Missing hardtop connection cover?

Started by dn, September 18, 2018, 23:37

dn

Hi all

Recently acquired FL model and there appears to be a bit missing - not sure exactly what it is, but I think it's where the hard top connects.

Anyone got a name/part number so I can search for it?

Call the midlife!

There should be a pair of blanking plates that cover where the hard top bracket would fit and also pin the body panels in place. Have a hunt around in the glove box/bins for them, they might be in a little black "purse". If you don't find them then clean up the rust and stick a screw in while you wait for one from one of the known dismantlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

SteveJ

There isn't a part number for them and they were never supplied by Toyota as a separate part - the only source will be a breakers yard.

BahnStormer

Quote from: dn on September 18, 2018, 23:37
[...]
[...]

eBay / breakers are you friends.... you need to search/ask for "MR2 hardtop blanking plates".

Will probably set you back anything from £15-£25 depending on postage, condition and if it incl bolts, etc...

e.g. eBay searches had these for £16.50-£20.
Blue
Sable
Red

Sorry - didn't see any silver ones on there today, but they're probably the most common... contact @Rutland MR2 - I'm sure they can help!!
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: BahnStormer on September 21, 2018, 08:22
Quote from: dn on September 18, 2018, 23:37
[...]
[...]

eBay / breakers are you friends.... you need to search/ask for "MR2 hardtop blanking plates".

Will probably set you back anything from £15-£25 depending on postage, condition and if it incl bolts, etc...

e.g. eBay searches had these for £16.50-£20.
Blue
Sable
Red

Sorry - didn't see any silver ones on there today, but they're probably the most common... contact @Rutland MR2 - I'm sure they can help!!
I think Dean (Rutland) is on holiday until October though so don't be surprised if you don't get a reply. That's if you're even seeing any of these replies to your question as you've not acknowledged any of them yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

BahnStormer

Quote from: Call the midlife!
I think Dean (Rutland) is on holiday until October though so don't be surprised if you don't get a reply. That's if you're even seeing any of these replies to your question as you've not acknowledged any of them yet?

Dean is away for a while longer (so forum comms might be "light"), but Dick is back (since last Saturday) and definitely sending out parts :) So give them a call as see if they have any in silver and save yourself a respray!
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

dn

Thanks everybody, fantastic information! Appreciate the advice and links :)

dn

I have managed to source a hardtop before I got the blanking plates which is good!

However, because I am missing the blanking plate, I am also missing the 'third' bolt for the hard top - I understand the fitting kit comes with 2 bolts, and you re-use the blanking plate one.

:'(

Tags: