Best stereo with the least amount of efforts

Started by ade1971, August 18, 2020, 06:35

ade1971

Hello sorry to start a new thread but but going back to car stereo.what the best car stereo CD player etc for my Toyota mr 2 I could buy that could be fitted with the lease effort ( as Toyota seems to be difficult) for around £100 ( not much) to maybe £150 any suggestions please
Yours ade71

shnazzle

Quote from: ade1971 on August 18, 2020, 06:35Hello sorry to start a new thread but but going back to car stereo.what the best car stereo CD player etc for my Toyota mr 2 I could buy that could be fitted with the lease effort ( as Toyota seems to be difficult) for around £100 ( not much) to maybe £150 any suggestions please
Yours ade71
Hi Ade. At the moment I'm quite a fan of the Kenwood DPX-7200DAB but it sits around the 170 mark.

Alternatively, my second choice is the series I have but newer. Sony WX-920BT which is available for not more than about 110. I've had mine for years and I'm still very pleased with it, and it's a much older model but same series.

Fitting should be the same for all radios. Unfortunately it requires removal of a good few panels to do it without scratching things and struggling with screws.
- Remove mats carpets (for easier access)
- remove the two pillar covers (grey things pop off and then 2 screws)
- loosen remove heater control panel (pull 3 knobs and slider off and 3 screws under the knobs)
- 4 screws hold the radio on

The wiring is easy. You just get a Toyota ISO adapter (about 6 quid off ebay or 11 at Halfords).
https://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/stereo-fittings/toyota-iso-t-harness-adaptor---ct10ty01-582053.html

You'll also need a surround. This is where things get a bit odd. The thing that looks best is if you get hold of a pre-facelift radio surround and trim the plastic on the inside lip. There is also the option of getting side-plates like these to cover the space on the right and left.
https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/toyota-celica-mr2-spyder-double-din-car-cd-stereo-fitting-kit-fascia-and-wiring.html?tracking=5e3b93d714794&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-O35BRDVARIsAJU5mQU0JY4WFo87iqIYeh2qn0SlprkU6g2dvtYrJsC1TJIYNKDdT1G26_EaAmxeEALw_wcB

One last MR2-specific "thing" is the aerial power. There's a blue wire that triggers the aerial. Unfortunately almost all aftermarket stereos trigger this wire when the unit is turned on. So your aerial is up even when you're just using Bluetooth or USB or DAB. A lot of us wire a small switch into the blue wire to be able to control whether the aerial goes up.
...neutiquam erro.

ade1971

Hello
Thank you for your answer but sorry to be a pain. As have been told that a touch screen would be the best option for my Mr2 my question has slightly changed. Can you buy a touch screen stereo for about £300 with sat nav built in and would fit my mr2 mk3 (double din etc) . Don't like to ask so many questions but I know little about electrical stuff and despite research I want to make sure
Thank you and hopefully some one could answer this question
Ade71

shnazzle

Quote from: ade1971 on August 19, 2020, 07:58Hello
Thank you for your answer but sorry to be a pain. As have been told that a touch screen would be the best option for my Mr2 my question has slightly changed. Can you buy a touch screen stereo for about £300 with sat nav built in and would fit my mr2 mk3 (double din etc) . Don't like to ask so many questions but I know little about electrical stuff and despite research I want to make sure
Thank you and hopefully some one could answer this question
Ade71
I would wholeheartedly disagree that touch screens are best. Quite the opposite. Glare with roof down and trying to push some button on the screen whilst focusing on driving and reaching down... Nah.

I tried it, I would never recommend it.

For satnav, personally I don't think you can really beat Google Maps so I just have my phone mounted in a simple holder above thr right air vent. Easy to read, easy to reach and voice controlled. "OK Google, navigate to xxxxx". Done. 

What I will say is a touchscreen does provide it all within one screen; music, satnav and.. Reversing camera input. 
Also a screen to display TorquePro output. 

Oh, and this is a place for asking questions and getting answers as well as being a close-knit Club so ask all you want and never feel bad for it. 

As for 300gbp budget. Definitely possible. In fact, people have had success with some eBay units from China that offer a LOT for little.
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Touch screens can be a bit of a nightmare in the 2s, they're definitely a love/hate option as they can be very hard to see with the roof down and if your on stiff suspension it can be difficult to actually hit the bit of the screen you're aiming for.
Another plus for the Sony systems is that there are some steering wheel stalks available for them.
60% of the time it works everytime...

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on August 19, 2020, 08:26Touch screens can be a bit of a nightmare in the 2s, they're definitely a love/hate option as they can be very hard to see with the roof down and if your on stiff suspension it can be difficult to actually hit the bit of the screen you're aiming for.
Another plus for the Sony systems is that there are some steering wheel stalks available for them.
Just for balance, the Sony stalks also work on the Pioneer touch screens
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on August 19, 2020, 08:31
Quote from: Call the midlife! on August 19, 2020, 08:26Touch screens can be a bit of a nightmare in the 2s, they're definitely a love/hate option as they can be very hard to see with the roof down and if your on stiff suspension it can be difficult to actually hit the bit of the screen you're aiming for.
Just for balance, the Sony stalks also work on the Pioneer touch screens
Yeah, everything but my Kenwood 😆
60% of the time it works everytime...

thetyrant

Change speakers before headunit would be my advice :D  this will give better sound and scope to sound even better with uprated headunit.

Agree touchscreen doesnt work so well in these, my MR2 came to me with a GT86 satnav touch screen headunit fitted and i found it hard to see/use in the MR2 due to location (it works much better in GT86 as its mounted a lot higher) so removed/sold it, refitted the stock fisher price style unit and found it much easier to work on the move, speakers will be my next audio mod if i do one as stock paper cones are pretty poor and old now!
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

shnazzle

Quote from: thetyrant on August 19, 2020, 10:05Change speakers before headunit would be my advice :D  this will give better sound and scope to sound even better with uprated headunit.

Agree touchscreen doesnt work so well in these, my MR2 came to me with a GT86 satnav touch screen headunit fitted and i found it hard to see/use in the MR2 due to location (it works much better in GT86 as its mounted a lot higher) so removed/sold it, refitted the stock fisher price style unit and found it much easier to work on the move, speakers will be my next audio mod if i do one as stock paper cones are pretty poor and old now!
I would disagree, sort of. I still run my stock speakers actually because with the head-unit change they were massively better.

We saw the same effect in both other MR2s we've had. The stock head-unit just isn't very punchy.

BUT... the "sort of" is because I've also given my stock speakers a lot more breathing room by installing my USW-10 active subwoofer under the dash. It means that the stock speakers can focus on everything above 80Hz or 100Hz (depending on how I have the filter set up) and the sub takes care of the rest. I can crank the volume up rather high indeed before the stock speakers distort.

So in conclusion; I would do head-unit and then replace speakers with a good set with better range (particularly low-end). Or, head-unit and subwoofer.
...neutiquam erro.

thetyrant

Fair enough but as you say you have eased what the stock speaker has to cope with frequency wise which will make a big difference, also i found they generate very little bass and updating them will help with that as well.

I only use my stereo in the 2 when on motorways trips to and from trackdays anyhows and for that stock setup does what i need, would be nice to have a little more volume/quality for when im in the mood though, im spoiled with the Alpine setup in my BMW which sounds amazing and is very loud when needed :D

Lots of options for OP anyhows :D
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Mr Lazy

@shnazzle, I have a question for future reference (upgrading the stereo isn't a priority at the moment). I looked up the Kenwood DPX-7200DAB that you recommended and I see that it comes with what looks like a DAB aerial (strange L-shaped thing). Did you fit this to the rear window and if so, did it still work ok with the roof down? Also, if DAB is always used and never analogue radio, can the power to the retractable aerial be disconnected?

shnazzle

Quote from: Mr Lazy on August 19, 2020, 11:41@shnazzle, I have a question for future reference (upgrading the stereo isn't a priority at the moment). I looked up the Kenwood DPX-7200DAB that you recommended and I see that it comes with what looks like a DAB aerial (strange L-shaped thing). Did you fit this to the rear window and if so, did it still work ok with the roof down? Also, if DAB is always used and never analogue radio, can the power to the retractable aerial be disconnected?
Just fitted it to the right side of the front windshield. Easy to get the cable there with a bit of prodding and I can honestly say if you hadn;t mentioned it, I would never have thought we had it there. it's just a tiny thin line so never obscures any view. And it's out of the areas A and B for MOT purposes would would never cause issues there,
...neutiquam erro.

Mr Lazy

shnazzle

Oh, and no you can't disconnect the aerial because it only uses that one for DAB. It still uses the stock one for normal FM/AM.
However, you can get another one of the thin (powered) antennas you stick on the windscreen (maybe the passenger side) and a FAKRA adapter. Then you can replace the stock aerial with that and turn the aerial off
...neutiquam erro.

tricky1138

Quote from: shnazzle on August 19, 2020, 12:08Oh, and no you can't disconnect the aerial because it only uses that one for DAB. It still uses the stock one for normal FM/AM.
However, you can get another one of the thin (powered) antennas you stick on the windscreen (maybe the passenger side) and a FAKRA adapter. Then you can replace the stock aerial with that and turn the aerial off

But you missed the Mr Lazy said he was not going to use FM/AM so yes he could just disconnect the aerial or connect a switch, as most have done, to only put the aerial up if/when you want it to.   
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

shnazzle

Quote from: tricky1138 on August 19, 2020, 13:33
Quote from: shnazzle on August 19, 2020, 12:08Oh, and no you can't disconnect the aerial because it only uses that one for DAB. It still uses the stock one for normal FM/AM.

But you missed the Mr Lazy said he was not going to use FM/AM so yes he could just disconnect the aerial or connect a switch, as most have done, to only put the aerial up if/when you want it to. 
as said on another thread.... I can't keep up with all the posts! :D
...neutiquam erro.

SV-3

Quote from: ade1971 on August 18, 2020, 06:35Hello sorry to start a new thread but but going back to car stereo.what the best car stereo CD player etc for my Toyota mr 2 I could buy that could be fitted with the lease effort ( as Toyota seems to be difficult) for around £100 ( not much) to maybe £150 any suggestions please
Yours ade71
Just ordered Sony WX-920BT (as suggested by @shnazzle) from Argos for £89.40 with free p&p.
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

Topdownman

I am another one who tried a touchscreen sat nav etc headunit.

I agree that it is too low in the roadster to be useable/safe and the sun on it makes it useless.

I now have a £50 sony single din. I cant hear it above 50 mph with the top down. I would just recommend one with big buttons and I would love a stalk controller again!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

shnazzle

Quote from: SV-3 on August 19, 2020, 14:04
Yours ade71
Just ordered Sony WX920BT (as suggested by @shnazzle) from Argos for £89.40 with free p&p.
Crikey!  Tempted to order me one to replace my BT-90. Same unit just 3 or 4 iterations newer :)

I'd sell mine for 50 quid
...neutiquam erro.

DanRS4x

Quote from: shnazzle on August 19, 2020, 14:58
Quote from: SV-3 on August 19, 2020, 14:04
Yours ade71
Just ordered Sony WX920BT (as suggested by @shnazzle) from Argos for £89.40 with free p&p.
Crikey!  Tempted to order me one to replace my BT-90. Same unit just 3 or 4 iterations newer :)

I'd sell mine for 50 quid
The BT-90 seems the perfect unit for our cars. Especially with the microphone fitted for handsfree calling.
Oscar (the Grouch) named for the grumbly exhaust note
2005 silver HT/AC, Stainless Creations twin exhaust, Tein lowering springs, Ultra Racing front strut brace, Dev's door bushings (more mods to come)

BahnStormer

"Best stereo" is a very subjective one...

Some people want bling, others just want something more modern or with better features than OEM with the best returns in terms of weight + cost. I'm in that latter camp.

Personally, I don't understand people wanting any screens/features down at their ankles, behind the gear lever - I'd prefer to run it all through a phone: mounted above the airvent - clear line of sight to the screen, not obstructing the view out the windscreen at all and all 2 inches behind the stalks, so no need to even lean forward - so provided the headunit has Bluetooth, the rest is easy - I run Waze + Spotfiy/TuneIn/BBCsounds.

When I was searching 3 yrs ago, all my shortlist included these factors:
Manadatory:
Bluetooth
Decent onboard amp (2x20W RMS targetted*)

Preferred:
Discreet fit
Light weight
Handsfree mic + controls.

My shortlist was narrowed down to the Alpine/Pioneer MOSFET amp units and I excluded the cost of DAB as it was still a premium and I am happy to stream radio on the odd occaision I need that.

* most of these "MOSFET 4x50W" units are very useable... they're NOT as good as standalone amps, but they're perfectly good enough for driving a decent pair of speakers. Don't be tempted with extra speakers on these though as they're the usual marketing BS ratings where they quote in "MPO" rating and with a high THD, by the time to look at the rating at an acceptable THD, but then allow for it only driving two channels it's a credible ~2x20W RMS, which is very reasonable.

I'm pleased to say that my final choice ticked all these boxes: Pioneer MVH-390BT (now discontinued, but sometimes available, usually <£50 incl single DIN conversion and surround)

I paired this with a £100 set of Pioneer component speakers with and active crossover and the difference is VERY noticable!

When I replaced my '2 a year ago, I first thing I did was swap out the double-DIN Garmin-based touchscreen Sony unit for same Pioneer I had before... looked for newer models, but decided to stick as there was nothing else that seemed like a significant improvement.

The only thing I'd change is larger / easier to find buttons / volume dial (like the Fisher Price OEM one)... but I'd want to keep all the features of my one.

This is all highly subjective, but I'd strongly recommend avoiding anything with a touchscreen / fiddly controls.
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Bossworld

I'm still running the Pioneer DEH-X8700DAB (single din) with a Sony RM-X4S stalk.

It pains me that the stereo displays haven't moved on from either the early 2000s (full dot display but only shows 3 lines of info max) or the 1990s - where they look like an old Casio calculator.

Understand that if you have a larger display, it makes sense for manufacturers to go touch screen, but seeing as my other car has Mini's version of BMW's iDrive, I much prefer having physical controls.

Only things I'd add to the discussion are that I found a whole world of problems with my DAB signal with a dashcam/USB hard wire fitted.  I changed over to a native 12v dashcam and the issues went away.

treeroy

Quote from: shnazzle on August 18, 2020, 08:30Fitting should be the same for all radios. Unfortunately it requires removal of a good few panels to do it without scratching things and struggling with screws.
- loosen remove heater control panel (pull 3 knobs and slider off and 3 screws under the knobs)

The wiring is easy. You just get a Toyota ISO adapter (about 6 quid off ebay or 11 at Halfords).
https://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/stereo-fittings/toyota-iso-t-harness-adaptor---ct10ty01-582053.html

You'll also need a surround. This is where things get a bit odd. The thing that looks best is if you get hold of a pre-facelift radio surround and trim the plastic on the inside lip. There is also the option of getting side-plates like these to cover the space on the right and left.
https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/toyota-celica-mr2-spyder-double-din-car-cd-stereo-fitting-kit-fascia-and-wiring.html?tracking=5e3b93d714794&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-O35BRDVARIsAJU5mQU0JY4WFo87iqIYeh2qn0SlprkU6g2dvtYrJsC1TJIYNKDdT1G26_EaAmxeEALw_wcB

One last MR2-specific "thing" is the aerial power. There's a blue wire that triggers the aerial. Unfortunately almost all aftermarket stereos trigger this wire when the unit is turned on. So your aerial is up even when you're just using Bluetooth or USB or DAB. A lot of us wire a small switch into the blue wire to be able to control whether the aerial goes up.

Hi @shnazzle

Apart from the different surround, is this the same with the prefacelift? You need to take off these panels to unscrew the Sony unit?

shnazzle

Quote from: treeroy on September 10, 2020, 17:10
Quote from: shnazzle on August 18, 2020, 08:30Fitting should be the same for all radios. Unfortunately it requires removal of a good few panels to do it without scratching things and struggling with screws.

Hi @shnazzle

Apart from the different surround, is this the same with the prefacelift? You need to take off these panels to unscrew the Sony unit?
I believe so yes. It's been about 4 years since my pre-fl :)
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

Quote from: shnazzle on September 10, 2020, 17:46
Quote from: treeroy on September 10, 2020, 17:10

Hi @shnazzle

I believe so yes. It's been about 4 years since my pre-fl :)
Patrick, you helped me do one in a JDM PFL (I hate acronyms!) only about three weeks ago!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Tags: