Alarm Siren Battery Backup

Started by Alex Knight, September 6, 2020, 20:53

Alex Knight

Hi everybody.

Unusually, I've got a little problem with my car!

When locking or unlocking using the remote, the siren is beeping 16 times.

A spot of googling tells me that the battery backup in the siren is now failing (to be fair it is 18 years old!), and needs replacing.

Does anyone know if you can just replace the battery, or would I have to replace the whole siren?

ManInDandism

Quote from: Alex Knight on September  6, 2020, 20:53Hi everybody.

A spot of googling tells me that the battery backup in the siren is now failing (to be fair it is 18 years old!), and needs replacing.

Does anyone know if you can just replace the battery, or would I have to replace the whole siren?

No clue about this one, but being curious I did some Googling myself.  This looks like a good link - even though it focuses on a Lexus, seems you can just replace the battery.
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

Alex Knight

Quote from: ManInDandism on September  9, 2020, 20:54
Quote from: Alex Knight on September  6, 2020, 20:53Hi everybody.

No clue about this one, but being curious I did some Googling myself.  This looks like a good link - even though it focuses on a Lexus, seems you can just replace the battery.

This is fantastically diligent research, thanks so much.

I have sourced a replacement (used) siren through eBay for £17, and replaced my old siren this evening.

Problem has been solved. No more false alarms, and siren is no longer beeping 16 times on lock/unlock. Happy days.

Bossworld

I think I may have hit this myself this morning. Thank you for the links

Alex Knight

Getting to that age I suppose.

We'll see a spate of them now.

Jonquirk

Mine's been doing it off and on for a while. Now I know what it is I have ordered a battery from someone on eBay for £26. A bit pricey for what it is but it does have the correct lead to plug straight into the alarm.

Tags: