Which Headunit + iPod connection???

Started by zud, April 30, 2005, 02:01

zud

OK, I need a little help deciding on h/u and iPod connection.  I've changed speakers to some trusty Focals, but have no plans to fit an amp.

At the moment, I have one of these Kenwoods fitted...
http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Kenwood_KDC_5090R
It's 4*47W and plays mp3's (so easy to keep lots of music in the car)  I'm considering getting a Dension ice-link to connect up my iPod... so total cost around £110 (?)

I also have Sony something like this lying around in the garage (it came out of my wife's old car)...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39763&item=5770703765&rd=1
I'm guessing it wouldn't sound any better than the Kenwood, and wouldn't work any better with a Dension(?)  Does anyone know any better?

My final option would be to ditch both h/u and go for one of the Alpine combos... say the CDA-9847R and KCA-420i like this (6th one down)...
http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/acatalog/alpine_ipod.html
The power output is about the same, but I keep hearing good things about Alpines.  And the iPod integration should be better.  SOooo, the big question is whether its worth extra money... approx £240 in total

Any thoughts/reviews greatly appreciated.  Cheers.
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

heathstimpson

Personally I would go for the Alpine as it is the best sound quality and at the end of the day that is the most important aspect when choosing a new HU.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

zud

I'm certainly tempted by an Alpine.  I guess it just seems a bit wasteful to have 2 perfectly good CD players lying around in the garage, especially when work's looking a bit tight at the mo!  My wife's new car (Vectra) has a nice integrated h/u as std, so no plans to reuse the Sony from her old car.

Anonymous

I notice you are thinking of connecting up your iPod - cheapest and easiest way to do this would be to get an "iTrip" - you can get them off ebay for about £30 - it's wireless too so keeps the car tidy.  I got 1 a while back and it has been great.

Anonymous

I would go for the alpine too, but remember a stock HU output is not 4x45 watts etc. On a test bench all head units give out on average 14 watts

crankshaft

I just bought & fitted the Alpine CDA-9855 & ipod interface, nice set but not sure about the glide touch - it's nothing like the ipod control !

Nice having the ability to control & charge the ipod from the head unit and have the track titles & run / remaining time with the ipod safely tucked away in the glovebox !

PeterC
2001 SMT - Pete

zud

Quote from: "nlwhite"I notice you are thinking of connecting up your iPod - cheapest and easiest way to do this would be to get an "iTrip" - you can get them off ebay for about £30 - it's wireless too so keeps the car tidy.  I got 1 a while back and it has been great.

I've given up with my iTrip! I rarely completed a journey where a frequency that was OK at the start was still OK at the end.  And it's pretty dangerous trying to retune on the move!!  It may come down to the busy airwaves where I live/drive... it worked much better when I tried it in Cornwall.  The iTrip is OK on a boat where you moving at 5 mph (on the Thames) but I've given up in the car.

Hope4Sun

Go for the Alpine option, all my mates have the iTrip, i just finished plumbing in Alpine head unit and interface in the 2 this weekend and its s nice not having to mess about with cables, etc. I've had one in the Skyline for a while and it does seem to pee my friends off that i don't have to retune all the time and select tracks from the ipod.

Just my 2 peance worth, but...

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

kanujunkie

just one point though, if you have a large collection on your ipod, then the Alpine controls are going to be annoying to say the least, they're awkard to use and will take you ages to find a track.

Zud, i'm in Surrey as well, if you fancy meeting and having a play with mine before you buy then drop us a pm
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

crankshaft

Thats very true Zanajunkie, the best way to quickly browse hundreds or thousands of song is still a rotary controller that you can spin quickly like the ipod interface. It would be much easier if the volume controller doubles as a way to navigate through your songs.

The new Glide Touch is ok for searching menus, but is pretty hopeless in browsing large numbers of tracks !

PeterC
2001 SMT - Pete

kanujunkie

unfortunatley i dont have the touchglide as my H/U is a 2003 9812RR, you guys may notice that this makes Alpines claims that you need a 2004 onwards H/U a complete load of tosh
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Hope4Sun

Quote from: "kanujunkie"just one point though, if you have a large collection on your ipod, then the Alpine controls are going to be annoying to say the least, they're awkard to use and will take you ages to find a track.

Zud, i'm in Surrey as well, if you fancy meeting and having a play with mine before you buy then drop us a pm

I don't have any problems with the Alpine head units controls, i press 1,2,3  to choose Album, Artist, Track ,then just spin the volume control wheel on the head unit the same as the iPod  s:) :) s:)

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

kanujunkie

same as mine, but if you want something say down near T, then thats approximaly 4000 songs to go through
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: