Meguiars Quik Clay

Started by Darth Paul, May 23, 2005, 09:48

Darth Paul

Used this on Saturday.

The car is now a year old and the paint (when clean) was feeling 'rough'. So I set Saturday aside to lavish attention on the car.

Started off by washing and drying it. Then used the clay. Pulled off a small amount from the bar, flattened it and set to on the car, using the supplied detailing spray as a lubricant. Took quite some time – lots of fiddly bits like the intakes – but well worth it. A panel at a time, removing the lubricant with a cloth as each panel was completed. By running my hand along the paint I could feel when it was clean – the difference between dirty and clean is so marked. I ended up using all of the bar on the paintwork, and used the now-filthy clay on the windows last of all. It's shocking just how dirty the car (and glass) were.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  And this was a year-old clean car.

Obviously once all this was done, the car was bare paint/lacquer, and the polish and wax protection needed re-applying. So two coats of polish (Autoglym Super Resin Polish) followed by a coat of wax (Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection). Took friggin' ages!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

But it was sooooo worth it. The paint appears darker, so rich is the gloss. Definately worth it, if you have seven hours to spare!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   So if your car when clean feels rough to the touch, go buy some clay!

MRMike

Completely agree with you Paul.  I use it every weekend, and It's absolutely fantastic.  I too couldn't believe how a car that I had washed twice, could still make the bar filthy.  I find it especially useful on the front for flies etc.  

I don't ever imagine cleaning the car without using one again! It really does make that much difference.  Also I find if you polish it, you really don't need to keep cleaning it to look spotless. In fact with just the clay bar and no polish my car looks better than, previously with loads of polish.

I used to use AutoGlym polish as well, until I tried Meguiars Gold Class, which is absolutely miles better IMO.  Really easy to get on, and off, and makes the paint look 3D and not a flat colour like it normally looks.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Quote from: "MRMike"Also I find if you polish it, you really don't need to keep cleaning it to look spotless. In fact with just the clay bar and no polish my car looks better than, previously with loads of polish.

It might look better for a while, but the clay strips off all the polish/wax, leaving unprotected paintwork. That will oxidise quickly, and in the long-run, you'll end up cutting back that oxidation to maintain the finish; never leave unprotected paintwork for more than day at most; always get some wax back on.

My recommendation for wax; Swissol

darrenjuggins

Hi,

Just to add to this thread, I purchased (on recommendation of Slancy) The complete 3 stage kit from Muguirr's.

I recently needed to replace the Quik Detailer, so purchased with the clay bar and I've got to say, it's a bit of a faff going round, what 4 times, Clay, Base, Polish, Wax.... but the results are excellent, offering a very deep rich shine on the laquer.

I have used Auto Gym (all the range of products) before and I think there is a place for all the polishes, depends on how much time you have to spare.....

Am I glad the 2's small, my dad came round at the weekend a in his new Disco and said, clean the car boy - so I told he, that what your valet team at works for !!! enough said!

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

MRMike

Quote from: "pmdye"
Quote from: "MRMike"Also I find if you polish it, you really don't need to keep cleaning it to look spotless. In fact with just the clay bar and no polish my car looks better than, previously with loads of polish.

It might look better for a while, but the clay strips off all the polish/wax, leaving unprotected paintwork. That will oxidise quickly, and in the long-run, you'll end up cutting back that oxidation to maintain the finish; never leave unprotected paintwork for more than day at most; always get some wax back on.

My recommendation for wax; Swissol

I do always apply a coat of polish.  I was just making the point that just clay barring the car, gives a finish that is better, in terms of smoothness than layers of polish on a car that hasn't had a clay bar.

I've tried Swissol, and it is very good stuff.  I personally think it's a bit harder to remove than megiuars though.  Zaino is really good stuff, but I can't be bothered to faff around for a day to do the full treatment. Plus buying that each time I needed to clean the car would make me cry.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

kanujunkie

and remind me again where you get this miracle of a cleaning product  s:?: :?: s:?:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Darth Paul

I got mine at my local auto shop, but can be found here:

w www.speeding.co.uk w

kanujunkie

cheers Darth  s:D :D s:D
[size=100]Stu[/size]

MRMike

Good call Stuart on finding out where the clay is sold..I asked at my local garage and he thought i was mad..CLAY? A CLAY BAR? to clean your car? CLAY?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

It's available in most Halfords, that's where i get mine from now.

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

kanujunkie

Quote from: "MRMike"It's available in most Halfords, that's where i get mine from now.

now thats a surprise, i was under the opinion that they only sold cr*p!
[size=100]Stu[/size]

so.simple

Check out this website about extreme detailing: http://www.autopia.org
Carlos

Anonymous

Quote from: "MRMike"I do always apply a coat of polish.  I was just making the point that just clay barring the car, gives a finish that is better, in terms of smoothness than layers of polish on a car that hasn't had a clay bar.

Ah, sorry, my mistake; I know what you mean now, and agree entirely; pure, clean paint is silky smooth and very shiny. Just doesn't stay that way very long   s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

My nearly 4 year old MR2 (only just aquired it) had rough paint. I used the best polish/wax/gloss protection, but nothing would make the paint smooth. Until I tried this product yesterday.

The results were miraculous, the paintwork did feel like glass once more and I am so chuffed.

Yes it took off all the protection I had put on it, but so what, the roughness was caused by environmental factors and probably a lack of upkeep by the previous owner, now the paint is fully cleaned, I can build up the protection again that you would with any car. As long as I keep the protection up, then I shouldn't really need to do it again, at least to the level I did yesterday, since it was probably the lack of polish and wax that caused the rough paint in the first place.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED....a fantastic product.

Stewart

Anonymous

What does 'The three stage' kit consist of?  I use Autoglym at the moment but thinking of getting some of this stuff and wondering what to buy?

Anonymous

In terms of wax, I can recommend either Zymol (about £10 in Halfords) which uses natural oils (coconut and banana) and makes your car smell incredible! But better still, Meguiars Nxt Generation wax - very very good indeed. Doesn't smell as nice as Zymol but smell isn't everything I guess.   s:D :D s:D  

Am I the only one who's got a fixation with the smell of car wax?!   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jono & Emma"Am I the only one who's got a fixation with the smell of car wax?!   s:? :? s:?

You're not alone there, I love the smell it leaves on your hands.  Have even thought of buying some for the wife as hand cream

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Bowman"
Quote from: "Jono & Emma"Am I the only one who's got a fixation with the smell of car wax?!   s:? :? s:?

You're not alone there, I love the smell it leaves on your hands.  Have even thought of buying some for the wife as hand cream
s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Probably just as good for a 1/10th of the cost  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

I can see it now, you go to the loo for a number 2, wash your hands, then put a top coat to keep out the UVB rays with some luxurious carnauba wax, sitting next to some tesco wash and wax   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

MRMike

Have to say I think Zymol wax is crap.  It's harder to get off than it would be to sand the car! If the cheap stuff is anything to go by, there is no way that I would buy there Zymol Royal Glaze at £5820

m http://www.vertar.com/zymol-estate-glazes.asp?pt_id=89 m    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Tem

Quote from: "MRMike"Have to say I think Zymol wax is crap.  It's harder to get off than it would be to sand the car! If the cheap stuff is anything to go by, there is no way that I would buy there Zymol Royal Glaze at £5820

m http://www.vertar.com/zymol-estate-glazes.asp?pt_id=89 m    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Funny, many seem to praise that stuff and I've been thinking of trying it myself  s:? :? s:?

Just about the only complaint I've heard of them is that they turn to poop in cold. Maybe under 0C/32F or around it, but anyways...are you sure yours didn't do that?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "MRMike"Have to say I think Zymol wax is crap.  It's harder to get off than it would be to sand the car! If the cheap stuff is anything to go by, there is no way that I would buy there Zymol Royal Glaze at £5820

Not experienced any trouble with Zymol, has gone on and off easily.  The finish in experience was better than Meguirs

MRMike

No definitely not due to the temp! I think it's awful to get off, and the finish doesn't last long at all..the megiurs gold class I use now is good for several washes.  

I also prefer the applicator that comes with Megiurs, makes application so much easier.

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

I agree that my personal choice would be the Meguiars over Zymol but Zymol not hard to remove IMHO - Perhaps too much was applied?   s:? :? s:?   Anyway - topic drift! Back to that Clay Bar...   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I cannot believe that Zymol are selling a wax for £5k. That's absurd...isn't it?  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

What on earth can give it a value of that, someone please enlighten me

Anonymous

I don't know if you guys can get the Mothers 3 phase wax system over there with the Quick detailer spray, but as far as I'm concerned  it is the only way to go.   also Vynelex and 303 protectant is a great way to go for soft tops.

Tags: