Meguiars Quik Clay

Started by Darth Paul, May 23, 2005, 09:48

SteveJ

Quote from: "samhain"I cannot believe that Zymol are selling a wax for £5k. That's absurd...isn't it?  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

What on earth can give it a value of that, someone please enlighten me

But they do refill the container for life for free  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tem

Quote from: "SteveJ"
Quote from: "samhain"I cannot believe that Zymol are selling a wax for £5k. That's absurd...isn't it?  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I suppose £5k wax with eternal refill is more value for money than half eaten toast for £20k  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  Some people just have too much money...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "SteveJ"

I suppose £5k wax with eternal refill is more value for money than half eaten toast for £20k  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  Some people just have too much money...
Where does the half eaten toast for 20K come from  s:? :? s:?    s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tem

Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Tem"http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4034787.stm
Some people definately have more money than sense  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Now i've seen what the three stage kit consists of, I think i might go for that and the gold class shampoo!  

I might get the clay bar too but will see the results of the above first!

Anyone used the metal cleaner on their exhaust tips as mine are a bit black?

MRMike

In all honesty the Clay bar will make the biggest difference! Seriously I reccomend everyone has one on a cord around their neck they are so damn good.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

what is the best wax for someone who likes things simple like me?   s:D :D s:D  

ive had a few recommended its just the one in this thread sounds a bit technial and i know i would do it. also whats the best product for roof cleaning/protection?    s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "nic_wigan"what is the best wax for someone who likes things simple like me?   s:D :D s:D  

ive had a few recommended its just the one in this thread sounds a bit technial and i know i would do it. also whats the best product for roof cleaning/protection?    s:? :? s:?

Many will tell you their preference so here is mine.....nice and simple P21s. Lovely easy to apply carnuba wax, the deep wet shine is to die for but the level of protection diminishes with heat. A synthetic wax, depending on your requirements might be better. They tend to last longer due to their additional compounds, I like Turtle Wax platinum wax with Carnuba (small percentage no doubt), smells nice too   s:D :D s:D

For roof I use Auto Glmn rubber and vinyl solution. Gives it a nice deep black look but as long as you wipe it on, it won't look horrible and shiny and unnatural

Anonymous

Using this clay, is it not a bit risky that you may put swirls into the laquer?

Chris

that certainly seems to be the fear of a few people, according to posts in the forum on the meguiars site...

i think i;m gonna try out the car wash (supposed to have softeners like that new flash jobbie) and also the nxt wax..

bring on the elbow grease at jae!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

It does look like good stuff....Just a bit fearful of that one thing. Comments would be appreciated on this matter.

Anonymous

I can only speak for myself when I say that this thing did not produce any detrimental results for my painwork.

Quite the opposite.

Anonymous

I suppose all I gotta do is try it, can't imagine it will cause much more damage than what the stone chips are doing to my car!

MRMike

There is a danger that if you use the same clay bar over and over on the same side then you might have problems.  After each clay barring I fold the bar over.  It's like putty so you can get a 'clean' side by re-moulding.

If you weigh up the potntial damage, versus the stone chips, bird crap, and general debris that ruins your paintwork it's a worthwhile risk IMO
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Ernie Ball

Just gave my '2 the first half of its full-on clean today.  Washed it with the AutoGlym shampoo, dried it, then Meguiar's quick clay over the entire thing (so smooth!), then AutoGlym Super Resin Polish, full hoovering, Autoglym vinyl treatment on the inside vinyl, TurtleWax 2-step soft top treatment and finally Turtle Wax extreme tyre gel for the new Toyos.

Tomorrow: another coat of Super Resin and then the Auto Glym extra protection plus I am jacking the car up and using my new pressure washer to blast all of the remaining muck from underneath and the wheel wells.

August's project is to rust treat and paint the rusting parts of the undercarriage.

By the way, got a great bargain at Argos of all places: 150bar pressure washer, 25cm random orbital polisher and 12v wet/dry car vac for 95 euro!  Considering that Halfrauds sell a similar polisher alone for 50 euro, I consider this a steal.

Anonymous

QuoteI like Turtle Wax platinum wax with Carnuba
That's what I use - and owning a black Spyder, I have to be on top of my finish. It's not the nee-plus-ultra of shines, but it offers the best combination of shine, UV protection, and longevity of any product available (according to my own research and published comparative matrices).

Began using the claybar a month or so ago. It's a very good product. However, the claybar isn't something you use every wash, rather, it's good at getting everything off the paint prior to doing additional work, like applying a paint sealant, where you absolutely want to be sure you aren't locking any kind of crap underneath. You also use it to remove stubborn marks that won't come off with standard wash soap.

A standard claybar should be able to detail a Spyder about 3 times, provided you fold it regularly.

Anonymous

I'm glad that everyone is seeing the benefits and quality of Meguiars products, especially the clay bar. I've been using them for some time and recommend cutting the clay bar into pieces either in half or in quarters. It means that if you have an especially dirty car that you don't contaminate the whole bar and that you can dipose of a really dirty piece rather than folding it into a cleaner area of the bar, if you get my drift.

My experience is that the clay bar should be used every few months rather than every wash. After clay barring, at least use some wax but I usually polish and then wax. The clay bar will help increase the depth and glossyness of the paint after any wax is applied immediately after it.

After treatment the paint on my non-metallic black Golf GTI looks liquid and as smooth as glass and that car has a real hard time at 30K per year, a lot of it at high motorway speeds.

Ernie Ball

A few people in this thread have said that this or that wax is hard or easy ot remove.

A question: how does one remove wax?

Darth Paul

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"A few people in this thread have said that this or that wax is hard or easy ot remove.

Clay bar removes everything. You need to wax and then polish afterwards.

Anonymous

I find that 3M microfibre cloths are pretty good - theyre kind of more abrasive but don't harm the body work so they cut through the dried wax easily. I bought a mutipack from costco but I'm sure that you can buy them supermarkets or maybe B&Q or Homebase.

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "Darth Paul"
Quote from: "Ernie Ball"A few people in this thread have said that this or that wax is hard or easy ot remove.

I'm pretty sure that you should polish first and wax (or use a sealant) afterwards.  Polish, if I'm not mistaken, not only cleans but is slightly abrasive.

In fact, although I put two coats of Super Resin Polish on when I did the car last week, I'm not convinced that the second coat is worth doing, since it may just be rubbing off the first.  I think one coat followed by the Extra Gloss Protectant should be enough.

Darth Paul

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"
Quote from: "Darth Paul"

I'm pretty sure that you should polish first and wax (or use a sealant) afterwards.  Polish, if I'm not mistaken, not only cleans but is slightly abrasive.

In fact, although I put two coats of Super Resin Polish on when I did the car last week, I'm not convinced that the second coat is worth doing, since it may just be rubbing off the first.  I think one coat followed by the Extra Gloss Protectant should be enough.

Yep, my bad – tis the other way round.

Anonymous

Planning to blitz mine with the Quik Clay for the first time this weekend! Looking forward to seeing a completely different astral black mr2 when i have finished!

Anonymous

Very impressed with this quik clay stuff. I`m amazed at the amount of dirt it gets off my 2, even after just having had a wash, love the smooth to touch finish it leaves. Here`s a few pics I took once I`d finshed, couldn`t resist as its the cleanest my 2`s been since picking her from new   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

Also I painted the calipers yesterday, scary experience, praying all the time I was doing it that I didn`t cock up

The engine bay was very rough before using the clay bar... Nice n smooth now   s:D :D s:D  

Infact the car was that shiny that the cat couldn`t look directly at it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Overall I`m very happy with the end result. Think a nice blast through the country lanes is in order   s:) :) s:)

Tags: