I do like shiny :)

Started by TheTigerUK, November 3, 2022, 18:17

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on December  8, 2022, 09:59From the cut away photo it is clear, to me, that aesthetics had little to do with the design/ manufacture of that system. It looks like it's been cobbled together with spare bits from the back of a plumber's van and assembled in a badly lit shed.

It does explain why it was/is uncheap: Imagine the welding effort going into that plumbing  :))

The most funny of all though is that the purists then nag over the imperfect welding of Malian mufflers flowing double at half the price.
Don´t get me wrong, slagging the slag of/on chinese welding is not out of order, just a bit out of perspective  ;)

Ardent

I love the look of the twin soft oval pipes. Just looks right.
I also adore the sound that comes out of it.

@Petrus has now explained why, the diff diameter tubes.
But to borrow from someone else's description of the sound. At idle, like an off beat wuffle.

This is the bit that bothers me.
I take the lovely sounding box, open it, re plumb in a more gas flowing efficient manner, sew it back up and completely bugger up the very sound I adore.

A case of choose your compromise.

Petrus

Quote from: Ardent on December  8, 2022, 21:57This is the bit that bothers me.
I take the lovely sounding box, open it, re plumb in a more gas flowing efficient manner, sew it back up and completely bugger up the very sound I adore.

That is a given. 

It is either or.

Personally I think that on a turbo the TTE has no place because of the in mý eyes contradiction in terms of having a turbo and then throttle it. But then that is from a tech pov.

The issue of modding the muffler to flow better and thus delete the sound is a different issue altogether. The main right of passage of thát muffler ís the unique sound. I think it should not be modded beyond repacking. Chapeau to you for leaving it alone.
There are also better flowing twin exit ones, p.e.;
https://malianexhausts.com/product/toyota-mr2-spyder-1-8-tte-catback-performance-stainless-steel-exhaust-system/

I am going to try to combine the decat midpipe with a better muffler than my no-muffler one. Twin exit though, however nice I think it blíngs, is per definition extra weight and :-*

Anyway, the cheapest and none too loud hp gain is simply fitting a decat pipe to the OEM muffler. That will add close to 7 kilo compared to my current set up and  :-*  :-*

Arrgggg first world non-problems  ;)  :))

TheTigerUK

My Christmas prezzie to myself, shiny door handles ordered, I believe !! (in Santa)  ;)  :)
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Petrus

Right, pushed the button. Different bling. A pity for Kitty.

Ardent

Petrus

Quote from: Ardent on December  9, 2022, 22:32Kitty is going?  :o

Yes. It pains me but needs must. As she will go from the rear she makes less sense on the front too. Nothing more suitable springs to mind yet. All the alternatives are too serious so for the time being she stays put at that end.

TheTigerUK

My shiny door handles arrived today, please note they are not bling they are shiny, in my eyes chrome and black are a good mix :)

Shipping from Japan after buying through Buyee is amazingly fast, superb service.

When I unwrapped them I thought I had ordered the wrong ones as they looked huge but all good.

Nice that they come complete with the new rod clip.

These won't be fitted until the nice/light/warm days come back to us.

Ardent

Joesson

@TheTigerUK said:

These won't be fitted until the nice/light/warm days come back to us.

Brighter times ahead!

Ardent

After tomorrow.
Roll on the shortest day.

Petrus

Quote from: TheTigerUK on December 19, 2022, 18:59Nice that they come complete with the new rod clip.

When you do, do not unclip the lock rod. Take out the screw securing it inside fírst and leave it inside the door. Saves a lot of fiddling and avoids the risc of breaking the clip. (have a look at Belle´s thread)
For refitting the yellow clip it is easier to have a helping hand raising the handle a few centimeters or stuff a bit of rubber under it.

Gpdyna

Nothing wrong with bling or a 'contrast' to the main body colour 👍
55 plate, Black 43k, now 2nd owner all standard when bought. Since fitted K & N, Markiii pipe, Pioneer stereo, dial chrome rings, petrol cap ring, Zunsport front/rear grills, Dev\'s keyhole covers, mini lip spoiler, TTE exhaust, replacement headlights and fog lights with driving rings fitted. Widermuller control knobs slider knob and backing plate, hazard ring. Brushed stainless switch surrounds. New brake discs n pads all round.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Gpdyna on January 19, 2023, 00:00

Nothing wrong with bling or a 'contrast' to the main body colour 👍

I do like the window surround !!

Dos it just clip over the original ? or...........

ps: Dibs if you ever sell it  ;)

Gpdyna

Unfortunately I bought it used, so mine unlike Bernie's is not perfect ☹️
It's tiger sealed on so I don't think there's much chance of it ever coming off!
55 plate, Black 43k, now 2nd owner all standard when bought. Since fitted K & N, Markiii pipe, Pioneer stereo, dial chrome rings, petrol cap ring, Zunsport front/rear grills, Dev\'s keyhole covers, mini lip spoiler, TTE exhaust, replacement headlights and fog lights with driving rings fitted. Widermuller control knobs slider knob and backing plate, hazard ring. Brushed stainless switch surrounds. New brake discs n pads all round.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Gpdyna on January 20, 2023, 00:41Unfortunately I bought it used, so mine unlike Bernie's is not perfect ☹️
It's tiger sealed on so I don't think there's much chance of it ever coming off!

Thanks, I will keep a look out.

TheTigerUK

A contact from my days in the engineering put me in touch with a very nice guy whos occupation is running a metal plating company so I visited him today with a largish chunk of rusty metal from my 2 and hopefully it will come back a nice chunk of special shiny metal in a couple of weeks time, there is always something that can be converted to shiny :)

Ardent

J88TEO

TheTigerUK

Joesson

Quote from: TheTigerUK on June 13, 2023, 11:50No coconut.

I'm guessing that you won't be giving up on driving your 2 for " a couple of weeks".
So my punt for a coconut is:

the exhaust manifold heat shield.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Joesson on June 13, 2023, 12:06I'm guessing that you won't be giving up on driving your 2 for " a couple of weeks".

I drive my 2 most days and I have a trip planed for later today, keep it to yourself but i'm off to buy a Bowls skirt for myself  :D  ;D

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on June 13, 2023, 12:06I'm guessing that you won't be giving up on driving your 2 for " a couple of weeks".

the black heat shield abobe/behind the muffler?

I will btw speak to the local wrap artist again about chrome wrapping the hard top.

Joesson

Quote from: Petrus on June 14, 2023, 20:16the black heat shield abobe/behind the muffler?

I will btw speak to the local wrap artist again about chrome wrapping the hard top.

That was my second thought, I think one or other of us have this right and that reference to a Bowling skirt was a flanking ploy so that  @TheTigerUK can hang  on to his coconuts!

TheTigerUK

Coconuts still safe in my keep :)

Tags: