About ´blíng´

Started by Petrus, December 19, 2022, 09:32

Petrus

As usual I wondered/wandered a bit beyond: Looked up the etymology of the use of the word ´bling´.

One striking element I found was:

The word "bling" reportedly came to full popularization by 1999 as the term "bling-bling." Cash Money Millionaires rapper B.G. wrote the title rap piece, "Bling Bling," which featured Lil' Wayne rapping the following lyrics:
"...Everytime I come around your city bling bling / Pinky ring worth about 50 bling bling / Everytime I buy a new ride bling bling / Lorenzos on Yokahama tires bling bling..."
The song held out for a time at #36 on the Billboard Top 100 and then continued to take root in the modern English vernacular.

So even though I was aware that ´blíng´ refers to more than sparkling/shining, I was a bit surprised that it refers to black wubbah too! I get it, it is to the coins they cost. Still; the light soáking, dark shining, hoops being ´bling´ I find über 8)  use of language.

Dev

It's about showing what you got to impress others in an overstated opulent way. Generally it's associated with a new rich mentality of being cliché.
 It's funny that a famous comedian commented on an interaction with a successful rap artist who said that millionaires were their bling necklaces on the outside and billionaires wear it on the inside.

I like it when people of taste are lured in to the unassuming and understated than showing all of your cards.

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on December 19, 2022, 16:07I like it when people of taste are lured in to the unassuming and understated than showing all of your cards.

I like nice lingerie too ;)  :))

Seriously, I would not dáre use a judgemental qualification about taste as there is no discussing it. Mý personal opinion is that if you got it flaunt it. Do as you like. As long as it does not tread on the rights of others, bugger theír taste or sensitivities. Blíng it on!

Dev

It reminds me of an old commercial.

Bernie

Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Petrus

Ok  @Bernie it shines and blings. No discuting thát. Whether it is ´bling´ .... nah, it still is a none too ostentatious Toyota cabrio which is in mý opinion ever such an endearing trait.

Speaking of bling and ´bling´, the resident female decided to have some bling fitted for X-mas or other. Polished titanium with two diamond cut zirconia blingies. Definitely sparkling bling but also definitely befitting Dev´s norm of understated worn on the inside  O:-)
Am curious as to whether and or how she will ´bling´ it. No worries as she is her own delightfully free self so can do as she thnks fun. Interesting bling versus ´bling´. Définitely fun both ways.

Petrus

Looking out over the parking lot of the local watering hole with little Esmeralda standing dapper between the regular dailies. She illustrates both bling and (non)´blíng´ really.

Petrus

J88TEO

:o
Now I am tempted to import one!

Petrus

Quote from: J88TEO on December 28, 2022, 14:12:o
Now I am tempted to import one!

They áre the dog´s bollocks, no doubt about it but from Japan it would also be the tail wagging the dog  ;)

Tags: