Fuel door

Started by Petrus, March 4, 2023, 10:42

Petrus

Stíll mulling over changing the fuel door into something less ... well, cheap looking.

The TRD embellishment ring does not do it for me AT ALL.

Tried a proper LeMans type pop up one, but nope. I have modded the thread to screw into the fuel neck but the angle makes it look silly. A pity because it is avñery cool cap and was quite a bit of effort.

Next idea:

Petrus

The fuel door opening needs 155mm to cover the opening. The one above is 160mm so should be good.
The panel also has a 10mm curvature though. Hmmm. That will need some shaving off of the plastic base.
Am a bit loathe to again order bits to experiment and risk it not fitting  ::)

@Bernie how curved is the TRD ring you have?

Bernie

Quote from: Petrus on March  5, 2023, 11:13The fuel door opening needs 155mm to cover the opening. The one above is 160mm so should be good.
The panel also has a 10mm curvature though. Hmmm. That will need some shaving off of the plastic base.
Am a bit loathe to again order bits to experiment and risk it not fitting  ::)

@Bernie how curved is the TRD ring you have?

Has a slight camber on it
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Petrus

Quote from: Bernie on March  5, 2023, 12:01Has a slight camber on it

The ham question is the measure of slight  :))  :))

Petrus

Again, like with the tonneau, a bit surprised nobody has tried/done this yet.

Bernie

Quote from: Petrus on March  5, 2023, 12:22The ham question is the measure of slight  :))  :))

As it only fits in the right orientation I guess the flap must have curvature to match the bodywork !

Sounds a lot of work and may look even worse than a horrendous chrome match for the door mirrors 😂

You cannot view this attachment.
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Petrus on March  5, 2023, 12:22The ham question is the measure of slight  :))  :))
Put a straight edge across the flap and measure the deflection...
60% of the time it works everytime...

Petrus

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March  6, 2023, 09:51Put a straight edge across the flap and measure the deflection...

Hence I measured the 10 mm. curvature.
Double checked with the one TTE fitter ring though  ;)
It´s a serious bummer that. Basically dictates something which need not be flush. Hence I previously tried a sunken flip up cap. The below with the thread adapted to the OEM neck.
Looks wrong with or without the drip tray.

Now the metal inner rim is quite deep so a flat flange would not be obvious. Thus the above universal one would work out ok IF the outer diameter would be under 150 mm instead of 165.
I have also thought of a flange with a proper flip up cap but the largest would be 3" and no way the plastic 70 mm fuel cap would come out and no, no way to make the filler neck to hook up to the flange/cap. As oberserved the angle is too awkward for anything.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Petrus on March  6, 2023, 09:58Hence I measured the 10 mm. curvature.
Double checked with the one TTE fitter ring though  ;)
It´s a serious bummer that. Basically dictates something which need not be flush. Hence I previously tried a sunken flip up cap. The below with the thread adapted to the OEM neck.
Looks wrong with or without the drip tray.

Now the metal inner rim is quite deep so a flat flange would not be obvious. Thus the above universal one would work out ok IF the outer diameter would be under 150 mm instead of 165.
I have also thought of a flange with a proper flip up cap but the largest would be 3" and no way the plastic 70 mm fuel cap would come out and no, no way to make the filler neck to hook up to the flange/cap. As oberserved the angle is too awkward for anything.
I couldn't understand why you were asking about the curvature of the TTE ring if you'd already measured the curvature of the fuel flap it sticks to...
60% of the time it works everytime...

Petrus

Off centre and angled.... ::)

Petrus

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March  6, 2023, 11:10I couldn't understand why you were asking about the curvature of the TTE ring if you'd already measured the curvature of the fuel flap it sticks to...

Double check with the real world.

Petrus

..and just loose non-fitted stuck in as sort of the idea

it would ´fit´ with the inner shroud taken out but that leaves a real ugly non finished hole.
Thinking of a polished alumium sleeve with flange covering the inner rim.

TheTigerUK

All that added weight !!  ;)
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Petrus

Quote from: TheTigerUK on March 18, 2023, 17:36All that added weight !!  ;)

It woúld be neutral but alas.

Tags: