Painting the badges

Started by Craigjm, April 2, 2023, 16:58

Craigjm

I will shortly be having some work done on my silver car. The calipers are going to refurbed and professionally finished in ford imperial blue and the wheels painted dark anthracite. I would like to colour the badges in the blue or anthracite too but being plastic chrome finish I am wondering how best to do this to make sure it's permanent and doesn't flake

Ardent

I don't know.
But I would consider something like a little pot of humbrol enamel paint.
And a big pot of diligence.

Joesson

If you wanted a colour other than Ford Imperial Blue I would go for the Humbrol enamel paint as Ardent suggests. Some years ago I met "Mr Humbrol" and believe that what goes into his paint is the best obtainable.

However, if you are wanting to match the Ford colour why not use a Ford touch up pen, if you are doing them on the car.  Better / easier , off the car when an aerosol would give  thinner coats. (Some body panels on the Ford cars are plastic). Remember that you may or may require a top coat of lacquer for best results, again I'm sure Ford will offer it.

You will of course need a big pot of diligence, unfortunately often in short supply.

SuperArt

This is a slightly different approach, but have you considered having the badges replicated as decals instead? I've seen some of our stateside cousins do this to great effect and it's not unlike Porsche's treatment of their more extreme RS models in the name of weight savings.

That or you could have someone 3D scan then print the badges in coloured plastic of your choice.
Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

Craigjm

Quote from: SuperArt on April  2, 2023, 18:21This is a slightly different approach, but have you considered having the badges replicated as decals instead? I've seen some of our stateside cousins do this to great effect and it's not unlike Porsche's treatment of their more extreme RS models in the name of weight savings.

That or you could have someone 3D scan then print the badges in coloured plastic of your choice.

That's an interesting idea I will have a think about that

Tags: