Stage 3 cams - VVT not engaging

Started by AJRFulton, April 4, 2023, 23:31

shnazzle

It can only be that.

Did you replace the Vvt sprocket as part of the diagnosis? Or is this a new one that has worked previously for you?

...neutiquam erro.

AJRFulton

Quote from: shnazzle on April  6, 2023, 20:11It can only be that.

Did you replace the Vvt sprocket as part of the diagnosis? Or is this a new one that has worked previously for you?

It's a brand new VVT sprocket. Only engine it's been on.

shnazzle

Quote from: AJRFulton on April  6, 2023, 22:10It's a brand new VVT sprocket. Only engine it's been on.
Ah OK. So unproven. Possible candidate as well then. Or did it also not work on other sprockets on the other 2 engines?
...neutiquam erro.

AJRFulton

Quote from: shnazzle on April  6, 2023, 22:22Ah OK. So unproven. Possible candidate as well then. Or did it also not work on other sprockets on the other 2 engines?

As said the only constant is the cams.

It has worked on the other engines, but failed also.

Alex Knight

Dev

The smart thing to do is connect a 2ZZ ECU and then pull the code. It will clue you into the actual issue without removing anything. If there is no issue then its your stand alone ECU.

AJRFulton

Quote from: Dev on April  7, 2023, 01:39The smart thing to do is connect a 2ZZ ECU and then pull the code. It will clue you into the actual issue without removing anything. If there is no issue then its your stand alone ECU.

Only issue is..... I don't have an OBDII port.

Anything not needed has been jettisoned on the loom.

pauls0212

I think Carolyn has the right diagnosis in that the oilways in the cam must be slightly restricted and not delivering the correct pressure.
red 2003 standard so far

shnazzle

Quote from: pauls0212 on April  7, 2023, 11:27I think Carolyn has the right diagnosis in that the oilways in the cam must be slightly restricted and not delivering the correct pressure.
Never mind giving my credit to @Carolyn :) 
...neutiquam erro.

AJRFulton

Ok.

The car had been sitting with full mineral oil (Miller's Motorsport running in oil) in it for about 6mths.

I opened the rocker and there was a smell. A very biological smell.

There appears to have been, what I can only describe as clusters of algae/bacteria, growing in the engine.

Definitely biological whatever it is.

Can only assume this has been playing havoc with oil lines.

Ardent

Carolyn

Interesting. I've not come across that before.  How are you dealing with it?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

mr2garageswindon

BG engine flush is bloody good stuff.
Used it on a 375000 mile E Class diesel, the new oil still was clean weeks after changing it. Unheard of on a diesel..

AJRFulton

Quote from: Carolyn on April 27, 2023, 12:11Interesting. I've not come across that before.  How are you dealing with it?

Double flushed engine with fully synthetic oil (cheap stuff). Then put in the miller's nt+.

Back at tuner tomorrow.

Put on OEM cams, OEM injectors, swapped solenoids, pulled out filter gauzes, changed VVTi sprocket, and changed cam sensor.

Also borrowed a 2ZZ ECU from JSpec, albeit for a automatic.

So work back from there.

However that configuration is worth too much time on track versus OEM (estimate about 2 seconds around Knockhill). With the spread of the field in my class being about 3 seconds.

I have blown air through things with no sign of blockage.

AJRFulton

So took car a spin around the roads (joy of living 5 miles from a town).

Lift seems to be engaging and I'd say VVT is engaging - it feels right. Wheel alignment is all over place though.

Nervous about keeping OEM injectors given the failure rate I've had, and car won't be competitive with OEM cams in it (as said uprated cams are gaining 1.5-2 secs a lap).

However it's a point to work back from.

AJRFulton

Ok. Cars been on Dyno. The ECUMaster Black is a bit of kit and feels like a huge upgrade.

Cams are now engaging, lift working - cars now on the right road. I fully expected it would take a few Dyno sessions to get this running sweet.

However car isn't pulling as well as it could and got a trigger warning on the cam sensor at 7800rpm that is saying it's missing a tooth and thus artificially rev limiting me to 7800.

VVTi is also fluctuating a fair bit, and again seems to be bleeding power.

Obviously the tuner is a generalist when it comes to engines and is far from a 2ZZGE expert.

Would anyone want a look at my ECU logs to help diagnose?

My clutch was giving issues at low load (unsprung paddle clutch...... And needs replaced).

I am currently running an OEM top end, but with MWR flat valves, MWR uprated springs and MWR titanium retainers - the internet is to put stage 3 cams in again once I get the OEM set up running.

You cannot view this attachment.

Or my Dropbox link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/52p5iglguf8y8yc/2ZZGE%20EMU%20LOG.zip?dl=0

mr2garageswindon

For some unknown reason, yesterday while daydreaming as I do at times I did think about this..
I'm sure you have but its easily overlooked..
Have you checked the lift bolts?
Could 1 be snapped?
Cheers.
Jon

Tags: