Headlight protection

Started by BARNPOT2000, June 8, 2023, 23:25

BARNPOT2000

Anyone got any thoughts on the best way to preserve a new set of headlights to try and avoid or at least delay the onset of yellowing, please?

I guess a coat of carnauba wax occasionally wouldn't do any harm?
TF099 silver

Dev

There are some detailing products sprays that are made to protect lenses from yellowing from UV rays.
I would just machine polish them up every two years and you should be good. My original lenses are 24 years old and look like glass. I'm sure there are exceptions to ones that cant be saved but I think people give up too easily with the failed methods like sanding and clearing.

Alex Knight

I did loads of research on this when I bought new lights, and ended up using this:

https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/products/sonax-profiline-headlightcoating-50-ml

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Alex Knight on June  9, 2023, 06:37I did loads of research on this when I bought new lights, and ended up using this:

https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/products/sonax-profiline-headlightcoating-50-ml
Have you found it to be easy to apply and effective?
TF099 silver

Alex Knight

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on June  9, 2023, 08:49Have you found it to be easy to apply and effective?

Extremely easy to apply.

Cannot say as to its effectiveness, as my car lives in a garage under a cover, and the headlights are still pretty new.

Ask me about that in 5 years.

Dev

Here is a product I recommended to a friend. I don't know the availability in the UK.
It's nice to see the industry making products like this than those awful sanding kits.

https://carcareuk.uk/product/meguiars-headlight-protectant/

Petrus

Thanks for that link @Dev.

Over here it is just about excusively abrasive kit crap.

So was starting to think about

further protected by

but the Meguiars was available here too so pushed the buy button!!!

@BARNPOT2000  the carnauba wax I have yearly used after a polish almost 5 years ago.

Joesson

My 2 is 21 this month and has spent over half it's life since 2011 in my care and garaged over night and 6 months a year. The light lenses are much the same as I recall when I bought the car ie could do with a clean to make them look brighter, but have never fancied abrading them, I wear specs and I know what anything abrasive does to them and it doesn't make them any better.
Conversely, my daily I bought new in 2011 and has spent it's life outside, the headlights still look clear and bright., have only washed the car with Simoniz car shampoo.. My daily is a Ford!

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on June  9, 2023, 16:36My 2 is 21 this month and has spent over half it's life since 2011 in my care and garaged over night and 6 months a year. The light lenses are much the same as I recall when I bought the car ie could do with a clean to make them look brighter, but have never fancied abrading them, I wear specs and I know what anything abrasive does to them and it doesn't make them any better.
Conversely, my daily I bought new in 2011 and has spent it's life outside, the headlights still look clear and bright., have only washed the car with Simoniz car shampoo.. My daily is a Ford!

On mine some polishing was simply necessary. The result was worth it. Photos in Belle´s thread.

We have three cars with plastic ´glass´ and the MR2 is mid way in ´aging´ under the harsh southern sun (most of last week we had UV level 11  :o  ). The 24 y.o. Suzuki Kei is hardly affected but the 15 y.o Korean SUV définitely needs yearly help  ::) 

Joesson

@Petrus
Your post #6 second / lower photo shows I know not what. Please enlighten me.

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on June  9, 2023, 19:09@Petrus
Your post #6 second / lower photo shows I know not what. Please enlighten me.

Headlight protection taken literally  ;)
Think bullbar for headlights.
Would be cool for an offroad MR2  ;D
Longer springs, high section narrower M&S / Raid rubber and it would not be half bad even.

Joesson

Quote from: Petrus on June  9, 2023, 19:32Headlight protection taken literally  ;)
Think bullbar for headlights.
Would be cool for an offroad MR2  ;D
Longer springs, high section narrower M&S / Raid rubber and it would not be half bad even.

Thank you, I think!
As for off-roading a 2, MrT did build a prototype ( or 2) before a rally regulation was changed and made that obsolete. But, iirc a member on here has/ is rallying a slightly modified 2.

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Dev on June  9, 2023, 13:10Here is a product I recommended to a friend. I don't know the availability in the UK.
It's nice to see the industry making products like this than those awful sanding kits.

https://carcareuk.uk/product/meguiars-headlight-protectant/
Thanks Dev, that product looks ideal but seems only available quite expensively via Poland or Romania to the UK but I haven't seen it available here directly unfortunately.
TF099 silver

Dev

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on June  9, 2023, 22:10Thanks Dev, that product looks ideal but seems only available quite expensively via Poland or Romania to the UK but I haven't seen it available here directly unfortunately.

It doesn't have to be this product. It's just an example that you could find something similar.

There is an alternative you can use which would also make your paint look great.
 About 10 years ago a product came to market called Ultima Paint Guard plus. 
 It is a sealant that you wipe on and you dont need to wipe off. It is revolutionary technology that bonds to paint for over 6 months and you don't need much product on the applicator. People are using it on their headlights because it is a UV blocker just like the specific headlight products that are being sold.  Just this one bottle should last you for over 10 years of using it on the entire car. 

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/ultima-paint-guard-plus

barchetta_ms

Off topic from headlamp protection but here's a fun use for an MR2:
https://mag.toyota.co.uk/off-road-mr2s/

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on June  9, 2023, 20:06Thank you, I think!
As for off-roading a 2, MrT did build a prototype ( or 2) before a rally regulation was changed and made that obsolete.

Based on the Mk.1 yes. There are supposed to be three still in existence and both one black and one white are exhibited in Japan tegulatly. One was rolled out in a UK rally event too. There was even a very accurate scale model sold.

QuoteBut, iirc a member on here has/ is rallying a slightly modified 2.

His project read really cool indeed. Has not been active recently sadly:

https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=72074.0

Over here in Spain one was competing in autocross (the European dirt version not the US parking lot one).  Should be on youtube even.

Being light and having VERY good traction on the rear wheels it is / should be quite good and with lsd entertaining.

I have done some classic car raids here in Spain and wold réally like to enter with my son in an MR2 Spyder when they qualify. A half cage and open fun on Spanish caminos; the goal being simply getting through the stages  ;D

Anyway, off topic indeed.
The Meguiars should be here Monday and will be used on three cars, incl. my little spider.

Tags: