Driver's window seal

Started by JohnGee, July 3, 2023, 10:04

JohnGee

Noticed this yesterday as I was getting the car out, a discontinuity in the line of the window seal, roughly half way along the top edge of the window. Passenger side unaffected and looking completely as it should.

Here it is from the inside.

Took my finger on an exploration trip and didn't see a lot more, other than a rather shiny piece of metal, presumably it's shouldn't quite be in this position (or should be attached to or restrained by something).

Sorry, last 2 photos not great, will try to get a better shot in the next 24 hours.

I'm guessing that I won't be the first person in the world to notice this. Thoughts please.

John

2006 Roadster, manual, leather, in Sable

Topdownman

Have you checked the top strap in case it has come undone? Looks like a bit of a bulge in the roof which can be caused by the press stud ending up in the wrong place?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

JohnGee

Quote from: Topdownman on July  3, 2023, 10:08Have you checked the top strap in case it has come undone? Looks like a bit of a bulge in the roof which can be caused by the press stud ending up in the wrong place?

No, I haven't, but I will do, many thanks.
John

JohnGee

Quote from: Topdownman on July  3, 2023, 10:08Have you checked the top strap in case it has come undone? Looks like a bit of a bulge in the roof which can be caused by the press stud ending up in the wrong place?

Yes, top strap had become detached on driver's side, thanks for the advice / suggestion. Tried to reconnect it, but clasp on driver's side is not engaging properly with strap fixing, looks like it is slightly damaged, 'teeth' on clasp slightly distorted (don't remember this being a problem before, can only think that there may have been some damage done shortly after top strap became detached in one of the opening or closing ceremonies).

Have tried some minor fettling with a screwdriver but still not getting a positive fixing. So, have removed top strap for the time being and the window seal line is back to normal.
John

Topdownman

The press studs can get damaged and squashed a bit once they come undone. If you can get it bent back into shape so it attaches again, try sewing up the velcro surround to keep it in place.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

JohnGee

Quote from: Topdownman on July  4, 2023, 22:04The press studs can get damaged and squashed a bit once they come undone. If you can get it bent back into shape so it attaches again, try sewing up the velcro surround to keep it in place.

Roger that, thanks.
John

Tags: