How to strip apart an outer cv joint

Started by jvanzyl, July 19, 2023, 20:47

jvanzyl

Hi all,
Can anyone point me to a guide or resource on how to strip apart an outer cv joint?

jvanzyl

Ok I'm finding info for other cars talking about hitting these things at specific angles which I'm not a fan of.

New idea- is it ok to just submerge the whole joint in brake cleaner until all the old grease is gone and then push in all the new grease?

Gaz2405

I just beat the shit out of mine with a big hammer to snap the circlip.... ;D
1zz turbo. Home built and home mapped.

Now 2zz turbo. Home built and home mapped

Build thread https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67004.0

Carolyn

I would wash it out with petrol, which will shift the old grease really well.  Dry with an airline and re-pack.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

jvanzyl

Quote from: Carolyn on July 20, 2023, 08:42I would wash it out with petrol, which will shift the old grease really well.  Dry with an airline and re-pack.

This sounds imminently sensible... thank you! @Gaz2405 i appreciate the option should I have the sudden urge to let loose with the hammer!

jvanzyl

Wow! That was fast! I was expecting it to need ages of soaking before the grease shifted, but apparently not!

Going to leave them in there till lunch time and then give them a blast with the air as suggested- thanks @Carolyn !

Joesson

Having cleaned mine in situ, following similar advice from @Carolyn, I thought your need was to disassemble your CV for reasons other than simply cleaning.
I would be very shy about hitting hardened steel, particularly where bearings  were involved, with a hammer.

jvanzyl

Quote from: Joesson on July 20, 2023, 10:04Having cleaned mine in situ, following similar advice from @Carolyn, I thought your need was to disassemble your CV for reasons other than simply cleaning.
I would be very shy about hitting hardened steel, particularly where bearings  were involved, with a hammer.

Nope- just cleaning, regreasing and replacing the CV boots. 150k miles is probably time to do it, plus there was some brown residue in one of them so I think there was a leak somewhere as well.

Joesson

Quote from: jvanzyl on July 20, 2023, 10:17Nope- just cleaning, regreasing and replacing the CV boots. 150k miles is probably time to do it, plus there was some brown residue in one of them so I think there was a leak somewhere as well.

It was April 2017 when my PFL 2 was at 62,500 miles I noticed a weep/ leak from the driver's side inner CV boot.
The oil OE grease was an emulsified "oil" and mostly ran out of the joint, I helped it along with a small paintbrush, I don't recall, if I used a solvent as the shafts were in situ and the boots were in good condition and didn't want to damage them.
I did re grease all the joints and replaced the clips with aftermarket type. Fortunately my neighbour at that time had a heavy duty professional type of pliers to fit the clips, as the pliers supplied with the clips was made of Chinesium and broke at first use!
I recall @jinxedkitten, not heard from these long days past, as having a similar CV problem but no other reports of similar leakages.
Is it that the leaks go unnoticed, unreported or don't happen to others and JK and I got the short straw?

jinxedkitten

Quote from: Joesson on July 20, 2023, 11:51It was April 2017 when my PFL 2 was at 62,500 miles I noticed a weep/ leak from the driver's side inner CV boot.
The oil OE grease was an emulsified "oil" and mostly ran out of the joint, I helped it along with a small paintbrush, I don't recall, if I used a solvent as the shafts were in situ and the boots were in good condition and didn't want to damage them.
I did re grease all the joints and replaced the clips with aftermarket type. Fortunately my neighbour at that time had a heavy duty professional type of pliers to fit the clips, as the pliers supplied with the clips was made of Chinesium and broke at first use!
I recall @jinxedkitten, not heard from these long days past, as having a similar CV problem but no other reports of similar leakages.
Is it that the leaks go unnoticed, unreported or don't happen to others and JK and I got the short straw?

Damn you've got a good memory!
Mine was caused by a slight error by my local mechanic - they'd applied heat to remove bolts somewhere on the wheel assembly when redoing the handbrake and managed to slightly melt a bit of the CV boot at the same time, fixed it foc for me though.
Custard Tart of the Urban Custard Collective<br />Yellow '00 - Frenzy style bar, TD Type LED spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Zero manifold, Markiii Pipe, Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, Matt Brace, front brace.

Joesson

Quote from: jinxedkitten on July 21, 2023, 17:56Damn you've got a good memory!
Mine was caused by a slight error by my local mechanic - they'd applied heat to remove bolts somewhere on the wheel assembly when redoing the handbrake and managed to slightly melt a bit of the CV boot at the same time, fixed it foc for me though.

Hello after a long time JK, hope all is well with you and your yellow 2. I did recall your problem but not the cause. Whether I'm the only owner whose CV grease turned into an emulsion or not I'm pleased that I noticed the leak and have grease back in the joints.

Carolyn

I reckon most of our members' cars will have dirty cream where their CV grease should be. 

Every one I've opened up was emulsified, unless it had been re-greased in the past few years.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Joesson

Quote from: Carolyn on July 22, 2023, 17:20I reckon most of our members' cars will have dirty cream where their CV grease should be. 

Every one I've opened up was emulsified, unless it had been re-greased in the past few years.

Your saying my car's not special ! ?

Tags: