Alarm issue

Started by Gaz mr-s, September 15, 2023, 14:16

Gaz mr-s

I've Googled this & not found the answer.

A pfl I've owned since 2018. The alarm & locking worked as normal.
Since 2020 it hasn't been on the road much & usually the alarm not set, or battery disconnected.
I now live in a 'rough' location, car ready for the road, so I want to use the alarm.

It sets, & after a minute or so the alarm goes off.  Pressing the 'unlock' button cancels it, but unless I open a door, the alarm goes off again. The battery voltage was 12.2V. Not fully charged, but I believe it has be down around 11V before it causes the alarm to sound.

How to fault it?

mr2garageswindon

Most likely dead batteries in alarm sounder. Mine is in my filing cabinet for that very reason!

J88TEO

Quote from: mr2garageswindon on September 15, 2023, 15:04Most likely dead batteries in alarm sounder. Mine is in my filing cabinet for that very reason!
Most likely...I can't start my Lexus because of "key not present"!

mr2garageswindon

Quote from: J88TEO on September 15, 2023, 16:29Most likely...I can't start my Lexus because of "key not present"!
Thats a different problem I suspect.
I had a Focus last week battery dead overnight (Lights left on) put jump pack on.. key not present..
In the storage bin behind parking brake is the magical place you have to put it to re recognise the key..
I don't like keyless cars..

Gaz mr-s

I wasn't making any progress, then saw the sounder battery info...
So I've disconnected it & it's not altered the alarm. ( the sounder went off for some time after disconnecting)

From the Toyota TVSS page it says "After turning the key to the ACC position, turn the key from the ACC to the
ON position five times (Last position : ON). Status Monitor LED will illuminate for 30 seconds."

I'm seeing no LED. ?

The document is for LHD cars.  I'm not finding one for RHD.  (presumably near-identical though..??)

J88TEO

normanh

Gaz - your problem might be the battery not putting out the correct voltage which might explain the alternator issues you have. I am not sure how the alarm reacts to a voltage drop a weakening battery over time might explain why its activating.

Norman

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: normanh on September 16, 2023, 18:01Gaz - your problem might be the battery not putting out the correct voltage which might explain the alternator issues you have. I am not sure how the alarm reacts to a voltage drop a weakening battery over time might explain why its activating.

Norman

You're confusing me with someone else.

Gaz mr-s

Can anyone shed any light.....post #5

Alex Knight

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on September 16, 2023, 19:26Can anyone shed any light.....post #5

Which LED can you not see?

The immobiliser or alarm LED?

Gaz mr-s

There's a flashing led when the car is unlocked, so I assume that's the Immobiliser.

So does the LED it refers to mean the alarm one..?

Alex Knight

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on September 17, 2023, 00:17There's a flashing led when the car is unlocked, so I assume that's the Immobiliser.

So does the LED it refers to mean the alarm one..?

There's a flashing LED in the centre by the heater controls, a small one. That's the immobiliser LED. The other, larger and also red one is the alarm LED. Which can you see?

paulj

The alarm LED is a larger one, in a rectangular switch panel behind the steering wheel.  Probably next to the lock/unlock button or window lock.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

normanh

Opps so I am lol. Still the battery can be an issue if it works on a voltage drop - switches on the bonnet and engine cover?

Norman

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: normanh on September 17, 2023, 17:22Opps so I am lol. Still the battery can be an issue if it works on a voltage drop - switches on the bonnet and engine cover?

Norman

Read the 1st post.

Gaz mr-s

I've identified the alarm led, - I'd never seen it illuminated before.  ::)  But it does.

From the pdf pages, - 'Connection & function test' -
Insert the key into the ignition key cylinder.
8) Wait for more than 5 seconds.
9) After turning the key to the ACC position, turn the key from the ACC
to the ON position five times (Last position : ON).
Status Monitor LED will illuminate for 30 seconds.

The light does not illuminate doing this.  ??????????????

........and doesn't say what to do if it doesn't.....

Alex Knight

This isn't meant to sound patronising, but are you sure you carried out the test correctly?

Have you tried multiple times with the same outcome?

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Alex Knight on September 17, 2023, 23:18This isn't meant to sound patronising, but are you sure you carried out the test correctly?

Have you tried multiple times with the same outcome?

I've tried different procedures, but until today I didn't know where to look for the light.  I haave an FL as well, so I'll maybe try the same test on it.  As said before, - it used to work...

normanh

I would still look at the battery

Norman

Petrus

Quote from: J88TEO on September 15, 2023, 21:57I haave an FL as well, so I'll maybe try the same test on it.

Mwah. If that one works ok, then best not mess with setting sequences.

As suggested; try the batteries; the car and alarm one.

Last resort is the alarm delete option.

Tags: