chain tensioner seal

Started by Jared, September 18, 2023, 13:06

Jared

Hi all, just a quick one.
I did try and have a look but I am about to have some work done on 2006 1ZZ, oil change, filter, rocker cover gasket nothing major and I picked up a chain tensioner seal from Toyota to change as I know these can be an issue. Me and the tech looked at a video on youtube and the job looks easy but he is worried that the cams might move when we remove the tensioner from the chain.
Is this something we need to take into consideration as when removed the chain is no longer under tension.
Are we reading into this too much or is there something else we need to do before the job.

Any input would be help full
Thank you all 

Joesson

Quote from: Jared on September 18, 2023, 13:06Hi all, just a quick one.
I did try and have a look but I am about to have some work done on 2006 1ZZ, oil change, filter, rocker cover gasket nothing major and I picked up a chain tensioner seal from Toyota to change as I know these can be an issue. Me and the tech looked at a video on youtube and the job looks easy but he is worried that the cams might move when we remove the tensioner from the chain.
Is this something we need to take into consideration as when removed the chain is no longer under tension.
Are we reading into this too much or is there something else we need to do before the job.

Thank you all 

Having changed the chain tensioner seal on my car and on another Member's there is no cause for concern about the chain or cams moving out of position.

Jared

OK cool, will hopefully be doing this tomorrow
Cheers

Carolyn

@Jared:  Read the 'how to' on the chain tensioner before you do the job.  We have an extensive reference section, which is what makes this site so useful.

If you like, I can send you an O ring that is an improvement on the OEM one (which can leak in short order).  Courtesy of the club.  Just send me a PM with your address.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

McMr2

Quote from: Jared on September 18, 2023, 13:06Hi all, just a quick one.

Thank you all 

There's a useful article in the how to section. It's important to reset and reinstall the tensioner correctly to avoid overtensioning the chain. Other than that it's quite an easy job.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Dev

As McMr2 pointed out you have to reset the tensioner by using the hook as you push in the tensioner. Once inserted you have to spin the motor in the opposite direction by way of the crank pulley using a ratchet and it will un hook and the tensioner will apply spring pressure against the chain guides.   

This is only for the initial start up so there is no chain slack in a rare case it might jump a tooth and even if you don't do it it will unlock anyway once the car is started and the oil pressure takes over the function of the tensioner. However it is safer to unhook it before the engine is started.

Tags: