Ipod conection for under £50!

Started by Anonymous, July 27, 2005, 16:48

Anonymous

**First off guys and gals this only works on the pre "fisher price" Sony head units (didn't want to get anyone's hopes up with the newer "sexier" model)**

Had it in and working on mine now for over a week- sound quality is perfect  s:D :D s:D  

The way this works is through the purchase of:

1, A lead to convert the music output from your ipod/mini into 2 RCA plugs, which will then plug into the back of the stock Sony head unit.

2, A "chip on a lead" that plugs into the multi-changer slot on the back of the stock Sony head unit.

Go's like this...
The RCA plug lead to connect the ipod/mini will not work on its own as the HU will not recognise the input. But when the second "chip" is attached, that tells the HU to accept it. You then simply press the CD button on the front of the stereo once for the normal single front load CD or twice to switch to CD2 for the ipod/mini... similar to skipping from FM1 to FM2 on your radio stations.

The first lead to convert the music output from the bottom (better quality) slot on your pod to RCA costs £15 from:  m http://shop.ipodworld.co.uk/iPodWorldSi ... s/PG16.htm m

The second "Chip on a short lead" costs £30 from:  m http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... /3047.html m

I now have mine wired through the dash (very simple- just pass it through) into the glove box, out of sight  s:!: :!: s:!:  

Hope this helps some folks, i have spent weeks trying to figure this one out the nearest i had come was a couple of companies that made kits for around £150-£300  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Mat

Anonymous

Will that work with a Sony WX-C570R that I have in my MR2? I think that's the standard MR2 unit, isn't it? The web site didn't list that unit, maybe because it's discontinued maybe because it doesn't work.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Outnail"Will that work with a Sony WX-C570R that I have in my MR2? I think that's the standard MR2 unit, isn't it? The web site didn't list that unit, maybe because it's discontinued maybe because it doesn't work.

that was the standard unit until the facelift version came out, at which point Mr.T had some form of mental collapse and put in the piece of rubbish we've all come to know as the Fisher-Price unit in  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

philster_d

show me

Anonymous

So my Sony HU will work with that solution - cool. Didn't occur to me that the newer unit migh not be as wel regarded.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Outnail"So my Sony HU will work with that solution - cool. Didn't occur to me that the newer unit migh not be as wel regarded.

i didn't say that, before you buy, let me have a look
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

your model aint on the list though for the link to the H/U the list shows that the following models are compatible

Sony CDX-F5500, CDX-F5700, CDX-F7500, CDX-F7700, CDX-M8800, CDX-M9900, MDX-F5800, MDX-M690, XRC-A370
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Hi,

Yep your/my stock HU (the WX-C570R) does work with this. I know its not on the sites list, but it is still a unilink unit and therefore works.

I know this as i have just come in from work and have been listening to my ipod mini on the way home  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

zud

If you have a CD multi-changer, you don't even need the second lead.  Just plug the iPod into the RCA sockets, leave the muti-changer plugged into the other socket, and away you go.  Only downside is the multi-changer is a bit more bulky than the "chip on a lead"!

Alternatively, buy an Alpine with the KCA420(ipod) interface.  Lots more money (~£250), but great sound and you can control the ipod from the h/u.
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice.

In the end I went for the Dension ICE interface which connects to the SONY HU and gives iPod control through the HU plus has a really good cradle.
 m http://www.essentialipod.co.uk/product. ... 51&xSec=17 m

I connected the cradle to the dash with a Brodit Proclip;
 m http://www.essentialipod.co.uk/product. ... 49&xSec=16 m

Fitting was a breeze because you can (just) get the connectors into the back of the Sony without removing any of the dash or the stereo itself (it's a phaff but I did it, get your head into the footwell and you can see the rear of the HU) - which I thought was a right result! So if you are thinking about this it is very easy to do yourself, you don't have to take anything apart.

I found Essential iPod were responsive, helpful and delivery was very fast. Plus I saved myself £120 on what my local car audio centre were going to charge for the same unit fitted!

Tags: