Big Brake Kits...

Started by GSB, August 21, 2003, 12:26

GSB

Yes I know the MR-S can out-brake just about anything on the road, and no I'm not about to put my order in for them. Just pointing them out as a mere curiosity... So dont flame me, its not worth the wear and tear on your keyboard.

Anyway, here you have it. 330mm x 30mm (13 inch x 1.2 inch) slotted and drilled rotors with 4 pot calipers available in red or blue. The whole kit is available from rotora for $1695 USD. Thats about £1070...

http://www.rotora.com
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

How can you suggest that - the stoppers on the 2 are fantastic - WHAT WERE YOU THINKING.... oh, you said dont bother flaming you... sorry!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I quite fancy a set of big stoppers like that! Not sure i would ever spend that sort of money on them though!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:D :D s:D

Tem

That site doesn't seem to like me at all...

I was just wondering, if those would be lighter than the stock thingies..? And by how much..?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Nope, not bothered. I already feel like I am hitting an oncoming train when I hit the stoppers hard, so I don't think I will bother with them!!!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

The price would be justified if they came with low pad warning.  

Another feature the MR2 lacks...  Even my 10 year old Audi had a warning light for when the pads needed changing; now I have to rely on sqeeky noises...

Tem

Quote from: "Emmanuel"Another feature the MR2 lacks...  Even my 10 year old Audi had a warning light for when the pads needed changing; now I have to rely on sqeeky noises...

I don't miss one...I like to know how much pads I have left pretty much all the time anyway. Not only when I run out.

But you can buy aftermarket sensors for those, if you really want that feature.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"That site doesn't seem to like me at all...

I was just wondering, if those would be lighter than the stock thingies..? And by how much..?

hmm could be lighter but i'm thinking it might not rust....
Would they fit stock wheels?

**edit** they shouldnt weigh to much, they are grooved and drilled which helps a lot with weight, BUT they will burn pads I would think.

***edit*** the do just normal groved discs front - $187 rears - $139 but I really dont think any extra stopping power could be gotten from them I think the only way to get more stopping power is to up your pads and tires.  Even race prepepd MR2s still use the stock stoppers.

Tem

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"hmm could be lighter but i'm thinking it might not rust....
Would they fit stock wheels?

**edit** they shouldnt weigh to much, they are grooved and drilled which helps a lot with weight, BUT they will burn pads I would think.

They would probably be rustfree...(just a guess though).

I'm sure it won't fit stock wheels as the disc itself is 13". My guess would be that they need 16" wheels...

And about the weight, the disc would probably be around the same as stock. A bit bigger, but lighter compared to size. But the calipers in big brake kits are usually very light, made from aluminum or something.

Edit: There was a big brake kit for Mk1 MR2 that had 11" discs and it barely fit inside some 14" wheels.

Edit2: I agree about the stopping power. Probably wouldn't give any, since the stock ones have enough power to engage the abs all the time. It's the weight that got my attention..

mph

You'll need to re-adjust the brake bias after installation. The calipers will be heavier than ours and grooved discs eat pads. Cross-drilled discs are liable to crack

If you want better-than-stock performance, just buy better pads!
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "mph"The calipers will be heavier than ours

You sure?

I remember holding HUGE calipers from Supra and wondering how come they weight nothing  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "mph"The calipers will be heavier than ours

You sure?

I remember holding HUGE calipers from Supra and wondering how come they weight nothing  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Yeah if they are good they should weigh less, but I totaly agree they will eat pads and give nothing back for it.  Better pads and better rubber thats the only way to get better stopping.

GSB

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"Yeah if they are good they should weigh less, but I totaly agree they will eat pads and give nothing back for it.  Better pads and better rubber thats the only way to get better stopping.

Agreed, but if you want to take advantage of those better pads and better rubber, and use it to its full extent on a a repeated basis, (track use) then you'd want bigger discs to give you better control and modulation of the braking forces and dissipate the additional heat energy, 4 pot calipers to apply more force to those discs, and slotted or drilled rotors to reduce wieght and ensure that things like pad glazing are reduced in order that the performance of the brakes stays constant, and doesn't change with temperature and use.
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Thing is mate, there isnt any point.  REAL race MR2s still use the same brakes only changing the pads (we are talking about 300bhp MR2's here) as i'm sure Cin will tell us  s:) :) s:)

GSB

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"Thing is mate, there isnt any point.  REAL race MR2s still use the same brakes only changing the pads (we are talking about 300bhp MR2's here) as i'm sure Cin will tell us  s:) :) s:)

I know that, To be honest you'd have to be mad to go to trouble of fitting a kit like this, but if you had a car that wasn't quite so over endowed in the braking dept, then the above points would be a lot more valid...

Just promoting healthy debate, and pointing out the new products  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

I think Tem's statement echo's my own thoughts.  The brakes may be great, and bigger discs/different pads may help, but as I can already engage the ABS without much difficulty, surely the limiting factor is the tyres.  Sure track use and fade is of interest to some, but not really relevant to me.

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"but if you had a car that wasn't quite so over endowed in the braking dept, then the above points would be a lot more valid...

Sorry didn't mean to sound like I was arguing, your right in every way  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

the project velside has got a brake upgrade but i cant rember what it was i think it was 6 pot bremo's but dont quote me i will find out tonite after rugby pratice

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"the project velside has got a brake upgrade but i cant rember what it was i think it was 6 pot bremo's but dont quote me i will find out tonite after rugby pratice

lol the VS HAS to have huge stoppers, the stupid size wheels have to have a upgrade to make it stop as well as a stock MR2 because of the extra turning (NOT joking here)

Anonymous

yeah i know the proper VS dose WD but  a friend of mine is getting the kit fitting at teh moment and 18" wheels too, so at the same time she upgraded the brakes

but she hasn't got teh turbo just an apexi induction and some japan make exhuast !

when the projects complete i will post pics   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"If you want better-than-stock performance, just buy better pads!

And fluid, if you intend repeated, heavy braking, and want to avoid boiling the stock stuff.

Anonymous

Quote from: "pmdye"
Quote from: "mph"If you want better-than-stock performance, just buy better pads!

And fluid, if you intend repeated, heavy braking, and want to avoid boiling the stock stuff.

Some SS lines wouldnt be a bad thing, better than the stock rubber.

Tem

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"Some SS lines wouldnt be a bad thing, better than the stock rubber.

Now that you mentioned it...anyone selling sets for Roadster?

The 30.000km service mentions changing brake fluids...might as well change the lines while I'm at it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"Some SS lines wouldnt be a bad thing, better than the stock rubber.

The 30.000km service mentions changing brake fluids...might as well change the lines while I'm at it.

Thinking about it, I have no idea.  I'm 100% sure somebody does them.

Anonymous

Geoff Mohler at SpeedToys

Anonymous

Quote from: "pmdye"

Geoff Mohler at SpeedToys

I should add that I considered them In Nov last year (but didn't bother in the end). Quoted costs (with Porterfield R4S pads) were;

QuoteFor pads + SS lines:  $361.08 to your door via CC or paypal.
For pads only:  $237.32

Tags: