Top Secret Turbo

Started by heathstimpson, September 17, 2005, 11:32

heathstimpson

I have read back through all the posts but have found very little actual information on the top secret turbo. Anyone want to enlighten me on what they think about this kit compared to the others along with the pros and cons. Thanks.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tem

If you have some specific questions about it, I'd be happy to let you know. But it's impossible for me to compare it against any other kit, cause I have no experience about them  s:? :? s:?

I think it would be unfair to compare something you own against something you only read about, so I won't go there...

Here's what you get with 10psi:
 m http://www.xtendednet.com/dyno1.jpg m
(those are wheel hp)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

heathstimpson

I'm looking at all the options for going turbo Tem. Hass was at the top of my list but their diabolical customer services has put me off. TTE is an option but the power output is restrictive (do get a warrenty though). The new CS looks an intersting option. Hung has a secondhand top secret set up for sale but there are the added worries of buying second hand from the States. Most look to not even consider this TS kit and I was trying to establish why its so low on the suggested turbo list  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"I'm looking at all the options for going turbo Tem. Hass was at the top of my list but their diabolical customer services has put me off. TTE is an option but the power output is restrictive (do get a warrenty though). The new CS looks an intersting option. Hung has a secondhand top secret set up for sale but there are the added worries of buying second hand from the States. Most look to not even consider this TS kit and I was trying to establish why its so low on the suggested turbo list  s:? :? s:?

Most don't consider getting the top secret kit for a couple reason (that I can determine)

1. The kit is so expensive. The kit alone before the intercooler kit retails for over $5,000 Us dollars. I have the top secret intercooler kit which retails about $1,700. Then the kit doesn't come standard with a BOV. So that was extra. Also you need to upgrade you injectors with this kit. So that was extra.  Plus the fuel pump. And last but not least the engine management. It doesn't come with anything. So I bought the Apexi power FC. which is around $1,000. THEN you have to tune it! Costed me $600 more dollars to to have it dyno tuned, because I didn't buy the Commander. (the unit that allows you to tune it yourself) So lets add that up:
$5335 for the turbo kit
$1710 for the intercooler kit
$250 for the injectors
$200 for the fuel pump
$150 for the BOV
$1,000 for the Power FC
$600 to dyno tune @ a Apex-i dealer

2. Thier kits are made to order. Which would give you a wait time of anywhere from 4-6 weeks.

The main reason I bought the kit was because I worked something out with them. I have a friend that owns a shop fan factory in Taiwan, and  worked out a trade. This kit is great. I made 261WHP with this setup. Also another contributing factor is that I purchased a Top Secret bodykit for my  spyder and I wanted to match brands. Cheezy or not that was one of my main buying motives.

Anonymous

Price is another reason why people don't buy the Apex-i turbo kit for the spyder

Tem

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Most look to not even consider this TS kit and I was trying to establish why its so low on the suggested turbo list  s:? :? s:?

IMHO, price, the lack of pretune and "missing" bits like BOV, injectors, pump...(which equals more price). AFAIK, no one thinks there's actually anything wrong with the kit itself, quite the opposite actually. Of course a used kit doesn't have those worries in the first place.

Their list price of $5335 isn't the whole truth though. Japanparts has the kit for 3000e and apparently people have bought these for less (new). Where and how...I don't know.

Of course a used kit is always a used kit. Turbos don't last forever, even if you buy a new one. New turbo doesn't cost a fortune though and you can always have it rebuilt for even less, should it be worn. Rest of the kit doesn't really wear out during normal use anyway.

I really wish I had some real life experience of Hass, TTE, C2, PE and whatever, so I could compare them, but I don't. So I'll just say I love my Top Secret kit  s8) 8) s8)

PS. I bought mine used  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Hass was at the top of my list but their diabolical customer services has put me off.

Understatement of the year!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"Hass was at the top of my list but their diabolical customer services has put me off.

Understatement of the year!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

So much so it's still sitting in the lounge!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Heath,

If your 2 is your daily drive, why not consider the PE kit? AFAIK, plenty have opted for this kit with no reliability issues. The power is sufficiently adequate for street driving.

Exitium in Singapore is a member here, and he's running the PE kit. You may want to pm him about this kit. FWIW, I may consider this kit sometime next year though I am tempted to go with a custom 300+bhp turbo kit in Singapore!! But power is not everything to me. Handling, manageability of the extra power is my top priority in this daily driven ride. Such factors are imperative to me, and must be undeniable.

Hass HAD been the top of my turbo list awhile ago. But now, it is not even in the list for reasons you have spoken about. If I'm in UK right now, I will not hesitate to get the TTE kit. Though the premium for this kit is less than desirable, the warranty that comes with it is something you can rely on in the events of a turbo breakdown.

Consider what you wish to do with your 2 with regards to the availability of the various turbo options around you as well as how much you are willing to spend on it.

philster_d

How much money do you decide to throw into the hole.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "simontan75"Heath,

If your 2 is your daily drive, why not consider the PE kit? AFAIK, plenty have opted for this kit with no reliability issues. The power is sufficiently adequate for street driving.

Exitium in Singapore is a member here, and he's running the PE kit. You may want to pm him about this kit. FWIW, I may consider this kit sometime next year though I am tempted to go with a custom 300+bhp turbo kit in Singapore!! But power is not everything to me. Handling, manageability of the extra power is my top priority in this daily driven ride. Such factors are imperative to me, and must be undeniable.

Hass HAD been the top of my turbo list awhile ago. But now, it is not even in the list for reasons you have spoken about. If I'm in UK right now, I will not hesitate to get the TTE kit. Though the premium for this kit is less than desirable, the warranty that comes with it is something you can rely on in the events of a turbo breakdown.

Consider what you wish to do with your 2 with regards to the availability of the various turbo options around you as well as how much you are willing to spend on it.
I knew I should have bought Perry's turbo kit when I had the chance  s:? :? s:?  
I am tempted by the TTE offering but along with price its the restrictive power output; will this be enough in another year I keep thinking to myself  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

I think it would be Heath, and if it's not I'm sure there's always going to be something you could do to it to give you any extra power you'd want...  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

But could you though? The only reason anyone would go with this kit is the warranty, surely? To up the power would void this, and also to up the power you need to re map the piggy back ecu. I doubt there using a emanage or unichip so who would be able to do it?

Power is a bug, i was so happy at the begining with 6.5psi, then came 7.5 then up and up. Now 10psi is my daily, only as 12psi spins the clutch and i haven't the time to change it yet. The PE is a small turbo but it has amazing spool time and it can produce enough power for the stock internals anyway. From what i've seen it seems to produce the same power as a Hass kit with 2psi more pressure, ie Hass at 6.5psi the PE needs to be 8.5psi.

I would snap a Hass kit up over the PE kit anytime BUT not while they are making such an arse of there delivery, and i'm afraid i can't see anyone over here taking the risk of buying off them again.

Tem

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"The only reason anyone would go with this kit is the warranty, surely?

Personally, I'd like it for legal issues. TÜV-approved kits are the only ones that can be legally installed over here...
(of course one can always get the approvals himself, if the budget allows)

I'm not sure if they'd warrant my 5-years old engine anyway?  s:? :? s:?

Tags: