Newbie tuning advice

Started by Anonymous, September 29, 2005, 22:27

Anonymous

Ok hopefully be hoping to pick up an MR2 shortly - by what i can gather the best route for tuning is the Unichip and the Exhaust system.
Which would be the best exhaust, i have seen Scott and Hayward, and the TTE one available from Toyota also the magnex one seems quite good.

I would definitely love to see 150-160bhp if possible (maybe a turbo conversion at a later date)

What sort of performance comparisons could i expect with this, i mean 160bhp in a car this light i imagine would make it fly.

Thanks guys!

Bongo

H&S is lighter than stock and gives a slight power boost with the rest of the car stock.

TTE is heavier/same weight as standard and gives no performance gains.

I don't know much about the magnex.

You could also look at an improved inlet pipe and air filter to improve the breathing and hopefully allow more gains with a unichip.

Induction kits don't seem to do much good in this car due to sucking in hot air from the engine bay.

Anonymous

I'd go for (in order of buying) H&S exhaust, Markiii inlet pipe, TRD air filter, then finally a Unichip tuned specifically for your car (to take into account the mods).

I could also be tempted by a new manifold (either the PPE or TRD) as well, but you'd definately be better off getting all your 'extra' mods sorted before getting the Unichip: you only have to pay to get it tuned once that way.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

And welcome!  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Cheers much appreciated

Jap GT300

Quote from: "Ekona"I'd go for (in order of buying) H&S exhaust, Markiii inlet pipe, TRD air filter, then finally a Unichip tuned specifically for your car (to take into account the mods).

This is definately the best way to start tuning.  Mark had brilliant results with this setup.

BTW the Air filter is a TRD Panel one that sits in the stock airbox.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Bongo"TTE is heavier/same weight as standard and gives no performance gains.

TTE is about 2/3 size of the stock one and a darn bit lighter as well, no readable performance increase although the H&S will only give you about 2Bhp anyway
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

loadswine

The Magnex is about the same size and weight as stock as far as I recall.
The Magnex website may make claims as to power increases, but they don't seem to be that noticeable. Difficult for me to quantify as I gutted my precats when I did the install. Noise is a pleasant burble and not too brash. The standard 4" tips are a bit big for some tastes. Got used to it now. Hope this helps.  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

markiii

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "Bongo"TTE is heavier/same weight as standard and gives no performance gains.

TTE is about 2/3 size of the stock one and a darn bit lighter as well, no readable performance increase although the H&S will only give you about 2Bhp anyway

the TTE is 2lbs heavier, and even according to TTE adds no performance.

it's classed as a cosmetic mod.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Ekona"I'd go for (in order of buying) H&S exhaust, Markiii inlet pipe, TRD air filter, then finally a Unichip tuned specifically for your car (to take into account the mods).
Exact order I did them in  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: