Confused about Toyota kits

Started by Anonymous, February 6, 2006, 10:32

Anonymous

Hurrah for the forum being back online!

Just a quick one really. I'm slightly confused as to whether the TRD stage 1 and 2 kits are the same as Toyota's own bodykits for the MR2.

The new kit that is currently in the Toyota MR2 catalogue is the one which has the front valance which has flared sides, like a turned up nose on each corner. Did they do a kit before this that looked more like a standard sort of euro bodykit? If so, is that what the TRD Stage 1 kit is? Is it still available to buy direct from Toyota?

I did a search but got a little confused as to whether I could just pop down to Mr T and ask for a TRD Stage 1 kit!

markiii

OK lets start from teh beggining

TRD Stage 1 and Stage 2 are badged this way in the US only, they are not supplied by Toyota in the UK at all. However you will find some independent stockists.

In Japan tehy are available but not badged TRD, there they are known as Toyota Elegance packages.

In the UK Toyota GB supply an offiial Toyota Bodykit, it's official as in ToyotaGB but not Toyota Globally, it's only available in teh UK and totally different to the TRD kits.

TTE supply a Wing, new bumper,new rear inserts, and new side vents. However they make no bodykit persee.

TTE stuff is available anywhere there is a dealer, Toyota UK choose to sell all but the bumper. While it comes badged as TTE in teh catalogues in the UK it's just labelled as a Toyota Accessory.

hope that helps.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Ahh perfect thank for clearing that all up for me. So, I could buy a TTE kit from Toyota, but they would only supply side valances and rear bumper, not the front? Alternatively I could just buy the ToyotaGB bodykit in full from Mr T and that's the one that's shown in the catalogue?

I think I get it now!

markiii

TTE is not teh same stuff as teh Toyota UK bodykit

They make no side skirts, and no rear bumper.

they make a front bumper not supplied in the UK and they make inserts for the rear bumper and replacement side vents, and a spoiler, that is sold in teh UK, but these are still different to the Toyota UK kit.

in short the different types are

TRD Stage 1 or Stage 2(Elegance in Japan) (front, rear, and side skirts)
Toyota UK (front lip, rear lip, side skirts) Only available in UK bear in mind there are different front lips for pre and post facelift models.
TTE no side skirts, no rear bumper, Front bump[er not available in teh UK, rear inserts, side vents, spoiler are sold in teh UK by Toyota in addition to teh UK kit, but they don't call them TTE in teh catalogue.

ALL teh above are completely different to each other.

In addition there is a Toyota Euro rear lip spoiler available.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Liz

I thought that you had ordered a body kit from where you purchased the wheels from?   s:? :? s:?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

kanujunkie

heres the TTE pn's

Description   TTE Part-No./TMME Part-No.      

Front bumper   AM27917/PZ439-W0430-00

Fog lamp kit for   AM27991/PZ439-W0510-00
Front Bumper      

Rear Spoiler   AM27919/PZ439-W0450-00

Rear Grill Insert   AM28034/PZ439-W0491-00
with alloy mesh      
paintable      

Roll Bar chrom   AM27987/PZ439-W0410-00
Diameter 50 mm
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks everyone - great stuff, much appreciated!

Liz yeah, I had done, but now that it's been lowered I dont think the other kit is practical as I'll have a nightmare with speed bumps as the one I had ordered previously was seriously low - cant face all that driving over speed bumps sideways lark. Just want something a little more understated, like the Toyota UK one...

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"TRD Stage 1 and Stage 2 are badged this way in the US only, they are not supplied by Toyota in the UK at all. However you will find some independent stockists.

In Japan tehy are available but not badged TRD, there they are known as Toyota Elegance packages.

I think they have three packages in Japan.

1) Toyota Traditional Sports Package, not really a bodykit at all, just chromed windshield frame, mirrors, side intakes, rear bumper insert and stripe tapes. The rear bumper insert changed with the facelift.

2) Toyota Elegant/Aero Sport Package, which is known as TRD Stage 1 and Sportivo bodykit in US, comes with lips around the car and is different for facelifted cars. It was called Elegant for 1999-2002 and changed to Aero for the facelift.

3) Toyota Fun Sports Package, which is known as TRD Stage 2 in US and comes with a replacement front bumper, sideskirts and rear bumper lip. I believe this is the same for all years, except some color changes to match the facelifts.

Rear wing is available for all three.

Then there's the TRD bodykit, which is a widebody and is no longer in production. Came with a big wing as well.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

if your going to get teh Toyota UK one, make sure it is for teh preface lift and you'll be lucky if they have any left as they were selling them off for silly money some months ago.

Jap GT300

That was post face lift that was being sold off!  Pre face lift ended long ago.

There is a similar kit being sold on Ebay.

Silverstone Performance

While we are on the subject, we have been looking at the spoiler from the 'Fun Sports Package'

From what has been said, is it a TRD one sold as an official JDM Toyota accessory without TRD branding.  If it is TRD, they don't seem to offer it.  Has anyone sourced this?

kanujunkie

thats the one Dan's(Ekona) got
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "Silverstone Performance"While we are on the subject, we have been looking at the spoiler from the 'Fun Sports Package'

From what has been said, is it a TRD one sold as an official JDM Toyota accessory without TRD branding.  If it is TRD, they don't seem to offer it.  Has anyone sourced this?

It's a Toyota item, not TRD.
(it was sold as TRD in US, but has since been discontinued)

You can get it through  m http://www.japanparts.com/ m  for example. Or get a copy from  m http://www.spoilerdepot.com/ m . The copy doesn't have the brake light cover though.

kanujunkie

[size=100]Stu[/size]

roger

I've got the copy with the brake light, via Ebay from Direct Sales & Design in the States. £190 painted and delivered.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

kanujunkie

nothing on ebay at the mo
[size=100]Stu[/size]

roger

Quote from: "kanujunkie"nothing on ebay at the mo

Yeh, it appears only infrequently, presumably not as much demand as others. Presumably you were looking at the US site?

If SP are interested I can look out the details.
Roger

Silverstone Performance

Thanks guys, very helpful and useful.
Trouble with body kit bits is personal taste, we all like different things.  This spoiler is one of the best looking we've seen, although the TTE one suits the car really well In Our Opinion... just wanted something different for ours.

Bongo

Quote from: "Jap GT300"That was post face lift that was being sold off!  Pre face lift ended long ago.

It was definately pre facelift being sold off... I bought one.

Anonymous

Yeh me too, got the same spoiler as Rogers for my 5 month old 2 and i personally think it finishes the car off perfectly. Was a bit worried at first but glad I put it on.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "ml02mrl"Yeh me too, got the same spoiler as Rogers for my 5 month old 2 and i personally think it finishes the car off perfectly. Was a bit worried at first but glad I put it on.
I registered one of these with my insurers 12 months ago but still not sorted out sourcing and fitting  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

I've seen around an Audi TT style spoiler for MR'2. (MS DESIGN ONE)
i was wondering if this is adjustable during installation.
I do not like it being horizontally installed, I'd like a lean of 45  degress. Is that possible?

Tem

Quote from: "SimosSpyder"I've seen around an Audi TT style spoiler for MR'2. (MS DESIGN ONE)
i was wondering if this is adjustable during installation.
I do not like it being horizontally installed, I'd like a lean of 45  degress. Is that possible?

Anything's possible, if you mod it.

But no, it's not really adjustable.

Anonymous

Does anyone know how much the facelift Toyota UK kit is?

roger

Quote from: "kris13"Does anyone know how much the facelift Toyota UK kit is?

Presumably you mean side skirts and spats. You will have to check it out with MrT. Retail is £1K ish, but some months ago they were trying to get rid of their stock at the £200 mark. We understand some colours sold out, whether any are still available, I don't know.
Roger

Tags: