'01 Silver - The daily commute smile machine! (Turbo build)

Started by jvanzyl, August 10, 2016, 15:05

jvanzyl

Continuing on in the trend of "butt ugly yet functional" I added the next section to the oil drain on the sump side. Very happy with the angle.

Then I convinced the turbo side drain to play ball by chopping it, adding an angle and then welding that together.

Ran out time so will test it out attached to the turbo next and also see how my waste gate arm functions.

jvanzyl

Test fitted my revised turbo oil drain.
It's getting there but is still not angled enough to miss the drive shaft.

So I added some more pipe in my usual style! This should force the pipe to clear nicely.. Test fitting tomorrow.

jvanzyl

Yay it works!

Took the sump off and gave it another rinse.. tomorrow I'll try to dirko it.

jvanzyl

Finished(ish) the waste gate actuator arm. No idea if I've melted the innards in the process.

Dirko'd the sump and popped it on.

Then reattached all the lines going from the turbo minus the vacuum.

jvanzyl

So I had a bit of a mind fog on what to do next... I'm settling for starting the process of fitting the oil catch can.

And I had tidy as it was time for that

jvanzyl

Amazing how much clearer you can think when things are tidy..

Attached a breather to the bulk head side of the engine, and then blocked off the corresponding port on the throttle body.

I then took off the pipe work for the pcv valve connection and attached the pipe work for the catch can. With the out port from the catch can going back into the intake.

I have a question for people- this pipe work here with the blue connectors- this goes to the intake and provides a source of vacuum? I was going to T off it as a source for my vacuum block.

jvanzyl

Quick point of clarification..
I need to install the MAP sensor which will go into the Emanage ultimate. I'm also installing the Profec boost controller. Both of these require I think the same input (see picture below- 4mm hose that goes in behind the throttle plate) and so the intention is to T off that pipe work (with the blue connectors) and attach to the aforementioned devices. Is this sounding about right?

Call the midlife!

If you look at Dan's build thread there's a lot of good info regarding the vacuum lines and how to set them up. It's been that long since I did mine and then subsequently ripped it all that I can't remember for certain either.
I'll be scratching my head again this year if I try fitting it all to the sable but there's also every chance I just put it all in a pile on fleabay.
60% of the time it works everytime...

jvanzyl

Quote from: Call the midlife! on March 28, 2024, 06:52If you look at Dan's build thread there's a lot of good info regarding the vacuum lines and how to set them up. It's been that long since I did mine and then subsequently ripped it all that I can't remember for certain either.
I'll be scratching my head again this year if I try fitting it all to the sable but there's also every chance I just put it all in a pile on fleabay.
Shall do now thank you!

jvanzyl

Excellent shout on looking back at @dan944  thread..

Started the vacuum plumbing- I'm probably going to aim to mount the vacuum block above the battery, thing is I need to mount the boost and map sensors as well.. so might make a bracket that can hold all of them.

Weirdest thing with the boost solenoid.. I can't figure out what the thread is! The nice barbs that came with my vacuum block don't go in properly and I'm reluctant to force anything.

It's as though they are a slightly bigger than 1/4 NPT, but not M10 as that's too big and not M8.. so I'm not sure what to buy to get a barb that will go into it?!

Carolyn

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

jvanzyl

Piping and air filter arrived..
Yes it is taped on.. it will get upgraded to duct tape when in get a chance- the pipe fits exactly over the turbo, but has difficulty fitting within the pod filter, so I I've bodged in there. Should work though?

Call the midlife!

Are you happy with the size of that filter? Looks a bit on the small side, does it quote a flow rate?

jvanzyl

Quote from: Call the midlife! on April  1, 2024, 20:47Are you happy with the size of that filter? Looks a bit on the small side, does it quote a flow rate?

Erm.. no such info
https://amzn.eu/d/4Jciemj

You reckon bigger?

Call the midlife!

Aaah, looks bigger when you see it on the side, in your pic it just looks around the same size as the pipe. You can't tell it's the mushroom shape with bigger surface area.

Petrus

would it be possible to route the hose so that the filter is behind the rhs intake vent?

jvanzyl

Quote from: Petrus on April  1, 2024, 23:52would it be possible to route the hose so that the filter is behind the rhs intake vent?

I WOULD like to - and I'll have another look at it, but the only way there that isn't too narrow would be going back under the engine I think.

Trying to go round the sides is too tight, plus I'm sure there will be engine movement which will make any existing gaps variable.

thetyrant

Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Petrus

Quote from: jvanzyl on April  2, 2024, 08:53I WOULD like to - and I'll have another look at it, but the only way there that isn't too narrow would be going back under the engine I think.

Trying to go round the sides is too tight, plus I'm sure there will be engine movement which will make any existing gaps variable.

Loop óver? I trust you have the carbon canister out so should be space thére.

The filtyer is on the snallish side but if you keep it meticulously clean it should be OK. Fof
 that too it would be nice if you could route it to the side vent. Behind the rear light cluster it dustier.

jvanzyl

Quote from: thetyrant on April  2, 2024, 09:16Way to small for a turbo 1800cc engine imo

Right thank you.  any suggestions for size?

thetyrant

Quote from: jvanzyl on April  2, 2024, 09:49Right thank you.  any suggestions for size?

Will try to find the spec of the one i used which was well suited, even if it was NA i dont think that filter would flow enough and be a restriction, turbos engines require a lot more flow also so need to factor that in.

thetyrant

jvanzyl

Quote from: thetyrant on April  2, 2024, 10:33This is the air filter i used and a good size for application.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392060429468

Ah thank you!
Going to go for the 60mm ID one..

jvanzyl

So I've figured out what goes where in terms of vacuum tubes! Yay!

Had another look at gaps for reaching right hand side vent and it's all too narrow..

Oh and better air filter ordered

Tags: