A thought on making the 2 lighter

Started by custardavenger, May 15, 2009, 08:24

custardavenger

As some of you may know I've just reconditioned a set of brake calipers, an I couldn't help noticing when I was carrying them to the car how heavy they are. I have just weighed them and they come to 3.5Kg front and 4.5Kg rear.

While I was gathering information into reconditioning Toyota brakes I came across an article online (can't find it now) about Prius brakes being Aluminium (definately the fronts, not sure on the rear) and it got me thinking. Toyota do have a great reputation for parts being swappable. Would Prius calipers fit on an MR2?
If so that would be a great way to reduce unsprung weight, and as long as pads were available (doubt theres performance pads for the Prius) then this might be a very worthwhile swap. Would be great for the racing boys as well if they are allowed to do it?

So anyone got a Prius?

There is one in my works car cool but I think they'll frown on me taking the wheel off for no reason.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

muffdan

a frown never hurt anyone  s:) :) s:)
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

I have often wondered where the major weight savings could be made. Having had the seats out recently, I am sure there is plenty to be saved there. They are amazingly heavy.

Then you could get drilled rotors (drilled in the disks) & drill them with 4 more through holes in the hub section, 45deg out of position from the wheel studs.

It would be interesting to strip down a damaged car to its bits and evaluate how much weight it could loose.

spit

Quote from: "sjspitz"It would be interesting to strip down a damaged car to its bits and evaluate how much weight it could loose.

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  - Clicky
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

markiii

or even closer to home

l viewtopic.php?f=46&t=12479 l

:-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

darkday

Tags: