Corkys like breastplate

Started by FuZZy_gr, January 1, 2010, 09:22

grsymons

whooooa, I was just about to PM you about these Paul!   s:D :D s:D

Paulm

Coolio,
They're being milled tommorrow, the only thing I'm not sure off is if we need to add on the angle brace. I can get the 8mm without done for £100 or a 6mm with angle for £110 ??????
What do people with a proper engineering brain think ?
Performance:  4.2ltr V8 380hp conversion - DTA S80 ECU- DTA S80 EMS - Ferrari F360 exhaust - de-Cat\'d
Handling : Brace bars front & rear - EBC Drilled and Grooved - 205/225/40/17 - ETA Beta Alnir\'s- 2\'s rUS drop links - Ultimate breastplate
Future uprades - Supercharger- Ultimate floorpan brace and front brace - 355mm discs - Widebody kit

Paulm

Should be able to a group buy discount too
Performance:  4.2ltr V8 380hp conversion - DTA S80 ECU- DTA S80 EMS - Ferrari F360 exhaust - de-Cat\'d
Handling : Brace bars front & rear - EBC Drilled and Grooved - 205/225/40/17 - ETA Beta Alnir\'s- 2\'s rUS drop links - Ultimate breastplate
Future uprades - Supercharger- Ultimate floorpan brace and front brace - 355mm discs - Widebody kit

Anonymous

I am willing to bet you won't see any difference between these two options because that part of the car becomes so stiff compared to other locations.

Though from a purely engineering perspective I would bet on the reinforced thinner one being notably stiffer when used as one 'side' of a box section (as it is on the MR2 chassis) subject to a combination of shear, twist & bending. I would run a quick analysis to prove it but my software licence is tied up with real work (boo!).

ad_car_08

Hi all, I've managed to make my own variant to the corkeys brace using the drawings/measurements uploaded to this thread. I'm unsure of how big the holes should be though. The updated drawings suggest they could be 7mm, but it didn't seem a definite answer. Can anyone confirm the size please?
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

Paulm

Finally heres the breast plate cut, looks fantastic, now we need ato come up with a name for them.

Thought I'd do a trial fit to make sure they're OK

Took about 10 mins to do and fits really well, speaking to the machinist he's willing to knock a few more quid off for a GB, do you think its worth setting one up. Also I think its worth developing the breast plate into a full floorpan plate, probably work out to be for TTE money but for a full Corkey like plate any thoughts ?

grsymons

Looking great Paul, full floorplan plate sounds more interesting though   s8) 8) s8)

ad_car_08

Can anyone confirm the hole size??
[/size]

Paulm

Not sure what hole you mean, but all teh dimesions are on teh drawing

Anonymous

Quote from: "Paulm"Finally heres the breast plate cut, looks fantastic, now we need ato come up with a name for them.
Took about 10 mins to do and fits really well, speaking to the machinist he's willing to knock a few more quid off for a GB, do you think its worth setting one up. Also I think its worth developing the breast plate into a full floorpan plate, probably work out to be for TTE money but for a full Corkey like plate any thoughts ?

...someone get me dimensions and any sketches and I will knock up the drawing as well as do some basic optimisation of the design...

Paulm

Hi Stuart,
I'll get it measured up and sketched and send it over, the base will be the breast plate with, struts coming off it going to the 4 corners of the floorplan.

ad_car_08

Quote from: "Paulm"Not sure what hole you mean, but all the dimesions are on the drawing

The 6 holes that secure the breast plate to the car. One diagram says they're 7mm, but indicates it's not 100% sure
[/size]

ChrisGB

Quote from: "ad_car_08"
Quote from: "Paulm"Not sure what hole you mean, but all the dimesions are on the drawing

The 6 holes that secure the breast plate to the car. One diagram says they're 7mm, but indicates it's not 100% sure

There are no indications that they are 7mm on any of the sheets that I can see from the latest download. The holes to fix the plate to the car are dimensioned at 11mm diameter. The original pieces are not all the same (although the bolts are). From the rear of the car the piece with two holes has a 9mm hole and a 9 x 12.3 obround. The front piece, on its rear edge, has a 9.1mm hole nearside, 11.1mm hole offside and on its front edge an 11.1mm hole nearside and a 9.1 x 11.1mm obround offside. These are designed to allow for manufacturing tolerance in the floorpan drill and set nut positions. If you wanted to be pedantic, you could do all 6 holes at 9.1mm and then ease them a little to fit the floorpan. However, doing them all at 11mm should work out OK. The only proviso I have with this is that with an aluminium plate like the Corkys, the bolts chew into the ally. With a steel plate they may not, it needs someone to fit one up, run the car and check to see that there is no movement against the bolt faces to be absolutely sure, but it should be ok to just drill at 11mm all round.

There is a note 4 on the drawing that appears to relate to note 5 in the general notes box regarding the position of the cut outs for hose clamps. This states the dimension for the hole position has been slightly increased for clearance to the RSA and refers to a dimension of 71mm increased to 77mm.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

backseatbarry

I'm looking to design and fabricate my own breastplate, but the file-sharing account hosting the original drawings seems defunct. Does anybody happen to have files or the positional measurements of the bolt holes? Would be greatly appreciated!

jvanzyl

Quote from: backseatbarry on July 11, 2023, 00:28I'm looking to design and fabricate my own breastplate, but the file-sharing account hosting the original drawings seems defunct. Does anybody happen to have files or the positional measurements of the bolt holes? Would be greatly appreciated!

Fair enough if you want to make your own, however you can buy an even better one from @Snelbaard  who makes them and a whole other bunch of braces.

backseatbarry

I'm located in the US, so unfortunately it's out of my financial means to buy from Snelbaard. I do have access to plenty of 'scrap' alloy from my college, so machining my own breastplate is something I'd like to explore if not for the heck of it ;D

Tags: