Tyres

Started by Jimmy2, April 5, 2023, 19:20

Jimmy2

Hi jimmy here .what would I be paying for  four new tyres
Jimmy

Bossworld

Hi Jimmy,

Depends on a couple of things but mainly the wheels that you're running.

If you've got 'stock' Toyota wheels, then depending on whether your car is pre or 'post' facelift, you'll either be in 15" wheels all round, or 15" front and 16" rear.

Either way, for the fronts, swapping to size 195/50/15 is a popular way to save some pennies. A quick glance on ATS shows options between £60 and £95 per tyre for that size, depending on how premium you want to go.

The rears - if you reply and let people know the age of the car, someone with a more recent purchase than me will hopefully offer some advice.

Thoughts will vary on the best brands to go for, which is fundamentally personal preference. In an ideal world you'd match brand and model across all four, but that's easier said than done these days. Just make sure each axle matches.

Jimmy2

Quote from: Bossworld on April  5, 2023, 19:28Hi Jimmy,

Depends on a couple of things but mainly the wheels that you're running.

If you've got 'stock' Toyota wheels, then depending on whether your car is pre or 'post' facelift, you'll either be in 15" wheels all round, or 15" front and 16" rear.

Either way, for the fronts, swapping to size 195/50/15 is a popular way to save some pennies. A quick glance on ATS shows options between £60 and £95 per tyre for that size, depending on how premium you want to go.
 8)
The rears - if you reply and let people know the age of the car, someone with a more recent purchase than me will hopefully offer some advice.

Thoughts will vary on the best brands to go for, which is fundamentally personal preference. In an ideal world you'd match brand and model across all four, but that's easier said than done these days. Just make sure each axle matches.

Ardent

Hi Jimmy2

How much do you want to pay?
As well as post above.

Are these for daily/weekend b road bomber/track use?

SuperArt

I'm in this position myself. Looking to run 195/45R16 front and 205/45R16 rear (I've got TTE grand prix wheels).

Looks like the cheapest option for me with a company I've heard of is Nangkang NS-20 at £70 ish per corner.

I might pay additional £15 per corner more just to get Toyo Proxes T1R soft sidewalls be damned.

If you want to use proper performance rubber you'll easily go above £100 a corner.
Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

Zxrob

Quote from: SuperArt on April  6, 2023, 12:59I'm in this position myself. Looking to run 195/45R16 front and 205/45R16 rear (I've got TTE grand prix wheels).

Looks like the cheapest option for me with a company I've heard of is Nangkang NS-20 at £70 ish per corner.

I might pay additional £15 per corner more just to get Toyo Proxes T1R soft sidewalls be damned.

If you want to use proper performance rubber you'll easily go above £100 a corner.

I take it you mean TR1

I have them on mine and no complaints

Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

Petrus

If you can find them in the size you need imo the Yokohama AD08RS is still the best for spirited all round use. They are very good in wet. When it gets near zero they have reached their limits. They are not winter tyres. They remain predictable though.

As the rubber is the contact with the road; the begin and end all of what the limits are, for me the price is a bit lower on the list. That is not promairily about corner speed, no: Better rubber maintaining better road contact gives a shorter stopping distance. Kinda nice  ;)
For a commuter car it is basically the same but the sheer amount of kms can shift the cost per mile balance as can winter use.

Bottom line is that there is no bést tyre for all use, circumstances. There is always a compromise sómewhere.
Just be aware of which compromise you choose to make.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: SuperArt on April  6, 2023, 12:59I'm in this position myself. Looking to run 195/45R16 front and 205/45R16 rear (I've got TTE grand prix wheels).

Cheap tyres on posh wheels... :o   

Petrus is probably correct re ADO8 being best for grip.  Should that rear wheel not be getting a 215/45 ?
Falken ZE310 & Hankook K125 are cheaper than Yok's, & most likely better than the Toyo, the TR1 having a stiffer sidewall than it's predecessor.
Falken fronts can be had for £137 a pair on ebay just now.  Might be cheaper when a 20% offer's on. 

Petrus

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on April  6, 2023, 18:12Cheap tyres on posh wheels... :o   

Petrus is probably correct re ADO8 being best for grip.  Should that rear wheel not be getting a 215/45 ?
Falken ZE310 & Hankook K125 are cheaper than Yok's, & most likely better than the Toyo, the TR1 having a stiffer sidewall than it's predecessor.
Falken fronts can be had for £137 a pair on ebay just now.  Might be cheaper when a 20% offer's on. 

I think I paid (well the gf did) 210€ for a set of AD08 rears incl. fitting/balancing. Make it 420 vs 220 for Falkens set of four, so 200 quid for stopping well short of cyclist/truck or over/under.

SuperArt

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on April  6, 2023, 18:12Cheap tyres on posh wheels... :o   

I don't know how much difference there really is between the really budget tyres and the Toyo Proxes I currently have on.
I might just go for another set of TR1 as I know what I'm getting but I really don't know what to expect with the NS-20. I'll check out the Falken ZE310 & Hankook K125 as well thanks.

I thought 215/45 too but the official TTE brochure shows 205/45R16 *shrug*.

I'm on 205 front and 225 rear at the moment and feel overtyred.
Best regards,
Arthur
Essex - "Always happy to meet up for a weekend drive"
Making demented squirrel noises since 2014
TTE "Turbo Dodo" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=797148
TTE Turbo "Friday" - https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73711.0

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: SuperArt on April  6, 2023, 21:51I don't know how much difference there really is between the really budget tyres and the Toyo Proxes I currently have on.
I might just go for another set of TR1 as I know what I'm getting but I really don't know what to expect with the NS-20. I'll check out the Falken ZE310 & Hankook K125 as well thanks.

I thought 215/45 too but the official TTE brochure shows 205/45R16 *shrug*.

I'm on 205 front and 225 rear at the moment and feel overtyred.

I should have said....the info re Falken & Hankook is from Tyre tests. Hankook usually rated better.  Most opinion on here is that 195 front is as far as you should go. The o/e rear wheel is 7j.  Falken has been liked by numerous on here.

If you're prepared to spend more, the new Hankook K135 (Prime 4) is reportedly better. And better still is the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 2.  Only available 16" & up I believe.

Ardent

Might not be helpful as pfl.
But I've just gone yoko fleva all round. As close to oem as You can get. (I think)

Not put them on sabine yet so no feedback to offer.
But I can say they work great on my daily, hence confidence to put on sabine.

See
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?msg=889697

Craigjm

I got a set of Michelin pilot sort 3 for £450

puma2

Quote from: Craigjm on April  6, 2023, 23:31I got a set of Michelin pilot sort 3 for £450

what size all around do you have fitted at that price :o  :o

MrChris

Quote from: puma2 on April  7, 2023, 07:33
Quote from: Craigjm on April  6, 2023, 23:313 for £450

what size all around do you have fitted at that price :o  :o

I think he's missing one... I'll see myself out.

Iain

Quote from: Craigjm on April  6, 2023, 23:31I got a set of Michelin pilot sort 3 for £450

Superb tyre. You get what you pay for, simples.

puma2

Quote from: Iain on April  7, 2023, 11:58Superb tyre. You get what you pay for, simples.

do they do them in std f/l size mind :)

the reviews are good on them 8)  8)

Craigjm

Quote from: MrChris on April  7, 2023, 08:02what size all around do you have fitted at that price :o  :o

I think he's missing one... I'll see myself out.

Haha yeah autocorrect fail there haha. All four were £450. Standard size 16s on the rear and 10mm wider over standard 15s on the front to make the Michelins available.

MrChris

Resurrecting this thread rather than create a new one.

I'm about to do all 4 tyres on my 2005 FL. Usage is fast B road blasting and the odd track day - but keeping an eye on the cost too because I am supposed to be saving money currently :))

Currently on (I assume stock/factory sizes):
Fronts: 185, 55, R15
Rear: 215, 45, R16

I've found Toyo Proxes TR1s at a good price, but in order to get them on the rear I need to go down to 205 45 R16 on the back. Is this okay? Am I going to die in a fireball? I've found Nankang NS-20s for the same price in the correct size, should I just go for these instead?

Also, for the price point, is it worth spending a little extra to go for something different?

Thoughts, as ever, are appreciated.

Gaz mr-s

Nankang are not rated in tests. There's only one advocate of them on here I know of.
If you'll use the car in Winter you're asking an awful lot from one tyre.  Just Summer use, get a semi-slick with firm sidewalls. Not going to be cheap though, I'd have thought..?

MrChris

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on May 28, 2023, 16:50Nankang are not rated in tests. There's only one advocate of them on here I know of.
If you'll use the car in Winter you're asking an awful lot from one tyre.  Just Summer use, get a semi-slick with firm sidewalls. Not going to be cheap though, I'd have thought..?

Is it worth going for a semi slick e.g. yoko on the back with the cheaper Toyo on front or is that asking for trouble?

Gaz mr-s

Going for different tyres front & rear is a gamble. 

MrChris

Yeah it's why I'm keen to go for the Toyos but I can only find the rears in 205. I'm finding conflicting info online about going from 215 to 205.

Iain

Quote from: MrChris on May 28, 2023, 17:14Is it worth going for a semi slick e.g. yoko on the back with the cheaper Toyo on front or is that asking for trouble?

Please dont do that, car will handle very odd.

Toyos will be fine, nankangs will be ok too. Tyres in the middle price range will always have good and bad points so theres probably not much between them.

There wouldnt really be much wrong going with a 205 rear but personally id just want the oem sizes if possible.

Wasnt there a 225/45/16 TR1? Get that if possible instead of 205. Fat tyre looks cool aswell 😃

MrChris

Quote from: Iain on May 28, 2023, 17:28Please dont do that, car will handle very odd.

Toyos will be fine, nankangs will be ok too. Tyres in the middle price range will always have good and bad points so theres probably not much between them.

There wouldnt really be much wrong going with a 205 rear but personally id just want the oem sizes if possible.

Wasnt there a 225/45/16 TR1? Get that if possible instead of 205. Fat tyre looks cool aswell 😃

Tyre choices going up to 225 are even more limited. But begs the question, it's better to go fatter than thinner?

I came across a post from a few years back where someone on here went to 205, but haven't found much else.

I really want to keep my costs down tbh and would prefer the same tyre all round. Semi slicks seem to start at £150 each which is frustrating.

As @Gaz mr-s says, the nankangs don't seem to review well.

What's worse/better: a slightly thinner tyre or different tyres front to back?

Tags: