Wheel widths

Started by Craigjm, June 21, 2023, 23:53

Craigjm

What are the wheel widths on the facelift? Are they 6 front and 6.5 rears? What would be the consequences or keeping everything the same as standard but moving to 7 inch all round? The front tyres are 185 and the rears are 215 so I'm not seeing a huge issue everything else being the same as OEM. What am I missing?

Dev

It can matter. For instance a 185 tire will fit a 7 inch wheel but its a bit of a stretch and it may not be optimized for it so its best to go with a recommended tire size range for wheel sizes you intend to purchase.
The other important factor is wheel offset as that will change the scrub radius and consequently the feel of the car.

Iain

Quote from: Craigjm on June 21, 2023, 23:53What are the wheel widths on the facelift? Are they 6 front and 6.5 rears? What would be the consequences or keeping everything the same as standard but moving to 7 inch all round? The front tyres are 185 and the rears are 215 so I'm not seeing a huge issue everything else being the same as OEM. What am I missing?

Facelift are 15x6 front and 16x7 rear. 185s would be a bit of a stretch on 7s, id go up to a 195, will fit better and help with tyre options aswell. As long as you keep some stagger on the car it will be fine. What wheels are you looking at getting?

Craigjm

Quote from: Dev on June 22, 2023, 00:23It can matter. For instance a 185 tire will fit a 7 inch wheel but its a bit of a stretch and it may not be optimized for it so its best to go with a recommended tire size range for wheel sizes you intend to purchase.
The other important factor is wheel offset as that will change the scrub radius and consequently the feel of the car.

Yeah so might need to change the front tyres from the current 185 to 195. Wonder if that would cause any rubbing issues. Offsets and PDC can be set as they are on the standard wheels so that shouldn't be a problem I guess

Craigjm

Quote from: Iain on June 22, 2023, 06:43Facelift are 15x6 front and 16x7 rear. 185s would be a bit of a stretch on 7s, id go up to a 195, will fit better and help with tyre options aswell. As long as you keep some stagger on the car it will be fine. What wheels are you looking at getting?

185 is already 10mm over standard so I can run Michelin pilot sport 3 all round because the 175 15 was really limiting choice of anything premium

I am thinking about a set of Japan Racing JR29

list delete duplicates

Dev

Quote from: Craigjm on June 22, 2023, 20:22Yeah so might need to change the front tyres from the current 185 to 195. Wonder if that would cause any rubbing issues. Offsets and PDC can be set as they are on the standard wheels so that shouldn't be a problem I guess
I would stay closer to stock offsets if possible. The max offset I would go is 35 before you have detrimental changes to the handling and before the wheel has a potential to rub however the wheels will look better the closer they are to the fender. As long as you are not lowered too much and you are not going with large wheels without low profile tires you should be ok.

Craigjm

Quote from: Dev on June 22, 2023, 20:40I would stay closer to stock offsets if possible. The max offset I would go is 35 before you have detrimental changes to the handling and before the wheel has a potential to rub however the wheels will look better the closer they are to the fender. As long as you are not lowered too much and you are not going with large wheels without low profile tires you should be ok.

I was gonna stick with stock size and offset all round so direct swap. The only difference being that the narrowest they are available in is a 7

Alex Knight

7J +35 is a lovely fitment on the W30 chassis IMHO.

Gaz mr-s

According to JR's website ET35 is the closest they make them to o/e.   I'll add as well that IMO, a 185 tyre  doesn't look good on a 7" rim.

There is very little made in under 7" for the 2.

Craigjm

Going to a 35 offset from a 45 on the standard wheels will put them 10mm nearer the arch then. Would the be ok with the 195 tyres on the front? Would certainly give it a nice stance as it's pretty much like adding 10mm spacers to the OEM wheels

Dev

I have 7 inch wide wheels, 37 offset with 205 width tires. The wheel still sits inside the fender with room to spare.

Craigjm

Cheers Dev I'll probably go for a set then

Tags: