Prius XW20 aluminum front caliper upgrade for ZZW30

Started by JB21, July 12, 2023, 08:19

JB21

Thought I'd start a new thread so folk can find the info easier. Thread @Petrus started with the detailed info below.

https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=74205.0

So fitted the refurbished Prius XW20 calipers last night with new discs and Dixcel race pads.

I only got around to bedding in the new discs and pads, so not full blown stamping on them but already you can feel its an upgrade over the MR2 set up. No substantial difference in pedal feel, maybe a tad firmer and only approx 5mm of extra travel. I only really got up to 80% braking force and the do bite hard! I could easily get the ABS to trigger which is exactly what I was hoping for because with the MR2 set-up it was a struggle to fire the ABS on sticky tyres.

Anyway the acid test will be my next track day at Anglesey In August.

More to follow...

Petrus

Glad you like the set. Happy to have been of help.

You will like the change even more on track.
The 10% larger force up front will allow you to use the racing pads better.
Also 1.2 kg (or so) per wheel is quite a lot. Not changing the car of course but it does all count.

With ´stock´ pads the difference passes unnoticed for most even though the weight loss is of greater effect on the real world road surfaces.

I kept all the same but for the calipers so the comparison is pure before & after.
I am véry happy with this dirt cheap and cheerfully simple brake upgrade!

Nvy

Do I need to look for specific calipers or all xw20 are with the same ones?

All I could find locally is 1.5 hybrid.

Petrus

Quote from: Nvy on July 12, 2023, 10:52Do I need to look for specific calipers or all xw20 are with the same ones?

That´s the one.

Alex Knight

Part numbers in this thread would be useful.

Petrus

Not that there are any other ones  ::)   but here we go:

Front right and left calipers on 2004-2009 Prius. Part numbers 4775047050 and 4773047050 or 4775047020 , 4773047020

JB21

Part numbers:

Drivers (right) Toyota OE - 4773047050 or 4773047020

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/kamoka/19171257

Passengers (left) Toyota OE - 4775047020 or 4775047050

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/kamoka/19171256

Petrus

At the breakers just ask for Prius 2 (or 20).

Over here they are as a set half price of óne for a ZZW30.

Bottom line: Have even móre fun  8)

p.s.  They also fit the AE chassis p.e. AE86. This  is where the mod. crossed over to the ZZW30 from.

Dev

This is great news for this platform no matter what kind of driving you do. Anything to decrease the unsprung weight for better front damping control to give you an increase in comfort. 
The best part is there is much higher availability of this caliper so you can get almost like new ones then having to depend on refurbished parts that have questionable quality because they have to machined.

It would be nice if there was a rear option from another Toyota vehicle. I think with a modification to the parking brake lever it could work.

Alex Knight

Quote from: Petrus on July 12, 2023, 12:44Not that there are any other ones  ::)   but here we go:

Front right and left calipers on 2004-2009 Prius. Part numbers 4775047050 and 4773047050 or 4775047020 , 4773047020

There are plenty of other aftermarket part numbers, actually. Not everyone uses OEM.

Petrus

Quote from: Alex Knight on July 12, 2023, 16:33There are plenty of other aftermarket part numbers, actually. Not everyone uses OEM.

Thank you.

Ardent

Quote from: Nvy on July 12, 2023, 10:52Do I need to look for specific calipers or all xw20 are with the same ones?

Those. The gen2 prius, all 1.5

Petrus

Quote from: Ardent on July 13, 2023, 17:01Those. The gen2 prius, all 1.5

... and all hybrid, which is for mé a  8)  extra. Completely subjective of course; much like the perceived added value of a brand for some. With the difference that it is an entirely personal pleasure as nobody can see it, which Í think extra fun. And that all for peanuts  ;)
A bit like adding lightness; a gift that keeps on giving.
Oh wait, it ís adding lightness.
Ahhh, la vida es bella  :))

Ardent

Dipped into the calipers for the ct200h which will no doubt match those on the prius gen 3 1.8 the pistons are slightly larger again.

Petrus

Quote from: Ardent on July 13, 2023, 22:39the pistons are slightly bigger again.

As I calculated elsewhere, the effect of slightly larger front pistons is waywáy less that the increase in piston surface.

There ís another (obvious) aspect to the aluminium Prius2 calipers btw and I was crossing my fingers about it for the RPF1s but even with those the clearance works out so all systems go!
As such next on my agenda (for the brakes) is the rear.

shnazzle

Thought this was quite funny to find when testing out the newly indexed search:

https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=25076.msg310567#msg310567

2009!

Edit: hopefully nobody is surprised the links in there are dead :)
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on July 14, 2023, 08:45Thought this was quite funny to find when testing out the newly indexed search:

https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=25076.msg310567#msg310567

2009!

Brilliant find!
Véry funny indeed!!
Next is 2023 when a forrinnah actually tríes it prompted by a bloke from Russia  :))

Thanks for sharing that @shnazzle .

JB21

So Anglesey done and I can now reflect. Brilliant upgrade over the cast iron OE calipers. Not a hint of fade all day and a really consistent pedal, plus they really do bite harder. I've used some serious pads in the past e.g XP10, XP12 RP2 etc and found them all lacking due to the OE calipers overheating, the prius ones no such issues.

Petrus

Thanks for the feedback.

Totally logical/predictable as aluminium dissipated heat better and the Prius is heavier car.

It was my experience too here barelling down the mountains with tarmac temps of 60+ centigrades.
Still best have it confirmed from the track too.

Iain

So these fit onto the MR2 carriers and use MR2 pads? No other mods needed?

Petrus

Quote from: Iain on September 13, 2023, 18:33So these fit onto the MR2 carriers and use MR2 pads? No other mods needed?

Yes and yes.
No.

Have them for over 2 months now and al thumbs up.

Iain

Thanks.

Seems a very worthwhile change especially for track use. And pretty cheap for what you're getting.

Petrus

Quote from: Iain on September 13, 2023, 20:54Thanks.

Seems a very worthwhile change especially for track use. And pretty cheap for what you're getting.

Better brakes save lives. More applicable on the public road tha on the track.

Ardent

I'm still looking on the bay of E but nothing really coming up. Mildly surprised and slightly disappointed.

__CA__

Just joined (first post!) to say thanks for posting this, I have just ordered from autodoc.  I love this kind of parts bin upgrade!

I bought a 1MZ-FE swapped MR2 (by Woodsport) earlier in the year, the front brakes are a slightly sticky and it pulls to the left, so this seems like a better option than refurbing the old ones.

Tags: