Turbo 1zz Build Help!

Started by T4YLR, July 31, 2023, 19:01

T4YLR

Hey guys! im looking to soon purchase a mr2 which im excited for and knowing me already looking at what route im going to take (turbo build) I owned a celica t sport (2zz) for quite some time and feel like its a been there done that for looking at swapping a 2zz in the mr2 so the turbo route it is! ive been watching plenty yt videos @mr2roadsterturbo815 and spyder lee's videos just to grasp an idea of the build im just wanting a bit of advise turbo/manifold wise on whats best choice

Do i go GT2871/GT2860 T25 turbo or a TD04 T15 turbo? the build wont be pushing past 250hp as the engine will be staying stock other than injectors etc so the quicker the spool the better.

And on the above which manifold is best to go for ive only found the malian T25 one so far but unsure on what route to take on the above

Anyone running the T25 system above? whens boost kicking in? how is it top end for boost?

jvanzyl

You've got 5 options for manifolds.
- zero exhausts will build you a custom £££
- turbokits can get you a cast T25 £400ish?
- your already mentioned Malian
- a tig welded one from Denmark £110
- another cast manifold from eBay£2-300

Not many people seem to stick around after posting figures of north of 250bhp as their engines are normally toast from what I can tell.

Engine management- go to RRR

Realistically I think (& happy to be corrected) aiming at 200whp is your upper limit for longevity, and that would/should use a charge cooler setup.

200whp should be achievable with a GTX2554R.

T4YLR

Quote from: jvanzyl on July 31, 2023, 22:22You've got 5 options for manifolds.
- zero exhausts will build you a custom £££
- turbokits can get you a cast T25 £400ish?
- your already mentioned Malian
- a tig welded one from Denmark £110
- another cast manifold from eBay£2-300

Not many people seem to stick around after posting figures of north of 250bhp as their engines are normally toast from what I can tell.

Engine management- go to RRR

Realistically I think (& happy to be corrected) aiming at 200whp is your upper limit for longevity, and that would/should use a charge cooler setup.

200whp should be achievable with a GTX2554R.

Thanks for the reply, I think im going to go 2554R route as seems the best turbo for the build! this car will be a project car so not daily driven but more of a B road/track car but also want reliability on my side too, do you know how well 1zz take to boost? again I wont be going over 200whp and making sure the car is built by myself with good name brand parts

Ardent

Might not be the numbers you desire, but with a eye to reliability. The tte turbo setup is a fit n forget option.
Something that resembles that setup should be a good starting point.

jvanzyl

Quote from: T4YLR on August  5, 2023, 22:35Thanks for the reply, I think im going to go 2554R route as seems the best turbo for the build! this car will be a project car so not daily driven but more of a B road/track car but also want reliability on my side too, do you know how well 1zz take to boost? again I wont be going over 200whp and making sure the car is built by myself with good name brand parts

There's a reason why Toyota opted for the 190bhp. As you go north of there you increase the risk of engine failure. Bear in mind 190bhp is a long way from 250bhp (roughly 200whp).
I believe the point of failure is the rods-  they're skinny.

T4YLR

Quote from: jvanzyl on August  6, 2023, 00:39There's a reason why Toyota opted for the 190bhp. As you go north of there you increase the risk of engine failure. Bear in mind 190bhp is a long way from 250bhp (roughly 200whp).
I believe the point of failure is the rods-  they're skinny.

I'm planning to run a low/high boost setting with 5-6psi low boost and 8psi high boost, thought I have saw a couple turbo builds pushing 260-280bhp~ with stock internals like spyderlee's im not looking to go that far power wise but I guess its just how much you abuse the 1zz  :o  I just know ill be trying to run high boost with the car as much as I can since of how fun itll be  ;D

jvanzyl

I think the safest route to power is likely the Rotrex. You can buy a kit from Trust, for about 4-4.5k delivered.

Tags: