Turbo layout design for comments

Started by jvanzyl, August 11, 2023, 14:15

jvanzyl

Hi all- just reposting this here for better visibility.

Would appreciate peoples comments on whether this is feasible or if there are better ways of doing things.

Charge cooler is currently above the manifold.

easy images

MannyUK

I have the charge cooler on the left side of the engine close to the throttle, I have heat issues with the hot pipe from the turbo to the intercooler getting hot, Ive build some shielding.  I think the route I will take in version2 is into the exhaust area with an charge cooler further towards the rear of the car, shield off the exhaust from the CC/IC and shield off the CC/IC from the engine bay.
Buttery biscuit base

Carolyn

Having the cold air sitting over the heat is not ideal.  Can it be routed underneath the exhaust output?

It will be a slightly more tortuous rout, but it would rally cut down on heat soak into the intake.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Joesson

!

jvanzyl

Right... I will see what I can come up with.. ordered all the parts for this design yesterday, so I'm guessing there will be some waste, but never mind! Rather it works!
Thanks for the feedback @MannyUK & @Carolyn

MannyUK

@jvanzyl
Which charge cooler are you using out of interest?
Buttery biscuit base

jvanzyl

Carolyn

Make sure you include a small expansion bottle connected to a the fill point (which should  be the highest part of the cooling loop).

jvanzyl

Quote from: Carolyn on August 16, 2023, 15:32Make sure you include a small expansion bottle connected to a the fill point (which should  be the highest part of the cooling loop).

Thank you- yes I've got one.
Ive gone from thinking there's lots of space to... no where I'm gonna got this one??

MannyUK

That setup looks very similar to mine, I use a PWR barrel IC.  My current problem is high inlet temps, basically the Barrel IC is not up to the job at all.  I have it setup with a large water pump on its own closed loop with a large radiator at the front of the car & an expansion tank.

Heat soak is also a problem.  I will post a picture of my fabricated heat shield.  I decided to shield the pipe instead of trying to shield off the exhaust as it was easier, don't laugh at the pic too much!  I have also using this solution to shield off the pre-turbo inlet but that is not shown on the picture. 
This solution works quite well, the gold tape alone actually lowered intake temps about 7degress on average and I have not had chance to measure the inlet temps with the shield installed but I can now hold the pipe after a hard drive where I have couldn't before.

I have not been able to measure the delta of the temperature drop through the IC yet either but I don't think it is enough.

Buttery biscuit base

jvanzyl

Quote from: MannyUK on August 17, 2023, 10:25That setup looks very similar to mine, I use a PWR barrel IC.  My current problem is high inlet temps, basically the Barrel IC is not up to the job at all.  I have it setup with a large water pump on its own closed loop with a large radiator at the front of the car & an expansion tank.

Heat soak is also a problem.  I will post a picture of my fabricated heat shield.  I decided to shield the pipe instead of trying to shield off the exhaust as it was easier, don't laugh at the pic too much!  I have also using this solution to shield off the pre-turbo inlet but that is not shown on the picture. 
This solution works quite well, the gold tape alone actually lowered intake temps about 7degress on average and I have not had chance to measure the inlet temps with the shield installed but I can now hold the pipe after a hard drive where I have couldn't before.

I have not been able to measure the delta of the temperature drop through the IC yet either but I don't think it is enough.

I like your layout and neatness! But you're saying that the inlet (pre turbo), the exhaust and the chargecooler piping need to be shielded and wrapped (gold tape/ heat wrap for exhaust) in order for the barrel cooler to work sufficiently?

May I ask what the extra little pipes coming out of your exhaust manifold are? the little silver things?

MannyUK

I gold wrapped and shielded the pipe to the intercooler from turbo to keep the air temp as low as possible so the intercooler doesn't have to work as hard. In reality the intercooler doesn't cool the air enough anyway.

I installed EGT sensors (Exhaust Gas Tempreture) to keep an eye on it and have the Ecu control things.

I basically wanted to make my build as reliable as possible and I'm hoping this will help, except that I have probably lowered the integrity of that cast iron exhaust header!

Buttery biscuit base

jvanzyl

So I've been playing around with ideas/layouts.

Question- is the BOV better placed before or after the charge cooler?

I had initially thought to place it like this:

But then I thought that the air reading of the MAF would be affected by it.
So is it possibly better to place the BOV before the charge cooler like this?

Thanks very much in advance.

Carolyn

I would place it as close to the turbo as possible.

jvanzyl

Quote from: Carolyn on September  4, 2023, 17:02I would place it as close to the turbo as possible.

Excellent - thank you. It shall be but mere inches!

Tags: