TTE turbo pre cat alternative?

Started by Bugster_MR2, October 6, 2023, 08:13

Bugster_MR2

Good morning

Here you'll see a pic of my TTE turbo with the rear silencer/back box removed. Notice the pre cat going from the turbo to the flex joint/cat-pipe.

I am considering getting a Zero race cat to replace the stock main cat.

The big question is how big of a bottle neck the pre cat is?

Does anyone know of someone who makes a catless replacement for the pre cat? Haven't seen anyone write about such a thing on this forum earlier. 

Bugster
2001 red with KW3, TRD rear brace, Zero race cat and MAF-mod.
2003 silver TTE Turbo, underbrace, sidescoops, style bar, front bumper, rear spoiler, interior garnish, exhaust

thetyrant

How strict are the emissons tests in Norway ?   in the Uk there is no issue removing the precat as long as main cat is in good shape, on my SP turbo kit (which is based on TTE kit) the exhaust was much more free flowing and didnt use the stock cat pipe/rear silencer etc, just a larger bore sports cat and sports silencer and while never mot/emissons tested in my ownership but must of been ok, at least when new in UK.

The TTE using stock exhaust i would say holds it back if you wanted more power, main upgrade on the SP versions of the kit is the exhaust from what ive seen to a much free flowing design.
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Bugster_MR2

Thanks for your reply.

Emissions are just as strict as Germany, I guess. We are not a part of EU but still we have adopted most of its regulations.

But: My other stock MR2 passes the emissions test with precat delete and a zero racecat. I am kinda hoping the TTE will too.

So is there only an elbow without cat on your SP, @thetyrant ? Got a picture?
Bugster
2003 silver TTE Turbo, underbrace, sidescoops, style bar, front bumper, rear spoiler, interior garnish, exhaust

Ardent

Quote from: thetyrant on October  6, 2023, 09:27The TTE using stock exhaust i would say holds it back if you wanted more power, main upgrade on the SP versions of the kit is the exhaust from what ive seen to a much free flowing design.
The oem cat is heavily choked down at the flexi end. Very restrictive.
I know I've taken pics to illustrate, just can't recall if in here.

Ardent

Quote from: Bugster_MR2 on October  6, 2023, 08:13Good morning

Here you'll see a pic of my TTE turbo with the rear silencer/back box removed. Notice the pre cat going from the turbo to the flex joint/cat-pipe.

I am considering getting a Zero race cat to replace the stock main cat.

The big question is how big of a bottle neck the pre cat is?

Does anyone know of someone who makes a catless replacement for the pre cat? Haven't seen anyone write about such a thing on this forum earlier. 

Have to say, not an area I've considered.
My gut feeling says marginal, if any gain. For me, it's not worth the risk of upsetting the setup.
Having experienced the opposite, having a free-flowing cat pipe and replacing it with the oem cat, the difference is night and day on the flow.

Bugster_MR2

Thanks, Ardent. I've emailed Zero about it now.  ;D  8)
Bugster

thetyrant

Quote from: Bugster_MR2 on October  6, 2023, 10:26So is there only an elbow without cat on your SP, @thetyrant ? Got a picture?

Yes from memory it was a 2.5" straight through elbow into a sports cat then a sports silencer, I stupidly sold the kit when my engine needed a rebuild but should have some pictures somewhere will have a look.

thetyrant

Here is a pic i found which shows the SP kit elbow mounted to turbo on my car :)  i so wish i had kept this kit and refitted after i rebuilt the engine, was performing so well and just starting to get the tune where i wanted it and ready to fit a chargecooler etc then take to next level, but engine was smoking a lot so in my haste sold everything!

Ardent

Having a garage clear out and came across my SP mid pipe.

Will be putting up for sale in due course.

For clarity.
As I don't always use the correct term. I'm referring to the lower decat pipe, not the elbow shown.

Bugster_MR2

Very cool. Hard to compare our pictures. Is the manifold even the same? At least the elbow takes a different route.
Bugster

Ardent

Mine looks the same as the one in your opening post. I would not the same manifold. You can just make out the raised areas the tte top Heat sheild sits on.

thetyrant

Quote from: Bugster_MR2 on October  9, 2023, 16:01Very cool. Hard to compare our pictures. Is the manifold even the same? At least the elbow takes a different route.

Ah yes i think the manifold is different i forgot about that, it was just to show the elbow really though without the pre-cat :)

Tags: