Rear Pad Wear

Started by M.Dub, March 18, 2024, 19:42

M.Dub

Hi all,

Just returned from a nice little track day at 3 sisters and noticed my rear brake pads have worn twice as much as the fronts.

Has anybody else noticed this? I would have thought the fronts take most abuse.

I'm running PBS pro track pads

Cheers

AdamR28

Found this on my car also. Rear of the car is heavier, of course, and solid rather than vented discs - so I reckon they run a touch hotter. This must just be enough to push the rears past their "comfort zone", depending on what pads you have.

M.Dub

Yea maybe, wouldn't have thought there would be such a difference tho especially on these pads. With all the weight shifting forward under breaking I thought the fronts would take a hammering.

McMr2

There was a thread about this a couple of years ago. I also expected fronts would take the brunt of the wear but from memory others had reasons for the rears wearing more quickly.

Search should find it!
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

Iain

Some found fronts wear more quickly some found it was the rears, quite odd really.

JB21

My fronts wear twice as quick as the rears. I suppose if you had OE spec in the rear then obviously these would wear much quicker than if the fronts were track pads. My wear has always been track pads front and rear.

Maybe check if the rear wheels are dragging slightly, this is easily done when adjusting the handbrake.

M.Dub

Thanks, I'll have a search see if I can find the old thread on the subject. Will also check the rears arnt dragging but doubt it's that tbh.

I wonder how a car with rear wear compares to one with front wear on track, you think one brakes better than the other?

Tags: