Don't fancygutting your precats? Try this?

Started by markiii, March 10, 2006, 07:50

markiii

m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtop ... highlight= m

Thats the cheapest replacement manifold your ever likely tosee.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

jonytom

I've emailed Che about shipping costs to the UK - will let you guys know.

Markiii - any issues as far as you can see from the pics?
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

Slacey

I've had a look and I can't see any problems. Nice nit of work IMO - Che's products are 100% spot on so far.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tem

Quote from: "jonytom"any issues as far as you can see from the pics?

I'd wait till the first people get them installed and report back...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

jonytom

Quote from: "Tem"I'd wait till the first people get them installed and report back...

For a difference of $25 - price for the first ten compared to subsequent group buyers - I reckon that would be a smart move. Thanks Tem.
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

rmowbray

I don't really see the point of this as an alternative to de-catting. All the hard work in doing a de-cat is in removing the manifold from the car and re-installing it. Actually removing the cat material from the manifold is the easiest part, and by far the most satisfying    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Picture Norman Bates style stabbing motions through the O2 sensor sockets with a long screwdriver :-

"You", stab, "destroyed", stab, "my", stab, "engine", stab, "you", stab, "b**tard!"   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

It was so good I needed a cigarette afterwards, and I don't even smoke.   s:D :D s:D  

Personally I'd rather keep the approx $300 (inc shipping) and spend it on something else.

Anonymous

It looks to be a copy of the TRD header... and a well-made one, as best as I can tell from the pictures.  The price is excellent.  It would be nice to know the noise level compared to stock, gutted precats, and TRD header.  The TRD header has a smooth inner layer and I don't know if this one does or not.  That could be a factor in noise level and exhaust gas velocity.  I say it is worth a try at that price.  I sure am glad I sold my TRD header already.   s:) :) s:)

jonytom

OK, had a reply from Che and the total cost to the UK is $275.00. Import duty would of course go on top if this.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "jonytom"OK, had a reply from Che and the total cost to the UK is $275.00. Import duty would of course go on top if this.
I'm sure he would mark up as a gift if you ask nicely  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

loadswine

That's not bad value at £160 or thereabouts. Be interested to see the real world benefits over a gutted precat manifold.
Already accept that it looks a whole lot neater.
Some guys on spyderchat think that  pipe no.1 is longer , but Che says they are equal length. What does anyone else think? Does it matter that much? or is the photo of the header a bit misleading?
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

I dont think that the photo helps.
From what I've heard about Che and read on here after doing a search, the products are generally top notch, and I havent read of many with problems. It's not going to be TRD good, but is a good copy. He is offering a 12 month guarantee and a refund if any problems too, so looks like a good option to me. (Wish I had known about this before getting pre-cats gutted this week!)

Cheers

Roo.

Anonymous

I'm going for one as my manifold is not very nice after having to drill and tap all of the bolts. I will keep you posted when it turns up

Chris

that is mega cheap, as i'm guessing it's quite heavy, so i thought postage would be huge!!!
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Weights 7.5 lbs according to Che, which is 8.7lbs (nearly 4kg) lighter than the stock one.

I've ordered mine tonight...

Rich

Anonymous

Thats a good reduction in weight !

GSB

Quote from: "rmowbray"I don't really see the point of this as an alternative to de-catting. All the hard work in doing a de-cat is in removing the manifold from the car and re-installing it. Actually removing the cat material from the manifold is the easiest part, and by far the most satisfying    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Picture Norman Bates style stabbing motions through the O2 sensor sockets with a long screwdriver :-

"You", stab, "destroyed", stab, "my", stab, "engine", stab, "you", stab, "b**tard!"   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

It was so good I needed a cigarette afterwards, and I don't even smoke.   s:D :D s:D  

Personally I'd rather keep the approx $300 (inc shipping) and spend it on something else.

The benefit is that there are no sudden diameter changes, as there are in a gutted manifold. The Che manifold should flow better, which should in turn be better for power.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Hi all!

Just a quick idea as an alternative, I checked the price of this manifold and delivery and for just £25 more Hayward and Scott will build and fit one for you!

Worth considering if you can get to them!  Also cuts the risk of it arriving bent or summat since they don't offer insurance on the postage!

Two's Company

That sounds good value at H&S, so they said £185 for a custom manifold?

markiii

very good, it was nearer to £300 last time I asked

is that definately an agreed price?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Two's Company

How much of a power increase could be expected from the H&S compared to gutted pre cats due to the smoother air flow etc?

Anonymous

if youre looking to get a custom header made maybe get H&S to make it more like the brad bedell header ;-

http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=27995&highlight

the primaries are alll the same lengeth adn it just looks so sweet  s:) :) s:)

GB GB GB    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Not quite sure what primaries are.... but Che assures me all the pipes are the same length on the Che header also.

Anonymous

Quote from: "dodgie"Not quite sure what primaries are.... but Che assures me all the pipes are the same length on the Che header also.
I would like to see the Che header in the metal - from the photos it definitely looks as though the pipe which comes up from the left hand end, over the top of the other pipes, is significantly longer than the one it joins to.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "markiii"very good, it was nearer to £300 last time I asked

is that definately an agreed price?
They're prices seem to be coming done a lot lately; the exhausts are now £100 or more cheaper from when i got one on the last big GB  s8) 8) s8)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Just to make things clear I was quoted £223 for the CHE manifold including shipping and £250 from Hayward and Scott (supply and fit) They said they don't have a pattern for the manifold so they'd need the car!

Does anyone know of someone who actually has an aftermarket manifold fitted (with pics if poss.)?

Tags: