Don't fancygutting your precats? Try this?

Started by markiii, March 10, 2006, 07:50

GSB

Quote from: "MR-Spyder"Just to make things clear I was quoted £223 for the CHE manifold including shipping and £250 from Hayward and Scott (supply and fit) They said they don't have a pattern for the manifold so they'd need the car!

Does anyone know of someone who actually has an aftermarket manifold fitted (with pics if poss.)?

If they's prefer, I can drop off a stock manifold to them, and they can have a look around my car to get an idea of the amount of space available for them to play with. This is of course assuming that they intend to make a manifold along the lines of the TRD / Che unit. If they want to make something more exotic, then they'll need the car to make sure everything fits within the confines of the engine bay. I dont mind donating mine for a few days. I can loan them a stock silencer box as well, as thats about the biggest silencer unit available for the MR2, and will dictate the maximum size of the manifold if it's to be truly compatible with the car.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

MR-Spyder, Slurpy has a Che manifold fitted, I'm gettin gmine fitted on 2nd May so will have some pics then.

Rich

Anonymous

Hi dodgie are you fitting your mainifold your self or taking it somewhere?  Just interested how much messing around they are to fit!

Looking forward to the pictures...

GSB, I think the best thing is to email Hayward and Scott and see what they say but I would have thought if enough people are interested they'd make a batch up if someone can provide a pattern to work from... I'd be interested anyway!

Do you want to email them or shall I?

Jamie

Anonymous

I suspect the H&S was soo cheap as they want a development car hence the price and that once they have the pattern, they would charge a lot more for any further copies.

I saw the che manifolds on Ebay.com and it's a bit of a bargain really. I've got 1 years engine warranty with the 2 I just bought so not going to worry about gutting the precats yet but towards the end of the year, a che or H&S exhaust would be the way to go.

GSB

Quote from: "fastboy"I suspect the H&S was soo cheap as they want a development car hence the price and that once they have the pattern, they would charge a lot more for any further copies.

Doubt it. They used my car to develop the dual exhaust's that are so popular with ROC members. They had my car over a week to do the work, plus a couple of further visits for adjustments etc. I actually paid the same as the guys on the GB's.

Quote from: "MR-Spyder"GSB, I think the best thing is to email Hayward and Scott and see what they say but I would have thought if enough people are interested they'd make a batch up if someone can provide a pattern to work from... I'd be interested anyway!

Do you want to email them or shall I?

Jamie

Jamie, seeing as you have already entered into discussions with them on the subject, then you can e-mail them. Give them a brief run-down of the pre-cat problem, and detail the requirement for a manifold that would hook up to the stock exhaust system. Give them some clue as to the possibility of future sales through the Roadster Owners Club, and tell them that the guy who had the first exhaust made has a spare manifold they can borrow as a template, and a car that they can look over to see how much room they have to work with. attach a few photos of the manifolds above, i.e stock, Che, and the brad bedell manifolds.

You can CC me at the email detailed in the button below.
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

The "Brad Bedell" manifold was designed by Little Rocket.  Brad just made them.

GSB

Quote from: "Beanie"The "Brad Bedell" manifold was designed by Little Rocket.  Brad just made them.

Should have known really, LR is always coming up with stuff like that. Do you know if it was any good Beanie?

Anonymous

Just to let you know, I fitted the Che manifold last night and had no problems apart from a little manoevering with the heatshields.
Thoroughly recommend, the finish is exceptional.

Anonymous

I have entered into an email conversation with Hayward and Scott, I am awaiting their reply now.

Any chance of some pictures of the Che manifold in place?

Anonymous

s:) :) s:)   Sweet. I was just about to ring H&S and ask about this exact thing. I guess I will watch this space. I'd like a complete H&S exhaust (back box, cat and manifold).

Anonymous

Hi everyone,
Well unfortunately it seams Hayward and Scott made an error with their original quotation...

"To Jamie

I am not sure where the £250 came from, we have never done the manifold that cheap before, maybe there was a slip of the finger when being typed, hence the resent quote of £500.  Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Regards

Ian Reeve
Manager"

So it looks like they are gonna be far too expensive, they did offer a discount of £425 for a group buy from the club but obviously this is still way more expensive than other alternatives.

So lets get some posts of pictures and experience of other manifolds so we can decide a good alternative.

Anonymous

Got my Che manifold, excellent finish.
Gonna fit over the weekend, will try get some pics up.

Anonymous

Fitted, cats are fine. Had a few hassles such as top heatshield bolt breaking in the old manifold and getting the heatshield and O2 sensors back on again are a bit of a pain coz the manifold differs slightly from stock. Also make sure youve got both long & short 12 & 14 sockets with extensions and Id recommend buying the gasket set from Toyota because the supplied manifold to head gasket doesnt look like it would seal properly (totally diff to stock version).

Gasket part nos as follows: Manifold Gasket - T17173-22010 £14.05
Exhaust gasket (rings x2) - T90917-06065 £2.76 each

Definitely revs more freely through the entire range and has a nice deep throat sound when you put your foot down, although when driving miss daisy it sounds pretty much the same as stock.

Ive driven 60 miles with it on and im very happy especially considering it costs next to nothing compared to any other manifold.

Only let down at the moment is Im tending to put my foot down quite a bit just to hear that sweet sound!

P.S dont work in the dark at 10pm without a torch on a black car! Youll get away second best with loadsa cuts!! (I was determined to get the job done)

philster_d

Thanks for the feedback Twist

Anonymous

Alright twist,
Did you buy the manifold from ebay or did you deal with them direct?

How much did you pay (how much was postage?)

Anonymous

Dealt directly with Che via email.
£166 incl. postage, marked as a gift so didnt get nailed with customs charges.

Anonymous

Nice one mate!

Any chance of that email address?

Cheers

Anonymous

Just give him your nickname from here, told him you gonna be in contact soon. His email address is  e mailto:deluboz@aol.com">deluboz@aol.com e .

Anonymous

Cheers mate,

Just been reading another topic on the forum about the quality of this product, how are you finding yours?

Upon waying up the pros and cons of fitting this manifold or de gutting and refitting the standard one where does everyone stand?

Is anyone gonna take H&S up on their offer of manifolds at £500?

Jamie

Two's Company

Quote from: "MR-Spyder"Is anyone gonna take H&S up on their offer of manifolds at £500?

Nope, I would have considered it at the £250 that was mentioned but turned out to be a mistake!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Whether it is worth the money depends on your reasons for changing the manifold.  If it is for a performance increase a Unichip will give a much bigger improvement for the same amount of money.  If you just want to get rid of the pre cats, I would just gut them or if you don't fancy that get a Che manifold.  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Just had my Che manfold fitted by Silverstone Performance. I've only done 50 or so miles on it, but I can agree with Twist completely. Not a massive noise increase, but definitely noticeable when you floor it.

Plus, it just looks sexy!

Rich

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"very good, it was nearer to £300 last time I asked

is that definately an agreed price?

I thought only Americans misspelled "definitely".

Tags: