300bhp Apexi Turbo Kit !!!

Started by Anonymous, March 20, 2006, 12:01

Anonymous

Whats the score with this then ? Any good.

My friend had a Toyota Starlet 1.3 - and had an Apexi Turbo + FC fitted, and took his car over 250bhp.

I know there are parts missing in the kit, which could be manufactured ?

m http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/300HP-Ne ... QQtcZphoto m

Tem

It's a good kit.

You do know that it's just the hardware though, right? You need a new ecu or a piggyback and a tune. And the stock injectors won't get you to 300hp either.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

spit

Quote from: "Tem"It's a good kit.

You do know that it's just the hardware though, right? You need a new ecu or a piggyback and a tune. And the stock injectors won't get you to 300hp either.

.... and you need to add on for those missing bits (particularly manifold and intercooler).

Reminds me of about 12 months ago when the Apexi kit had gone very quiet and got re-promoted at a crazily low price in the USA (raised on a link on Sp'chat somewhere IIRC). Wonder if this is has come off the back of that deal?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Yeah I want to go Turbo, but just realistically 4k isnt an option for me at the moment for the TTET.

I've been looking at some cheaper alternatives   s8) 8) s8)

spit

I completely understand where you're coming from.

And as someone who perversely went turbo for the install challenge above the finished product (although I'm enjoying that immensely  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ), I have to say that the rewards of keeping a turbo'd '2 going when you know it so well are great.

But aside from the physical parts its easy to forget the financial implications of import duties (outside EU), add-ons, gauges, coating, bracing, dyno, mapping, downtime, reliability/repairs etc.

Suppose what I'm trying to say is,  good on you - stick to your guns, but keep a sense of realism at all times.

Good luck!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Thanks Spit.

Im always up for a challenge, but I know that this is going to take a fair bit of research and planning first.  I dont want to be in a position where I might of as well opted for the TTET route, if the costs etc will eventually even out.

I want to get to know the car more too, and the funkyshuns of the workings of the turbo  :-) :-) :-)

Sounds like a plan..............

Anonymous

*Mod*

Moved to Performance.

*/Mod*

Anonymous

didnt want to make another post, but this is related.

whats the cheapest turbo option?

as in a diy kit?

Tem

Quote from: "RoadRunner"whats the cheapest turbo option?

as in a diy kit?

I know DIY and I know a kit, but what's a DIY kit?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Cheapest option is buying a used turbo from a common turbocar, for example Saab and Volvo turbos are next to nothing over here. Water pipe shops have cheap parts for welding a manifold and exhaust shops sell parts too. Plastic pipes can be used in the intake and stock ecu survives small boost.

You should get away with £200 or so.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

kanujunkie

i can just imagine what a botch that could look like  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

i meant, is there a turbo kit you can buy that you'd be able to fit yourself?

with my last car, i got a turbo conversion done from Van Aaken Delopments, mine was fitted by them but they also did a diy kit so you can fit it all yourself

kanujunkie

almost any kit can be fitted yourself, i think a better idea would be to give us an idea of your abilities first.
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

plus your  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   new engine
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

i have a friend who is mechanic, so he'll be able to fit it, its just cost that scares me! 4k for the ttet! seriosuly cant afford that, im only a student with a part time job!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

aaronjb

Right now, I think the best value-for-money has to go to the C2Power kit - but you're still looking at the best part of £2500 fitted, realistically, at least.

You could perhaps import a kit from Japan cheaper (PE, maybe?), but it will be lacking things you'll need to add - for one, it didn't come with an Intercooler, and you can only run ~7psi boost or thereabouts without an IC and ECU.

There are no cheap turbo kits  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

never has teh phrase, cheap, quality, and reliable, pick 2 been more apt

if youhave to do it on teh cheap you'll never afford to fix it when it breaks.

thats the beauty of the TTE (it shouldn't break)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"thats the beauty of the TTE (it shouldn't break)

Every time someone says that I always have this burning desire to mention the falling-out heatshield bolts...
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

my turbo conversion on my Fiesta only cost 2500, and it didnt break, had it for over 15000 miles! was perfect... so maybe at times cheap does go hand in hand with relibility etc...  s8) 8) s8)

and btw when i mean cheap i mean around £2000 or there abouts

Anonymous

Just because something is cheaper than by another manufacturer, doesnt automatically mean the quality is going to be inferior.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "projectneon"Just because something is cheaper than by another manufacturer, doesnt automatically mean the quality is going to be inferior.

correct, but as with a lot of things in life, you pay for what you get
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

I was rather refering to the £200 post

if you want the learning experience of installing it yourself (and that can be half the fun) and want to buy a kit (I'd recomend it)

your best bet at this moment on a cost perspective has to be C2

but steer well clear of Hass

Anonymous

a few cheaper options:

m http://www.whifbitz.co.uk/mr2-turbo.html m

m http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/power ... _kit.html# m  (about £1995 before taxes shipping etc)

Richie

kanujunkie

Aaron already mentioned the Power Enterprises kit further up this thread. good kit but no intercooler. BenF over at IMOC runs the kit modified with an intercooler. It held up well at Anglesey
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

Yep - the PE kit comes with no intercooler, and AFAIK no engine management, oh and no injectors.

Add those on to the cost (say, £200 for an intercooler, £400 for engine management and £100 for injectors) and you're already above what the C2 kit costs (which comes with 400cc injectors, the eManage and an IC)

Anonymous

alright, are intercoolers and injectors really needed, i dont even want stupid amounts of power, i'd be happy with say 170bhp, just want that turbo spool and dump vavle!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  that one thing i miss from my last car... it was only a low boost turbo power increase was about 40bhp! but made it sooo much more fun!

Tags: