Engine warenty

Started by PET3R, April 4, 2006, 15:55

PET3R

our '2 is coming up to 5 years old in june and I was wondering about taking out an extended engine warrenty..

i have a few questions though..

how much is it?
can i get a normal warrenty as in what you get with a new carnot just an engine one?
if pre cats go what would mr T do?

Anonymous

I paid £465 for mine with Toyota for 12 months but you can buy a 24 month one for about £700 (sorry can't remember the exact figure). I am paying by direct debit over 10 months at £46-50 each month. It includes RAC homestart/recovery as well.

alancdavis

thats a lot of dosh  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

Anonymous

£175 here for 12 month warranty

Chris_h

I don't think you can extend the warranty - because your car is not already in warranty. This 5 year thing for engines is not official to the best of my knowledge as probably stems from Toyota UK goodwill.

To the best of my knowledge, you would only be able to extend within 3 years - unless your car already has extended warranty or you bought it used from a T dealer who added a warranty.

Either way, £400+ seems a bit steep
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

darrenjuggins

Hi,

I have the Toyota Warranty - worth every penny.

£500 - £600 for 2 years troble free motoring is nothing, Volvo charge about £1,100 for on year!

I'm now on my second extension, which will take me to years.

I suggest a visit to Mr T for the can I / Can't I answer.  As long as you have service history, preferably FTSH then, you should be able to pick the Toyota Warranty up.

For all vehicle below 7 years old and less than 100,000 miles on at inception, you get Manufacturer Equivilent Warranty, which is basically Bullitproof. For piece of mind, I plumbed for the Toyota one..... £9,000 worth of warranty work can't be wrong !

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

Chris_h

Darren,

FWIW with other manufacturers, it is necessary to have uninterupted warranty cover - to prevent taking out the warranty when a failure is imminent!

However, it is worth asking - maybe they will extend it if they have just serviced it?

And it is not like anyone in the motor trade to turn down a revenue source....

Be interested to know what they say....
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

your car doesnt have to be within the 3 year warranty to take out the extended toyota warranty. I took out my 2 year unlimited mileage toyota warranty when my car was 4.5 years old, cost about £670 i think and comes with 2 years fully comp RAC cover.

I've already had a £450 gearbox bearing replacement job carried out, my car towed home by the RAC when the big end failed and 2 days of hire car from the RAC.

Its also given me piece of mind with regards to my latest engine failure.

Chris_h

Richie,

Did you have a warranty on it at the time you took out the extended?

I would have thought business sense would dictate that T would want to inspect any car currently out of warranty.

Does the extended warranty (beyond base 3 years) cover cosmetic items such as wheels?

darrenjuggins

Hi Chris,

Wheels are not covered, neither are cosmetics.

It's full Mechanical and Electrical Warranty as per Manufacture specification.

Although mine did cover rusting break discs, which could have been classed as cosmetic, although it could be also classed as a mechincal defect.

The warranty is run by Aon, but everything is handled by your dealer, I just take my car in and pick it up.

So far in my second extension, I've had a starter motor replaced.

My previous list is huge, so I won't list here.

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris_h"Richie,

Did you have a warranty on it at the time you took out the extended?

I would have thought business sense would dictate that T would want to inspect any car currently out of warranty.

Does the extended warranty (beyond base 3 years) cover cosmetic items such as wheels?

I had no warrenty on it at the time i took it out. Toyotas only stipulation was that I had a full service history (which they never checked till i made a claim)

they didnt even want to inspect the car.

wheels aren't covered by it, they will only offer a "Skimming" service on rusting brakes and exhausts aren't covered unless its a mechanical failure rather than wear and tear.

Anonymous

Chris_H

Read between the lines on my post here[http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10572&highlight=]

I bought my W reg '2' in October 05 (out of warranty) and took the extended warranty out in January following a conversation with the service manager from a Toyota Garage. I queried whether Toyota would inspect the car and his quote was something along the lines of "it isn't like health insurance, there is no requirement for an inspection" He also said that the assessor was very rarely called out to approve claims except in clutch cases, so I had an anxious wait for a few days until they ok'd my job  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

But it was the best piece of advice given to me by anyone from Toyota for which my pocket will be ever grateful  s8) 8) s8)  [/url]

Anonymous

oops link not working but hope you can find it   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

philster_d

Anonymous

cheers Phister, one day I'll get the hang of this forum posting lark  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Chris_h

I stand totally corrected!

Seems T have a different attitude to some other manufacturers. I suppose they rake back some money by keeping them in the dealer network longer for servicing etc

I must admit folks, we do complain quite a bit about these failures and niggles, but Toyota seem very willing to dip into their pockets. The same certainly can not be said of others I have dealt with recently.

BTW - any clarification on this 5 year engine thing?

Chris_h

So, if i was a devious sort and my engine had just failed.... I could take out an extended warranty and wait a few months before making a claim? (just to make it seem more realistic)

Perhaps I should keep quiet, in case one day I need to do such an awful thing!

normanh

Just been offered the extended warranty on my newly aquired 2 and its causing me grief as my 2 is on warranty now and I cant anyone to sort out the problems locally, not sure whether the £464 is worth it and I have told Toyota Customer Service this, really sick of this warranty claim I have only had the car 5 weeks on the road. To be honest not impressed one bit, you can see my comments in other threads. Basically the car went in for one claim and was badly dealt with , the dealer highlighted another but said to me this was not covered and what did I want to do? Sick is not the word I feel totally gutted!!!!!!

normanh

normanh

mmm Toyota Warranty on used cars, finally have had a call back from Customer Relations on my problem, the local dealer has finally said in his opinion that the brake problem is down to wear and tear hence not covered by warrant. Customer Service is taking this view as well. So what good is a warranty, I do understand the difference between wear and tear like if the pads need replacing or the cable needs an adjustment to take up slack but in my case its simply not working either a seized cable or maybe a caliper. I am beginning to question whether this is a simple cop out by my local dealer. A non operating hand brake in my view does not occur in a period of 3 days.

The good news is the dealer who i purchased the car from has agreed to look it next saturday for me and provide a car should i need to leave it with them, trouble is its a 2 hour drive. I think theres a moral to warrantys along the lines its very much your local dealer dependant. Sorry for taking up space here on the matter and not in the thread I had previously posted but the story is very much important to those considering the extended warranty as what is "fair wear and tear", this could be put to any failure we may encounterif you have a friendly dealer you are laughing a stroppy onr then you are buggered with a big bill!!!!

normanh

darrenjuggins

Hi Norman,

I think you are totally right on the dealer, I have nothing but praise for mine every year and they are really fair and do as much as they possibly can for me.

I guess the moral of the story is, don't get a warranty on a vehicle, when you are actaully going to get it serviced at a unknown dealer, which in your case seems to be a pants one.

Next time your up lincoln way, call in at Listers Toyota and i'm sure you will find a different attitude.

Best of Luck Norman

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

normanh

Well great news Dingles who I bought the car have been absolutely super, replaced the o/s braked cable and everything is fine. cant fault the service from them well worth the 2 hour drive and will use them for all my servicing for the future. so much for my local dealer!!!

My faith in Toyota is being restored!

normanh

Tags: