Malfunction Indicator lamp

Started by Anonymous, April 5, 2006, 01:33

Anonymous

Hi Guys,

I have just returned from work with the Engine malfunction lamp on.  Never been on before (apart from startup), and tried turning everything off and restarting but still remains illuminated.

Book says either:
a. fuel tank empty - not this
or
b. There is a problem somewhere in the engine elctrical system - have checked by Mr T.

Has anyone any ideas what it may be and how to cure it before I phone Mr T and book it in later today?

Thanks

spit

Under your manual's definition of "b" it could be one of many things. Behind each light a code is generated that can be read with a diagnostic tool that plugs in under the dash. This is the only way of easily pinpointing the source.

Some members here have diagnostic code readers so may be able to help you out there (unless your car is an MR-S import in which case only the more expensive readers will work).

Don't panic: if your car is still running OK it may be a sign that something temporarily breached normal operating limits. In any case, the ECU will default to a safe tune if it needs to, but get the code read as soon as you can, and don't take any flannel from MrT over replacing parts just yet - it may just mean a sensor needs cleaning. Ask them for the code and post it up - members here may be able to advise further.

Ste
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Thanks Ste

Atleast I can continue to drive - its not going to implode and self destruct on me!   Although I didn't go above 2500rpm it certainly didn't feel sick or sluggish.

Can I expect to pay Toyota for the assessment and diagnosis or does it depend on who's there at the time?

My nearest is Ashford Orbital Park (Kent) does anyone have any experience of this garage?

Thanks

Anonymous

Hi again

Having been to Mr T today:

Car connected to Intelligent tester and found that one of the four(?) O2 sensors was faulty.  Indicator reset and no fault present after leaving garage.  Paid bill for £26.43
Mr T said they would send me a quote for O2 sensor replacement through post ready for if/when it re-occurs.  (about:  £120 to £150 for sensor plus labour).
20 miles later I have the malfunction light again.

Does this seem like sensible action costs etc?

Thanks
Ian

Anonymous

If you don't mind a bit of DIY the O2 sensors are available considerably cheaper but you have to cut the wires and solder on the connector from your existing sensor.

aaronjb

Quote from: "ianmc"one of the four(?)

There's only three  s;) ;) s;)  ODB-II has codes for four O2 sensors to accommodate V engines with two main CATs (and ergo two before-CAT O2 sensors and two post-CAT O2 sensors)  s:) :) s:)

As Stuart says - if you're not afraid of a soldering iron (and since Toyota were going to post a sensor to you, I presume you're not afraid of swapping sensors yourself) then you can get 'generic' sensors quite cheaply online.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spit

I'm back! Soz, been out all day  s8) 8) s8)  

Aaron and Moleshome's advice is your best bet for an efficient fix....but....

1) Hopefully the Toyota garage gave you the code so you know which sensor it is! If they didn't, insist they do - its the least you should expect for £26.43, especially if they're suggesting you replace your own!

(my money's on one of the O2 heater circuits  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  .... in which case the light will come back on after a second start-up. See one of many links here).

2) You'll need an O2 socket to extract the old and replace with the new.... but these are pretty cheap and well worth having.

Do a search or get back to us if you wanna go with a generic sensor. I'm sure some members here will know where the best deals are.

Wiring is
o Black: Heater supply +12v
o Black: Heater ground
o Blue: Signal
o White: Signal ground

at least it is on J-Spec sensors.

Ste

normanh

Just bought an OBD II reader on Ebay from the States paid £28 for it which includes the full set of descriptions and codes. Its worth the investments and only takes a week to arrive!
Last time i went to main dealer on a engine code fault other than the 2 it cost me £40 each time.

normanh

spit

Yep they are a good deal, but just to re-emphasise: they don't work on the J-Spec MR-S, and we've yet to find a reader under £300 that does  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

If you have a UK car, Ian, these are a sound investment. Again, post up and ask and I'm sure members will point you to the good 'uns.

Ste

Anonymous

I have just phoned Mr T and he tells me that the faulty sensor is Bank1 sensor 2. ( won't tell me code as that is Toyota technical info!) I assume from previous posts that that is one of the sensors in the exhaust manifold but which side?

If I buy a new generic sensor from:
 m http://www.gendandirect.co.uk/viewprodu ... ct=O24WIRE m
and a socket and replace the duff one will that be job done or do I then need to play with resets of ECU and SEL etc and for that do I need an OBD II reader

Have read previous posts re this but  my simple mind is quite confused.

Thanks

Anonymous

Oh, and my car is MR2  UK spec yr 2000

Ta

normanh

This what I brought for my Uk Spec car, and it works not that I have found a fault yet but it does read ok!  s8) 8) s8)  

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/U380-OBD-2-EOBD-C ... dZViewItem m

normanh

Anonymous

Which sensor is number 2 - left or right?

Ian

P.S.  Have ordered an OBD II, socket and new sensor.  I'll let you know how I get on

spit

Good luck with it Ian. You might want to wait for someone who knows for absolutely sure - I've always been confused with banks and sensor numbers cos J-spec doesn't have the post-cat one..... but....

My fault was B2S1 and thats on the manifold nearside (left as you look at the engine from the back)....so chances are its not that one  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

So maybe "sensor 2" refers to the post-cat sensor. I've just never understood why it is given a "Bank" label aswell.

Can anybody clarify B1S2 ?

aaronjb

Pretty sure you're right on that one - and that B2S1 is manifold left, B1S1 is manifold right, and B1S2 is after the CAT (which, although it will light a CEL, should make no change to the running of the car - it's an OBD-II check fail, but doesn't revert to a safety map)

It gets a 'bank' label simply because the naming scheme was designed to accommodate cars with four O2 sensors, two on one bank of cylinders and two on the other (at least, that's my understanding - granted I haven't spoken to whoever it was that invented OBD-II  s;) ;) s;) )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tem

From BGB:
Bank1 Sensor 2 is after the cat
Bank1 Sensor1 is the manifold right one
Bank2 Sensor1 is the manifold left one
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Thanks for all your help, I now have a OBD II reader and the new O2 sensor ready for installing.

I got the reader a few days ago and couldn't resist plugging it in to see if it worked!  As expected I had the fault code (which was giving me the light) and the same code 'pending'.  I cancelled both of these.

Now - the questions:
What is the significance of 'pending'?  
and:
I did this three days ago and have started the engine about 7 or 8 time and the fault light has not returned.  Does this mean that the sensor has fixed itself, MrT didn't really cancel it, or its just a matter of time before it appears again?  My concern is that there is a fault present but its not being indicated

Thanks again
Ian.

spit

If its the O2 heater circuit Ian, mine also failed under temperature and rectified itself a few times before it gave up completely. Its a sure sign that your circuit is on the way out though.

Pending - I've no idea  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Ste

Tags: