Clutch-gear box problem... :-(

Started by spynish, April 19, 2006, 18:56

spynish

Hi all,

Let me try to explain my problem beacuse it's difficult. Perhaps someone has any idea...
My clutch doesn't engage well since some time ago. It's not very problematic since only occurs when car is  warm, mostly after some city-traffic driving and after changing gears a lot. It happens when car is stopped and after engaging 1st, I don't have any more problems in engaging the following gears( I have to make real effort sometimes to engage it)
I have tried without success to bleed it so this seems not to be the problem.
Possible solutions given by Mr.T and other mechanic.
Mr.T: Seems to be the gear box, beacuse only happens when it's warm...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Mechanic I trust: Seems to be the clutch because it seems the disc doesn't stop properly and that's why it doesn't engage well. Also gears work well when the car is not started, when it's off, so sure is the clutch instead of gear box. (hope this makes sense for you)...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

My question, what about Hidraulic bomb (don't know if it's said this way). I mean the preasure thingy... Coulb be this, instead of clutch (only has 20000!!!)  s:?: :?: s:?:

Any thoughts are very welcome!

Thanks!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

My guess would be that it's either a damaged clutch friction plate, pressure plate, or a problem with the hydraulics.

Is it possible to see the clutch slave cylinder and determine how much movement there is when the pedal is fully to the floor?  If so, see whether the movement (throw) is as great when the problem occurs (warm) as when cold.

If the throw is the same, then you will need to check the friction plate and pressure plate.  If the throw is less when warm, then check the hydraulics, change the fluid completely, check the rubber seals etc.

I think it's most unlikely to be the gearbox.

spynish

Quote from: "peterb"Is it possible to see the clutch slave cylinder and determine how much movement there is when the pedal is fully to the floor?  If so, see whether the movement (throw) is as great when the problem occurs (warm) as when cold.

If the throw is the same, then you will need to check the friction plate and pressure plate.  If the throw is less when warm, then check the hydraulics, change the fluid completely, check the rubber seals etc.

I think it's most unlikely to be the gearbox.

Mmm...

So I need to open clutch to check, right? No more chances?

What about selector getting old? or if it was selector the problem would be always there?

Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Alberto

Tags: