Wiring a gauge for power

Started by ninjinski, April 19, 2006, 20:40

ninjinski

Looking for a power source to ensure my boost gauge lights up when the car lights are turned on - any idea?

I'm thinking from behind the speedo gauge unit but no idea which wires to use - I can have a play around but would be great if anyone can point me in the right directon - Anyone??

Ta!   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

Anonymous

Take the power from the cigar lighter?

I dunno, I'm far from an expert at electrics. I'm merely stating where just about every other thing that needs power gets it from.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

MR-S Turbo

Behind the stereo should be an orange wire marked with illumination.
TRD 2000GT - 500BHP ish

ninjinski

Quote from: "Ekona"Take the power from the cigar lighter?

I dunno, I'm far from an expert at electrics. I'm merely stating where just about every other thing that needs power gets it from.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Mate I already have the following powered from there :

Snooper  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
TV  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Freeview box  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Neon x 3  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Bit worries about running too much from there and also looking for something that works with the lights - Ill check the stereo for a start!
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

Anonymous

As you say, if you run too high a load from the "Illumination" output, it will probably blow the fuse.

However, I don't know what this fuse would be rated at, nor do I know what amount of current your devices would draw from the illumination output.

Personally, I would make up a simple circuit using a relay so that you could run all of your devices without loading the illumination output.

I would draw you up a simple circuit diagram however I'm at work and cant access my ftp server to host it, but I'll try and remember and do this for you tomorrow once I'm home.

(Unless somebody else wishes to do it before me instead?)

Richie.

Anonymous

As Promised:

I have included the pin numbers so that you can simply use a standard cars relay, the type used for headlights etc.

Richie.

GSB

cigar lighter is fused at 25 amps, so should be able to handle even the power requirements of all the gear you have hooked up to it. The best place for illumination power is indeed the light circuit, and the easiest place for that is at the headunit...

The illumination supply should easily be able to cope with a couple of extra leds in your guages
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

updated wiring diagram above...

ninjinski

Quote from: "Richie"updated wiring diagram above...

Brilliant, thanks mate   s:D :D s:D
Sable

GSB

Richie, wiring it that way will mean the stereo only works when the lights are on. He's only going to run the little lamps in the back of his new guages, thers no need to for a fortified power supply for that!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"Richie, wiring it that way will mean the stereo only works when the lights are on. He's only going to run the little lamps in the back of his new guages, thers no need to for a fortified power supply for that!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

just reread and realised I've been confused   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  . I thought this circuit was to be used to provide illumination for the following:

Snooper  
TV  
Freeview box  
Neon x 3
boost gauge

I now see that the only thing which Jim wants illuminated is the 3 leds on his boost gauge so yes, I agree that the illumination cable at the rear of the stereo would more than suffice in this instance and that my circuit diagram won't be neccesary in this instance.

apologies if i confused anybody else.

Richie.

ninjinski

If Im honest I didnt understand it anyway - Never learned electronics in Business Psychology school   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Sable

Tags: