Caliper Paint Problem??

Started by northernalex, April 28, 2006, 17:51

northernalex

did a quick search but didnt find anything.

OK, I'm a complete newbie, I admit it. But I pained me calipers on Sunday and today (5 days later) its still tacky. Its dry to the touch but if you push with your finger a deep fingerprint appears. You can get your nail in it too.  I think I may have done something wrong? Put on too many coats or something.  

Can anyone reccomend a good way to get this paint off.. Or is this normal, Ive been told it should go rock hard.  

Maybe stop doing anything to me car untill Ive had it more than a month?

Cheers guys
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

GSB

Give it time. Unless its a 2 pack paint it'll require either a heated garage, or a month of Sundays in the current weather. If you could try a hair dryer, but that does come with a risk of looking like an utter berk in your driveway...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

northernalex

Ahh so it should dry, now I feel completly dumb.. Wanna pint?
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

MRMike

Like Grant says I would dry it with a hairdyer before driving, otherwise you'll get a build up of all sorts of crap and it will look pretty gash.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

northernalex

actually Ive been driving on it for a couple of days and it still looks clean nothing is actually sticking to it.  Maybe I've just put too much on.. I'll try the hairdryer thingy
evileye_xc said:

ash1809

whilst on this topic can you use a heat gun?

Anonymous

You could try using a heat gun but I've always found the girlfriends hairdryer to be quite up to the job when you need to speed up the curing process.
If your heat gun is anything like mine make sure you start on a low setting from a way away or you may end up blistering the paint.

On second thoughts I'd really just stick to the hair dryer - a lot more predictable.

Anonymous

What's wrong with a little spirrited driving and brake usage (get's 'em hotter than a hairdrier  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  )

philster_d

because bits will stick in the paint

northernalex

Tried the hairdrier, I looked so stupid.  Paint melted and began to peel off. So i stripped all the paint with a knife, wire wool and some paint remover!  Dodgy halfraud's paint? Perhaps..
evileye_xc said:

Anonymous

Quote from: "philster_d"because bits will stick in the paint
I suppose you're right.

After 5 days and it is still tacky I'm surpised that he found a square centimetre clear of debris to find out it was still wet  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

roger

Maybe you put it on too thick. I put on 3 thin coats (Foliatec, not halfrauds) each about 1 hour apart, and it worked perfectly. Still there and shining over a year later.

Foliatec comes with a cleaning spray as well. Could it be that you had / have something on the calipers that's stopping the drying, like wheel wax? A distinct possibility if you not had it from new. I would give them a good scrub, preferably with a degreasing agent / wheel cleaner before you do it again.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tags: