More Pre-cat stuff

Started by Anonymous, May 9, 2006, 11:04

Anonymous

Hi Guys,

Just wondering has anyone actually still got their pre cats and had NO problems?

Please state age of car and approximate mileage.

I've only had my '2' a few weeks it's an 02 with 56000 on, her pre cats are in place no oil usage as yet, I haven't had chance to check them yet though.

Just trying to get an idea of how common this problem is.

Also whos left them in and HAD problems?

Jamie.

kanujunkie

sounds as though your a bit worried there Jamie, so although the usual search bit applies i'll continue. This is a very rare problem in the grand scale of how many cars toyota sold, yes there is an issue and yes we will always say to you to go whip em out, but there are only a few hundred cases out of several thousand cars sold.

and fair point on the how many still exist with the precats, not sure weve ever asked it from that angle
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

spit

Stu is right - in the grand scheme of things its not common, but it is known that precats can fail and it is preventable. As a Club we can't condone messing with the emissions system on your car - but we can provide examples of the hows, whys, wherefores etc to help you to come to a decision.

You pose an interesting question Jamie, but please don't think that a straw poll of answers will bring conclusive results or peace of mind for you.

Respondents to any thread about precats on these pages are already aware and biassed towards removing them in relation to the wider '2 owner community, so any result you get would swing you towards the "take 'em out" option. That in itself is not what you should base your judgement on.

MR2ROC - great though it is - only represents a small percentage of '2 owners (as evidenced through the "Spotted" threads  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ).
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Two's Company

To look at it from the other side, I've done 14,000 miles without precats and had no issues.    s:? :? s:?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

There might only be a small chance of them breaking up and destroying your engine but IMHO what's the point in taking the risk when they are not needed anyway?   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

I gutted mine at 70,000 Miles and mine were still in pristine condition

heathstimpson

Gutted mine 9000 miles ago and no issues at all; touch wood  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

leon_in_uk

1 half of the pre cat was gutted by itself..

and that happened at 75,000 miles...

get them out ASAP..... otherwise your looking around £1500 for an engine and fitting.
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

edward.carter

got mine out at roughly 38000 miles slight crack on top, not bad at all though upto about 46000 miles now and fine ever since   s:D :D s:D   (inc. mot in case you were wondering)

leon_in_uk

anyone find any performance gains? or extra grunts?
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

Anonymous

I replaced my manifold, with a Che, with only 3500 miles on the clock, I'm just not prepared to take the risk, however small it may be, I would like my engine to last the life time of the car, it looks better on the log book  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Thanks
RobS

Anonymous

I've pretty much decided they're coming out anyway TBH I was just wondering how extensive the problem was and why Toyota don't admit to it when other manufacturers ( I read a post about Nissan) do?

The main thing I  was worrying about was the mileage of my car, could some damage have already occured!  I bought my car from a dealer with a 12 month warranty but the thing that concerns me is if they don't accept this problem if it should arise are they gonna repair my car?

What are other peoples experiences of dealing with dealers reguarding this problem?

Anonymous

Had mine out a few weeks ago when SP fitted my Che maniold. It was an X-Reg motor with 17.5K on the clock. They were completely intact when I looked.

Anonymous

Hi

Mine are still in great condition after 51000 miles however its booked in at a local garage to have them remove just to be on the safe side   s:P :P s:P

aaronjb

Quote from: "MR-Spyder"I've pretty much decided they're coming out anyway TBH I was just wondering how extensive the problem was and why Toyota don't admit to it when other manufacturers ( I read a post about Nissan) do?

Nissan probably sold 10x (heck, maybe 100x) the affected models in their range than Toyota ever sold Roadsters..

So for Nissan, they decided that it was best to issue a statement, than face a giant public backlash if tens of thousands (or hundreds of thousands) of units failed.

Toyota have probably seen a couple of thousand failures (granted, I'm pulling numbers out of the air here) - it's highly unlikely that there would be a big public uproar in the press with the kind of very low volume vehicle that ours is.

Basically - it was cheaper for Nissan to admit the fault and issue a statement/recall than to risk a class action suit or image damage.
And it was cheaper for Toyota to ignore the problem and fix on a per-unit basis.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Replaced mine with a Che, but when we removed the old ones, they were pristine after 65,000 miles.

Anonymous

This is the wrong question. We know this: Precats are a really bad idea that can result in catastrophic engine failure. And we know that people who do not remove them are at risk for catastrophic engine failure.

So, knowing all that, your question could be rephrased as, "Let's say I just leave them alone. How hard do I have to pray that I won't suffer catastrophic engine failure?" But true enthusiasts don't like the prayer system of maintenance. Good thing you've decided to get them off the car.

The right question, and it hasn't been answered yet, is "How long will the motor last after it's been decatted?" Highest mileage Mk III I'm aware of had 120K miles (with precats).

Tags: