Help fitting MKiii inlet pipe...

Started by Wabbitkilla, June 24, 2006, 17:25

Wabbitkilla

OK, i've cracked the airbox trying to force the Markiii in.

I'm not quite happy with the fit & possible leakage at either end and was thinking about fitting flexible silicon type hosing over the top with Jubiless to secure it to the air box and to the plastic elbow of the air intake.

So, does anyone know where i can get this stuff at reasonable prices and what size / type of hose to get?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

spit

Doh!

Link here might help you Nic, but silicone hosing isn't cheap wherever you get it from cos its engineered to withstand uber-boost and mega-heat. Maybe a bit overkill for the application?

I'll root around in the garage and see if I have a bit kicking about that'd fit.

Halfrauds is also an option for some cheeky little hose kits that you could adapt.

But if I were you, I'd be handsome  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ....... no wait, If I were you, I'd have a chat with a friendly Unipart stockist - they'll be able to kit you out with something less extortionate of the correct inside diameter and a couple of hose clips.

Or, you can do what others have done and effect a seal with dremel and jubilee clip (here, towards the bottom of the thread)

Me? I'd gaffer tape it  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

PS You can have my old airbox if you've totally naused yours up!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"PS You can have my old airbox if you've totally naused yours up!

Cats, exhausts, airboxes... Do you just, like, have a spare car sat around in case of emergencies?!?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

spit

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I would have a lot less, but no-one seems to want it james   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

What a bu**er Nic. that pipe must be a big 'un! Get yourself the PPE!

Anonymous

Mmmmm that's happend to a few of us that have bought old Markiii inlet pipes - were there two versions?

Wabbitkilla

Thanks Phil - the airbox would be great.

We'll have to arrange a meet up sometime soon.

The crack isn't too bad at the moment, but i've had to jubilee it to keep things in place, and it spreads all the way back to the airbox proper. I might even know someone at work who can supply a couple of off-cuts of Si as he's building a Cosworth power Morris Minor (for the past 7 years).   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

On a positive note, i don't know if it's all in the mind, but she sounds sweeter now and seems to accelerate a little cleaner. Not surprising when you see the restriction of the original pipe. A bit like when i took the airbox trumpets off my Ducati.

Thanks everyone for your support and advice, and B3ful for supplying the pipe.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Wabbitkilla

I've just found these guys;
http://www.msport.co.uk/index.html

Their prices for couplers are reasonable, so i logged up an order for £29.00 and they want to charge £46 for delivery!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Not likely matey boy!

spit

Wot a rip-off!

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Thanks Phil - the airbox would be great.

Not sure who Phil is, so I'll reply instead  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Yep, if you can make use of the box give me a shout. One thing though - being J-spec it doesn't have the PCV connection in the lid. Your lid should fit though.

Ste

Wabbitkilla

Oops - finger trouble when i've got a cold!

Sorry ste - just need to sort out a meet up & exchange.

Still searching for a friendly Si supplier.

Wabbitkilla

Have found these guys;
http://www.espdesign.co.uk/esp.storefront/EN/Product/48260

Ordered and on the way with some jubilees off ebay.

Getting there   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Wabbitkilla

ESP came back that they're out of stock and will need 4 weeks to fulfill the order!

Scratch that - poor excuses.

Ordered from Demon Tweeks at a cheaper price (why didn't i think of them first?)

Anonymous

Can you let me know how you get on with this, I cracked my airbox as well but now have a replacement. Would apprciate a gander and the finished mod - shouldn't be difficult to arrange since your at Skipton and I'm in Silsden!

Wabbitkilla

Done it....

Still would like the airbox though Ste!

Two Samco 80mm connectors and 4 70-90mm jubilee clips.
Simple ate the end of the day. If i did it again, ir would possible try a Samco 80-70mm reducer for the end of the inlet over the wheel arch connection, but the 80mm crushes down ok.

Why 80mm? Well it fits snugly over the original pipework and inlet to the airbox. I'd post some pictures, but i can't and at present too lazy to find somewhere to drop them and post the links.

Dodzi, if you want to meet up somewhere i'm happy to come along.

Next - breastplate should arrive this week.

spit

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Still would like the airbox though Ste!

Ooh if you'd only waited five more minutes at Cartmel Nic  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"
Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Still would like the airbox though Ste!

Ooh if you'd only waited five more minutes at Cartmel Nic  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

He was in two much of a rush to get home and eat his sticky toffee pudding  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Wabbitkilla

Still in the fridge!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Not to worry - everything seems to be working nicely, so no hurry for the airbox. We heard that you had missed the car park at Cartmel Ste, so i didn't know if you were coming back, like i said - no worries.

It would have been fun seeing you climbing Wrynose and Hardknot passes though   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

spit

Give me a shout when you're next free Nic.

Probably a blessing that I missed the twisties. Something just wasn't right with the car all morning, and poor Gazz was getting a faceful of 97RON behind me.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

All fixed at Cartmel thanks to a piece of gaffer tape from a rusty Mk1 wheel arch.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anyone got a spare TB pipe knocking about?

markiii

u broke the tb pipe?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

spit

It wasn't me, I never touched it  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Yep, huge gash in the flexi   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Bizarre symptoms 'cos it stretched and sealed under boost. Lift off and all manner of bangs and pops (and an AFR of 7.5  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  )

This 1-zz is a very forgiving engine.

markiii

ah of course on your early kit it still has teh flexi airbox section in place? whereas Stu and Phils have a full length hard pipe?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

spit

Yep it looks like a job for Samco. Dunno if they do something that'll offer lengthways expansion but there should be enough give in a 90 elbow now I've got the Kirks on.

/soz for drifting Nic

markiii

might have a spare of what you split if you want it?

spit

The gaffer tape seems to be holding up at the mo Mark. I'll shout if I can't find a quick solution. Cheers.

Tags: