APEXi AFC Neo

Started by Gofaster, July 31, 2006, 10:14

Gofaster

I had my mind se on a Unichip and was quoted 860 Euro + Vat... this includes fitting/mapping/power figures etc...

However the dealer suggested a Apexi AFC Neo, 351Euro  + VAT (new for 2006)...

Value for money wise it looks like the way to go, but info on this is still scares... (New on the market).

Looks like the Unichip have competition!   s8) 8) s8)
" No Honey, thats always been on my car"

topdown

Is that price for the Apexi including fitting and mapping?
Sold. But i will be back!

Anonymous

try doing a search, the supplier states it is for fine tuning the fuel system when running different from standard, so to my way of thinking you need the unichip first, so thats not going to save much

Tem

Apparently it's just a S-AFC + V-AFC:
 m http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/apex ... _computer/ m

Which means it can only alter the fuel and even that a bit roughly. Our fuel is just fine stock, so I doubt you'll see much of a difference. I'd rather get a piggyback/ecu that can handle timing and VVT, cause the extra power seems to hide behind those.

There's absolutely no use putting this on top of the Unichip, it would just make it worse.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Gofaster

I've just mailed Tightrope ( w www.tightrope.ie w ) for more info on this as they recommended this chip. They also do the Unichip, so they might be in a better position to answer us about the pro's and con's between the two chips. Hope to hear from them soon...

Gofaster

Quote from: "Gofaster"I've just mailed Tightrope ( w www.tightrope.ie w ) for more info on this as they recommended this chip. They also do the Unichip, so they might be in a better position to answer us about the pro's and con's between the two chips. Hope to hear from them soon...

Here's the reply:

AFC Neo controls fuel only,
The unichip controls fuel and ignition,

However, if you are running on 95 octane fuel then there are no real gains
to be had through ignition tuning, so you are better off using the AFC Neo.

Also, the Unichip is 15 years old in design, whereas the AFC is new to the
market... it's an updated version of the S-AFC and V-AFC.

(unichip have been talking about updating the Unichip for the past 4 years
!!, but they haven't delivered).
We have fitted dozens of unichips to Toyotas over the years. When the first
VVTi and VVTLi engines came out 1999-2000 we tuned a lot of them using
Unichip, but unless you are on 98 octane or higher, it's a waste of money
when compared to a good fuel only piggyback unit.

The cost you have posted does not include fitting.

Our costs incl fitting are;
Unichip fitted and setup on Dynapack: 860 + vat
AFC Neo fitted and setup on Dynapack: 570 + vat

For group buys there are good discounts, but we always like to fit and map
the ECUs ourselves.

If you want to control the variable cams, then the Unichip is not
sufficient.
You need to use a standalone ECU such as a Motec or Gems or Apexi PowerFC.
There are very good gains through CAM mapping but obviously its more
expensive to buy a standalone ECU.

Rgds,
Cathal.

markiii

so why not just get an emanage that does both in one unit?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Gofaster

Quote from: "markiii"so why not just get an emanage that does both in one unit?

When it comes to chips and chip tuning I'm a noob. Had my mind set on the Uni Chip due to all the good feedback on the forum, 98 octane is not available close to me so the Apexi Neo makes sense after the reply I got from the dealer... But with "fuel only" I start to think it might be a waste of time and money and a better option would be a standalone ECU such as a Motec, Gems or Apexi PowerFC   s:?: :?: s:?:  

At the end of the day it's about the best "bang for your buck" and by the looks of it, for a extra 200Euro or so there's much better value for money than the Uni Chip   s:?: :?: s:?:  

Back to the search button....   s:? :? s:?    s:? :? s:?    s:? :? s:?

Tem

Quote from: "Gofaster"We have fitted dozens of unichips to Toyotas over the years. When the first VVTi and VVTLi engines came out 1999-2000 we tuned a lot of them using Unichip, but unless you are on 98 octane or higher, it's a waste of money when compared to a good fuel only piggyback unit.

I bet many members would argue the point about Unichip being waste of money for our car.  s8) 8) s8)

QuoteAFC Neo fitted and setup on Dynapack: 570 + vat

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

You can get a PFC for less. And that controls a lot more than AFC+Unichip combined would. Fitment can be done by yourself, if you can open 5 bolts to remove one plastic cover and undo 4 clips that connect to the ecu. And it even comes with a basic setup and users are sharing their own maps if you want to experiment.
(of course a tune on a dyno would always be the best choice)

Don't get the AFC, even if your dealer wants to sell you one.  s8) 8) s8)
(of course he does, that's how he makes a living)

Gofaster

Quote from: "Tem"

You can get a PFC for less. And that controls a lot more than AFC+Unichip combined would. Fitment can be done by yourself, if you can open 5 bolts to remove one plastic cover and undo 4 clips that connect to the ecu. And it even comes with a basic setup and users are sharing their own maps if you want to experiment.

It sounds easy enough to fit the PFC myself, can always get it dyno tuned later...
Thanks for the reply, I nearly wasted 570 Euro +   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Now to find the best deal on a PFC... any pointers would be welcome...

Thanks   s:D :D s:D

Tem

Quote from: "Gofaster"Now to find the best deal on a PFC... any pointers would be welcome...

m http://www.nengun.com/catalogue/product/1 m

550e shipped (to Finland), that was the best I found two weeks or so ago.

They don't have 1ZZ listed, but they didn't have 2ZZ listed either before asking about it, so I assume they can get one...

markiii

Quote from: "Gofaster"

It sounds easy enough to fit the PFC myself, can always get it dyno tuned later...
Thanks for the reply, I nearly wasted 570 Euro +   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Now to find the best deal on a PFC... any pointers would be welcome...

Thanks   s:D :D s:D

since it's a complete replacement it wil come blank won't it.

you will need to get it tuned immediately
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"since it's a complete replacement it wil come blank won't it

It comes with a basic map that requires 98 octane (and you can always reset it back to that). While it's not perfect for every car, I think I drove around with it for a year myself. Tuning is of course recommended for best results.  s8) 8) s8)

Gofaster

Quote from: "Gofaster"Now to find the best deal on a PFC... any pointers would be welcome...

m http://www.nengun.com/catalogue/product/1 m

550e shipped (to Finland), that was the best I found two weeks or so ago.

They don't have 1ZZ listed, but they didn't have 2ZZ listed either before asking about it, so I assume they can get one...

Thanks   s:!: :!: s:!:    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I saw a reference to the Neo a few months ago in some other car forum (not a Toyota forum).  I could not find ANY other information... just this one guy who said it was going to be a hot product.     s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Tem

Quote from: "Beanie"I saw a reference to the Neo a few months ago in some other car forum (not a Toyota forum).  I could not find ANY other information... just this one guy who said it was going to be a hot product.     s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Here's something:
 m http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/apex ... _computer/ m

I bet it'll be hot among VTEC owners who appreciate a little bling.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Leeber

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I was just about to order a unichip from the US as I thought it was the most cost-effective solution for getting more power from the '2.

Am I to believe then that the PowerFC does eveything that the Unichip does for less money?

Further to what I said above, I just spoke to Millways about whether they had much experience in mapping the PFC, they were of the opinion that the Unichip was still the better product as it can be tuned in real time. Apparently with the PFC, everytime you want to tweak a parameter, the engine has to be switched off, the data downloaded and the unit adjusted before starting the engine again. Also some of the parameters can be adjusted in more detail on the Dastek unit.
I\'m Pink, Therefore I\'m Spam.

Tem

Quote from: "Leeber"Am I to believe then that the PowerFC does eveything that the Unichip does

No, PowerFC does a lot more.  s;) ;) s;)

Quotefor less money?

I'm not sure, but I thought the Unichip was cheaper. If you buy from UK, doesn't it include a dyno tune? Short and simple tune, but anyway.

Buying from US probably includes just a preprogrammed map?

northernalex

Bump,

does the power fc change vvti timings?

Is it interchangable with the stock ecu so toyota would never know it was there?  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

yes and yes

Put the stock ECU back in sometime before emissions testing, though.  I don't know how many miles beforehand, but over here in states the do testing they can tell if the ECU has just been put in because of what is stored in memory.  I don't remember the details of that.  Maybe you could get away with swapping at the last minute and telling them you'd replaced the car's battery?  As for Toyota knowing or not, probably the same story there.

northernalex

Beanie, thanks mate!

I would just tell them that I'd done an ecu reset cos I was using new octane fuel or something. Easy  s:) :) s:)

I have been reading a bit of stuff over on spyderchat and there's just so much information. Is it worth using a PFC, what sorta torque/power increases can you get.

With the Camcon I've been told an increase of 10-15 bhp across the board has been seen on two (french) users spyders.

Any thoughts. Sorry if this is a silly question.. I'm toying with a 2zz conversion or spending a little bit less on small power increases and handelling mods.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

You will love the 2ZZ conversion because there is no negative impact on reliability provided you get an engine in as good or better condition as the one you remove.   I always say that it is an opportunity to "roll back the odometer".  

I actually had better 0 to 60 times with the 1ZZ, though.  I suspect that it is due to not enough traction.  It needs wider wheels.  Acceleration is quite a bit better in normal driving conditions (e.g. passing).   If I could redo the wheels tyres, plus strip some weight off the car, it would be close to an Elise in acceleration, but I use it as a daily driver so weight loss is out  for now.

If you don't do the swap, I am naturally going to recommend a Power FC.  Tem and I have done a lot of neat things with software for that.

northernalex

Beanie, again, thanks mate  s:) :) s:)

Something to think about.  I suspected the 2zz would have better 0-60's
from the power curves  m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13401 m
check the easyplot graph near the bottom.

But its always intresting to get comments from someone who actually has done the swap.  Right, now is the time to check out the 1000's of spyderchat posts (and the tons of sexual innuendos   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   )

Alex
evileye_xc said:

Anonymous

I had a TRD header, custom intake, Team Moon single, and Power FC on the 1ZZ.  Now I have the Little Rocket swap header, a different (better) custom intake, same exhaust and stock cat, and Power FC on the 2ZZ, plus a lightweight flywheel.  I have to keep the revs up to launch good, but when it is in the real "meaty" part (6K and up) it just smokes the tyres... even with brand new S-03s.  I think with the 1ZZ setup it was easier to coordinate the launch and I could easily control wheelspin.  I just can't seem to launch well with the current setup.  I'm not into drag racing or anything.  I just like to be able to evaluate performance when I make changes.

I think the swap header with stock cat is a limiting factor, but really can't say.  Little Rocket designed it and he says it compares very well to the Celica GT-S header.  The most important factor in my mind with the header is that it is very convenient, allowing you to put any Spyder cat-back exhaust on, but I know there are better ones, like grumpy's.  It was also only $500 (I got in on the first group buy).  Grumpy's header was made by monkeywrench racing and is one of a kind.   A couple of other guys have had headers made up for the 2ZZ and I've thought about that, but it would be quite a bit of money, considering I'd also need a high flow cat and different muffler.  It would be about $1500 to make those changes.  One of these days I may either do that or get some cams... or both.  I have not spent much money at all on my car since the swap (about $9K minus what I got for the parts I sold) because I'll probably be getting a second car in the Spring, either an Elise/Exige, making the Spyder just a daily driver (no more mods), or a more comfortable and practical car, making the Spyder an anything-goes, strip it down, barely street legal type of machine.

Tags: