He's crashed, He's crashed.......

Started by Anonymous, October 15, 2003, 07:46

Anonymous

Oop's up until last night i considered myself to be a good driver, oh how wrong I was. I was going around a left hand corner at about 40-45mph, its a corner that i have done many times before and the speed was not OTT when the back end lost grip and fish-tailed violently, after six or so failed atempts to straighten she span me 180 and I went backwards up the opposite side kirb across a path and on to some grass where the front end came round another 180 and the car shot across the road and up the other kirb where i stoped!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Luckily no flat tyres just a dented n/s rear wheel and er some bent suspension still drives but wheels look off camber and steering is not straight.
 I would just like to add that I am quite young (21) but am NOT a boy racer, the road was dry and I have driven some v-tasty cars in my 4 years of driving and was not driving like an idiot as my mum was in the passengers seat!!
 Sorry to go on just thought I would share my bad experiance.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Tem

You got off easy then  s:) :) s:)

Quote from: "petal_skipraider"Oop's up until last night i considered myself to be a good driver, oh how wrong I was.

JMHO, but you* really should try what this car does WHEN you lose grip. It's not like most other RWD cars...

Even if you always drive the same curve at same speed, you never know when there's some dirt on the road.

*you meaning everyone, not just you  s:) :) s:)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Sorry to hear it, Petal. Any advice you require post-accident, be sure to speak to our resident curb doctor, Kris Clark.
Seriously though, glad you're OK, and the car will fix up.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

markiii

and if you need a new wheel MRT isn't the cheapest.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Sorry to hear about that... nightmare aint it! the most important thing is your ok.

Now to the hard stuff.... if the wheel & suspension looks damaged, and your going to get it fixed through Toyota... DO IT THROUGH INSURANCE! Unlike me, mine cost me £1400 to fix, that was for 1 new rear wheel, a referb front one, new suspension bits etc... The rear wheel alone was over £400!

(Everyone else: does this now mean that you can lay off me abour kerbs and start on someone else?)

My original post is on here with photos....  m http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=143 m  - these are photos of my damage but yours sounds at a higher speed so not sure what you may have done to your suspension.

I can give you prices on the parts that i had replaced etc if that would help... and you may be in for a long wait if its suspension parts that needed replacing... Mr T had my car for a month!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Where should I get a new wheel from I think ill need one its a real big dent  s:? :? s:?  Anyone got a set of 03 wheels going spare?

Anonymous

Bigun007 (sp?) was going to sell his wheels at one time and i had 1st refusal on them... he aint said anything since though.

If the wheel aint buckled then you can get a refurb done, but mine was at a lower speed so im not sure if you will get off with it or not... can you get some photos of the damage and we could take a wild guess at the costs?

Anonymous

You had your mum in the passenger seat?  Jeeze... I can imagine the continued nagging now (nearly as bad, but not quite, as having the other half in the car).

Glad you're ok though.

mph

Glad you're not put off by the experience. Now get ya self over to North Weald for a day's tuition. I used to fishtail alot on track until I got told what I was doing wrong!
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Bigun007 (sp?) was going to sell his wheels at one time and i had 1st refusal on them... he aint said anything since though.

If the wheel aint buckled then you can get a refurb done, but mine was at a lower speed so im not sure if you will get off with it or not... can you get some photos of the damage and we could take a wild guess at the costs?

I was going to but my Insurance company wanted to add £150 just for a set of alloy's lol.

If you are really interested i'll look into it again.

Anonymous

Sounds like even more reason for the north weald stuff.

We will be doing it early next year - money is just well tight just now!.

Hey, our two hit 4000 miles last night (not bad since 13th January)...MINT condition or what!

GSB

Ive got a set of 17's sitting doing nothing at the moment, only three good tyres though... I did have a set of standard wheels, but mph is now hammering around racetracks on them every chance he gets... I dont think he'll be willing to part with them!
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Martin - excellent advice, thats what im doing and hoping i will get a lot our of the day.

Bigun - my insurance company said the same to me. I wont be buying them right now, but if you sell them in future i (or plents of others here) will buy them off you.

Craig - 4000!!! ive done over 7200 in mine and only got it in...umm... april?   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Craig, that is barely run in!!!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

You need to get out more mate!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Got mine in Feb with 4444 on the clock. Now got just over 15K. I am a bit worried I am hammering it a little...........  s:? :? s:?    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Suppose its about average though innit?  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Its got no bloody aircon - the essex sun was far too hot, had to use the focus LOL!  The 2 is for the winter!  top down scarfs and hats on...weheey!

Anonymous

Bloody hell, you'll end up looking like Biggles!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Know what you mean about he aircon though. I was never bothered by it, but now I have it, I can see what the benefits are........

Tally ho!

Chris

Quote from: "petal_skipraider"when the back end lost grip and fish-tailed violently, after six or so failed atempts to straighten she span me 180 and I went backwards

that sounds exactly what happened to me in january - unfortunately I didn't have the luxury of grass/paths to spin on and hit something hard!   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Quote from: "tem"JMHO, but you* really should try what this car does WHEN you lose grip. It's not like most other RWD cars...

Precisely the reason why i have booked the north weald day and started going to trackdays...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

dancarbon

Sounds like you encountered the evil enemy of us bike riding folk - a Diesel spill, black ice for all weather conditions   s:( :( s:(  

Glad you're ok, though I expect your ear is well bent out of shape by your Mum.
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Anonymous

You never know it could have been diesel, I have also encountered this on a bike many times in my road riding im glad i was not on a bike last night  s:!: :!: s:!:   My mum actualy praised me for not killing us both she thought that I was in control  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Slacey

Quote from: "petal_skipraider"My mum actualy praised me for not killing us both she thought that I was in control  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Well that's one less hassle to have to worry about!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Everyone else: does this now mean that you can lay off me abour kerbs and start on someone else?

Nope   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Chris

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"
Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Everyone else: does this now mean that you can lay off me abour kerbs and start on someone else?

Nope   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

exactly!!  you've done more than one, so are still the worthy leader!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "dancarbon"Sounds like you encountered the evil enemy of us bike riding folk - a Diesel spill, black ice for all weather conditions   s:( :( s:(  

Also a few others I have learnt from the bike & may help with the 2 are;

oil
wet leaves
man hole covers
smooth black tar patches
white lines
cats eyes
gravel (obvious really)
farmers dropping lumps of field on the road  s:!: :!: s:!:  
combines
Sunday drivers
& last but not least.......mobile speed cameras.........  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I'm not bitter or dangerous.......just had more than my fair share of wiggley bum moments on 2 wheels.

juansolo

Ah the infamous diesel spill...  

All excuses for running out of talent / not reading the road conditions I'm afraid.  My only piece of advice in the situation where you lose the backend and start to fishtail (ie: you lifted) is to jump on the clutch and brakes.  At least you'll skid in the direction of travel.  Remember when in a spin, both feet in.

THEN book yourself on a driver training / track day and learn how to deal with it when it all does go pearshaped.  You'll be suprised at just how much road you require when drifting.  Basic rule of thumb is to save it for the track.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

filcee

Quote from: "SilverMSD2"
Quote from: "dancarbon"Sounds like you encountered the evil enemy of us bike riding folk - a Diesel spill, black ice for all weather conditions   s:( :( s:(  

Also a few others I have learnt from the bike & may help with the 2 are;

<snip>
wet leaves
<snip>

I'm not bitter or dangerous.......just had more than my fair share of wiggley bum moments on 2 wheels.

And I was getting a few wiggles last night driving my favoutrie set of twisties in the dark - and now I think I know why  s:!: :!: s:!:  

MUST engage brain whilst completing three hour drive after long day at work.

(It still wasn't enough to switch on the TC though    s:( :( s:(   )
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Tags: