2003 Stereo Upgrade

Started by heathstimpson, October 17, 2003, 09:32

Anonymous

Quote from: "zud"So to the questions... I've got a Sony 10CD changer that is controlled quite neatly from the standard Sony (2001) h/u.  Would an Alpine unit still be able to control the CD changer, or would I need another Sony??

I've also got a Kenwood CD/mp3 player lying around in the garage, but can't remember which one.  I could give it a try, but how would I control the CD changer (assuming the Kenwood can accept the input)?

All very unlikely; pretty much every manufacturer uses their own proprietary protocols (not just the connectors, but the way the units actually "talk" to each other), effectively locking you into their range.

zud

Quote from: "pmdye"All very unlikely; pretty much every manufacturer uses their own proprietary protocols (not just the connectors, but the way the units actually "talk" to each other), effectively locking you into their range.

Cheers Phil, that would have been my guess!  I would never have bought a multi-changer, as I was always happy with just the h/u, especially with 15-ish mp3 albums per cd with the Kenwood.  But now I've had one, I kinda like it!

On the other hand, I always think Sony are a pretty safe bet... not necessarily the best, and rarely the cheapest... but always good.  I've no complaints about TV, vid, camcorder, walkman, mobile and wife's cd h/u!  So maybe I'll think about one of the Sony's that have been discussed on the forum.
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

Quote from: "zud"I've got a Sony 10CD changer that is controlled quite neatly from the standard Sony (2001) h/u.  Would an Alpine unit still be able to control the CD changer, or would I need another Sony??

I think you can get converters through Halfords or Autoleads but they usually end up costing more than the CD changer is worth.

J

Anonymous

yeah you can buy alpine to sony convertors etc called CD Bus interface adaptors, dont know if halfords sell them but any good ICE compnay will sell them,

But they are expensive around £40 per unit

Tags: