My proposed stereo upgrade

Started by LeeUK, October 18, 2003, 18:53

LeeUK

I spoke to a very nice chap on the phone who works for the Clacton Motorist Center the other day about upgrading my stereo.

He recommeded the SONY CDX-M1000TF CD/MP3 Tuner (TFT screen)

and also

Phonix Gold Octain R 6.5inch components

Are they any good, and can anybody see any reason why i shouldn't be able to fit these to my car?!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I know i may need those groovy spacers that Buster makes!  And also some kind of single din headunit spacer as mine is a double din 03 uk spec radio!

This shop doesn't sell focals, but he is doing the lot for £455!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

I think they look the mutts nuts!   s8) 8) s8)
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Anonymous

damn that HU looks the nuts!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:D :D s:D

LeeUK

Ta very much kind sir!

I'll take that as a compliment... Probably buy it too!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

Anonymous

Not an ICE expert so dont know if its actually any good - Buster will be along to give you the info later im sure... but from the picture it looks damn nice!

heathstimpson

Maybe I should go for that HU as it does look good. Anyone got any reviews on it?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

More details here:

m http://products.sony.co.uk/productdetai ... =3_34_2469 m

Will speak to my contact and see what sort of price he can get this for   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

£455 all fitted is that if so i will have some of that LOL Na on a serius note that price is very cheap

But the Phonix Gold Octain have caused some problems for me before as they have a very bulky magnet at teh back which extends to the very max tolerance of clearence to the window!

The sound they give is not incredible but will be an improve ment over stock! my advice is try and go for a high qauilty speaker maybe JL or Kicker what ever the shop stocks!

Also while he's there give hima  couple packs of dynomat and do the doors   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Oh and that H/U is good but be warned Sont have ahad a lot of referbs with them as the fica removal system breaks and is very fragile so just look after it!

LeeUK

The price is for parts only, I was going to fit it myself as i've done a few installs in the past.

Yep i was going to dynamat it, i presume one pack of the stuff should do both doors?

So JL or kickers should fit ok then?  If thats the case i'll get a price.

I was in Rippspeed the other day and someone was in there with a newish Sony headunit complaining that it wasn't working.  That does put me of slightly.  My original plan was to get the top notch Alpine, which is totally bullet proof apparently!

Alpine:

But the sony looks soooo cool!
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

Tem

I just saw some new JVC models...they come with changeable faceplates (kinda like most modern mobile phones), so you can make it match your interior or whatever. And they also had some faceplates with images/patterns and said anything can be done with a custom order  s:) :) s:)

The dealer didn't really know much about the internals, but I can only assume it's the top quality that JVC has had for a while now...

Oh and the screen was some color graphics screen with fancy animations. Personally I think that was the best looking HU I've seen  s:) :) s:)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

Quote from: "LeeUK"Yep i was going to dynamat it, i presume one pack of the stuff should do both doors?
I used a wedge pack (4ft sq) per door, I think one would be stretching it a little thin.

Quote from: "LeeUK"So JL or kickers should fit ok then?  If thats the case i'll get a price.
With spacers they should be fine, Buster will give a definate yay or nay though, I'm still in training!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Quote from: "LeeUK"I was in Rippspeed the other day and someone was in there with a newish Sony headunit complaining that it wasn't working.  That does put me of slightly.
I've got a Sony CDX-CA900 and had no trouble with it whatsoever, I commented on another thread that it barely gets warm too, so I'm not too worried about it blowing up any time soon either!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

LeeUK

Okay well i'm goning for the Sony, i do take care of my toys so it shouldn't brake!

If Buster could give me the nod that the JL & Kickers will definately fit that would be great.  I presume they will as he recommended them.

Also, Buster, how much for the spacers you make up? Or will a large crate of Larger do the trick?!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

Slacey

Quote from: "LeeUK"Also, Buster, how much for the spacers you make up? Or will a large crate of Larger do the trick?!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Knowing Buster, I think the crate will definately do the trick!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Im a highly tunned athlet !   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

But get some prices on teh Jl and Kicker and try and get the spec,

It need to be less than 100mm mounting depth + 12mm MDF of course so idealy i would think that you could get away with 105mm happily,

But get the spec and post it and we chall have a  read throguh

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

But i can make you up a set of spacers let me know hen you want them buy !

heathstimpson

The cheapest I have seen the HU for is about £410 so it looks to be a good deal. The reviews I have read really rate this Sony. I'm getting very tempted to go for one of these now myself. I bet the screen graphics look good at night...
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Slacey

Quote from: "heathstimpson"I bet the screen graphics look good at night...
I'm sure they do, my Sony isn't half as fancy looking as that, but I find mine with it's dancing graphics distracting, to the point where I sometimes flip the front down so I can't see it!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

LeeUK

I'll phone the speaker people tomorrow.

I'm not sure when exactly when i'll be getting the speakers and head-unit yet or when i'll need the spacers.  I'm jet-setting this month and i've got a feeling i'm not going to have much money left now!

I'll say maybe next month now.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
[size=100]JELBE[/size]

[/color]

Tags: