Simon's eyebrow installation guide.

Started by Anonymous, December 31, 2006, 14:56

Anonymous

This is the guide taken from my last GB in Spyderchat last year. I'm recording this in ROC in preparation for my eyebrow GB for all of you. If you have any question, please feel free to ask and discuss.

Here it is...

Eyebrows installation guide.[/u]

Disclaimer[/u]

This installation guide is in no way a guarantee of how these eyebrows are to be done, but only a demostration of how I've installed the eyebrows myself. Some of the methods and ideas I've included in this guides are advises from professional bodyshops, and experiences I've gained first hand while installing these eyebrows. Therefore, you may have other methods/ways and opinions that are different from mine. While I try my best to suggest the best methods that I see fit, I cannot guarantee that they will work on you. So please don't hold me liable for any mishaps that may result from following my guide. This guide is only meant to be a reference for you, and only proceed to install your eyebrows after you have fully researched the best method available.

Things you may need[/u]
1) A pair of gloves to prevent dirtying your hands during the process.
2) Silicon sealant and the sealant gun(Refer to Photo 4, 5 and 6)
3) Double-sided tape. I recommend 3M red double-sided tape, or Nikko Tape made in Japan.
4) A pail of soapy water.
5) Ducting tape.
6) A piece of carwash cloth.
7) Sharpie pen.

Step 1

Before beginning with the installation, wash the headlights and its surrounding thoroughly with soapy water. Wipe them clean and free of all dirt with your carwash cloth and allow to dry.

PHOTO 1

While waiting for the headlights to dry, you may proceed to tape the undersides of your eyebrows (Step 2), OR you can do Step 2 first prior to washing your headlights. It's your choice.

Step 2

Tape your eyebrows using your double-sided tape. For this installation, I have chosen the 3M Red double-sided tape.. It comes in a big roll, and will be enough for both eyebrows. Here's how the tape looks like. (Refer to Photo 2)

While you are taping your eyebrows, please make sure you allow a 1/5" gap from the edges. This is to make sure that when the eyebrows are finally installed, the tapes will not be showing through. This is how I've taped my eyebrows.

PHOTO 2

PHOTO 3

Make sure you have done up both side of your eyebrows before you prceed further.

Step 3

Once you have taped your eyebrows, it's time to test fit your eyebrows. This step will allow you to visually gauge the installed position of your eyebrows. I recommend you to install your eyebrows one at a time from this step on. So take one of your eyebrows, adjust it visually on the corresponding headlight until you are satisfied with the position. Mentally remember this position, and once the silicon sealant is applied and stuck to you headlight, you won't have much freedom for adjustment. Therefore, try to get it right the first time.

As you can see from PHOTO 2 and PHOTO 3, I had made a mark with a sharpie pen on the underside of the headlights. This is the position for MASSIVE chunk of sealant. You may test fit your eyebrows, and see for yourself which are the parts that require more sealant to be applied, and mark them accordingly at the undersides. I had marked only one spot as that's the position I had determined to require extra sealant for long term usage and durability. But you may think otherwise though. You can make your choice here.

Step 4

So you done with Step 3? Fine, let's continue...

It's time now to apply the silicon sealant. As I've previously mentioned in my previous post, silicon sealant is essential for longevity and will prevent your eyebrows from flying off during high speed.

I've chosen SikaFlex-255Extra. In order to use this sealant, you will need the sealant handgun as well (Photo 6)

PHOTO 4

PHOTO 5

PHOTO 6

Before you apply the sealant, make sure you peel off the protective film from the applied double-sided tape. I've made the mistake of leaving them on before applying the sealant and I dirtied my hands with the sealant after that while peeling them off for the installation. So make sure you peel them off NOW!!

Wear your gloves, slot the sealant into the handgun and let's apply some sealant!!!  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

Make sure you leave some space (about 1/2") from the double-sided tapes while you apply your sealant. This is to ensure that when the eyebrows are installed, the squashed sealant will not cover the tapes. We need both of them to get the eyebrows properly installed. So remember leaving a wide eough gap between the tapes and the sealant!!

You will find that you need alot of strength squeezing the handgun. You will have problem holding it steady too while at the same time squeezing a continuous and generous line of sealant. Therefore, please take your time, and hold your breath while you do so. It often helps in steadying your hands.

There is really no need to achieve a continuous line of sealant. But it is essential that you have a generous amount of it on the eyebrows. So if you are tired from squeezing the handgun, just take a breather.

Here is how I've done the sealant.

PHOTO 7

Be generous with the sealant, and outlined the surrounding inner edges of the double-sided tapes with the sealant. I've made two big blot of sealant in the middle where I had marked with the sharipe pen. You are better off giving a generous portion of sealant in the midlle where you choose to have extra sealant. More is better than less, as the more sealant you apply will ensure the eyebrows are better stucked to your headlights.

Here is the other eyebrow with sealant done up. (Don't follow how I've applied the sealant in this photo, as I've made a mistake here. If you do as how I've applied the sealant, the sealant will smudge onto the double-sided tapes as it is too close to the edge of the tape. Do as how it was done in Photo 7)

PHOTO 8

See the area that I've circled in red? As one of the eyebrows does not confrom to the shape of the headlight, the area circled will not be properly stucked to it. Therefore, extra precaution must be taken to ensure proper fitment. Having said that, I cannot fully guarantee that you will achieve 100% satisfaction following my process, but this is how I've done the installation.

I've given a blot of sealant at the circled area. Be generous with the sealant, as you can always clean and wash the sealant off if it oozes of from the side.

Once you have fully applied with the silicon sealant, double check if you have missed any spots. Now it's time to stick in onto your headlight.

I hope you know the ideal postion for your eyebrow on your headlight at this point. But even if you don't, it shouldn't be a problem. Just do the sticking on carefully, and you should be all right. Check visually for best fitment as you apply the eyebrow. It's always recommended to take this process slowly.

Once you have the eyebrow stuck to the headlight, use both you hands, apply force on the eyebrows to make sure they are stuck properly. If you have noticed any sealant oozing out from the sides, don't clean them off just yet. You have plenty of time to do so later on. The sealant will not fully cure for another 24 hours.

A constant force is needed on the eyebrows to ensure the sealant on them are adhered to the headlights UNTIL THEY ARE FULLY CURED. Since you can't humanly do so for the next 24 hours, something else must be done (Step 5). But for the mean time, apply pressure on the headlights for the next 3-5 minutes.

Step 5

Ok, here's the part where it can get a little personal. You may do whatever way as you see fit, but basically, this is the part where we will duct taped the eyebrows to your front hood/front bumper/front fenders. Various ways of taping are possible. I will outline the more common ways.

Get ready your duct tapes. It will be best if you have a helper at hand. If you don't, it's alright I guess, just make sure the eyebrows are fully stucked to your headlight. A helper is helpful as he/she can help you tape your eyebrows while you hold the eyebrow in place.

Tape the eyebrows in a "X" fashion. Generally, you should tape the areas that are more "stubborn" and less conforming to the shape of your headlights. One of the more problematic area is the spot that I had circled in red on Photo 8. So make sure you know which are the stubborn areas and have extra duct tapes across them. Please take note of the following fine points:-

1) Make sure the eyebrow is in place and not sliding around.
2) While taping, always ensure you fully extend and tighten the tape, and tape them accordingly on your front hood, bumper and fenders. Make sure the tapes can hold the eyebrow in place. If in doubt, it's always advisable to use more tapes.

PHOTO 9 (I have used Scotch tape instead, as I can't find any duct tapes around)

Make sure the tapes can fully secure the eyebrow in place. Now it's not the time to care how nice your car looks. The duct tapes are silly, but you will need to have them on for AT LEAST 24 HOURS for the silicon sealant to fully cure. So if it's possible, it is highly recommended not the drive your car for the next 1 day.

A friend of mine have open his front hood, and have the tapes stretched inside, taping around the inner edges of the headlight units. When the hood is closed, it will further hold the eyebrow in place since additional pressure is applied on the tapes when the hood is closed.

You must decide which method works best for you, as there are no fixed areas where the tapes should go to. You SHOULD examine the surrounding areas of the headlights to find these areas, and these areas are generally found only if you have test fitted your eyebrows before any double-sided tapes/sealant are applied.

Here are some photos of one side of the headlights done up.

PHOTO 10

PHOTO 11

PHOTO 12

If you have come this far, you should be alright. Take a break. Let you hands rest for a moment from the strenuous exercise they have gone through from squeezing the handgun. Once you are ready, repeat STEP 1-5 for the other eyebrow. When you are done, you should have something like this:-

PHOTO 13

AFTERTHOUGHTS[/u]

I've helped another Malaysian owner installed his black eyebrows. After having the eyebrows on for a week, they have conformed to the headlights extremely well. The only problem that he has encountered is the red circled area I've mentioned earlier. It is not fully stucked to the headlights. They look alright from the front, but from the side, you can still see a tiny gaps seperating the headlights and the eyebrows. I wll try to update some photos of his eyebrows if I can.

Some friends of mine suggested torching the underside of the eyebrows for better fitment. If you feel you are not up to it for a clean and professional installation, I advise you to get professional help from a bodyshop.

As always, I welcome all suggestion relating to this installation. I don't believe I have the best method, as I know there are people out there that are more handy and experienced in DIY. So please post away your suggestions and comments!!

BTW, that's not my car in the photos.

Tags: