C-One Sports Final Gear Set

Started by Anonymous, February 8, 2007, 22:40

Anonymous

C-ONE

can someone tell me what this actually does?!

aaronjb

It's a (considerably) shorter final-drive.  Faster acceleration at the expense of higher cruising RPM and lower top speed.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

changes the final gear ratio, shortening it, but it means splitting the gearbox, so you'd need to factor that cost in
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"It's a (considerably) shorter final-drive.  Faster acceleration at the expense of higher cruising RPM and lower top speed.

a know it says final gear but does that in effect make the acceleration faster in each gear?!

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"changes the final gear ratio, shortening it, but it means splitting the gearbox, so you'd need to factor that cost in

would this be useful on a turbo application?!

aaronjb

Quote from: "bossman23780"
Quote from: "aaronjb"It's a (considerably) shorter final-drive.  Faster acceleration at the expense of higher cruising RPM and lower top speed.

a know it says final gear but does that in effect make the acceleration faster in each gear?!

Here it is again:
Faster acceleration at the expense of higher cruising RPM and lower top speed.

It's the final-drive, so it's not a single gear, it's the gear that all drive gears pass through on their way out of the box (hence the 'final' bit), so, yes, all gears are affected.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

shows how much i know   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

i misread it as fifth   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

edward.carter

Quote from: "bossman23780"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"changes the final gear ratio, shortening it, but it means splitting the gearbox, so you'd need to factor that cost in

would this be useful on a turbo application?!
i wouldnt of thought so because of the reduced top speed, you would be topped out in no time.

kanujunkie

yeah i agree, the turbo shifts gears quicker and even 6th can sometimes appear to be too short
[size=100]Stu[/size]

ChrisGB

Quote from: "bossman23780"C-ONE

can someone tell me what this actually does?!

As stated above, it reduces the final drive ratio so you end up doing more revs for any given speed in any given gear. On the upside, it will enable you to accellerate faster. The '2 is over geared anyway IMO. On the downside, that overgearing is nice on the road as you get relatively relaxed cruising on the motorway.

If your car spends most of its time on track, I would reckon this to be a viable mod.

Dont happen to know what ratio change from this to stock is do you? C-One also do a close ratio kit for the gearbox.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

well reading what you guys have mentioned it probably wouldnt be that viable for a turbo'd 2 but i definitly would do it if i hadnt got i TTET, it would also be interesting to see that on the 2ZZ!

kanujunkie

Quote from: "bossman23780"it would also be interesting to see that on the 2ZZ!

which would suffer as bad as a turbo'd 2
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

well on that basis of what youre saying! what was the point of ever making this part?!

markiii

how about for an N/A 1zz?

which is what they made it for  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

its based around a base 1ZZ and the power it produces, not any other scenario, by increaseing the engine power your effectively decreaseing the run time for any given gear, basically your going to run out of any selected gear very quickly
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

im confused then!

they make this for the 2zz aswell and i thought seeing as that has higher revs it might be better applied for that engine!

but regards to this item, i think it could be a good mod especially as its tricky to gain much on a n/a 1zz, so every bit helps   s:) :) s:)

kanujunkie

sorry didn't realise they make it for the 2ZZ as well, that will of course be geared for that engine so it will work in that scenario

you may want to factor in the cost of a lightened flywheel and a new clutch whilst your in there, it could save you money in the long run
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

i just wondered what it might have been like on a turbo'd car thats all!

ive already got the other stuff such as clutch, lsd etc upgraded so i reakon it would be an expensive mod!  

still! i will keep it in mind!

Anonymous

Ok, so i was thinking about still getting one of these but after everything that has happened to peeps gearboxes and all the talk about gear ratio's! im not actually sure this will fit a UK/EURO gearbox because it says it fits/replaces the genuine ratio 4.312 and according to current info the uk ratio is 3.941!

So am i right that tis wont fit and theres no way it can fit, its only designed for the US/JSPEC gear ratios?

aaronjb

Any 5 speed final drive set (pinion & ring) should fit any other 5 speed output shaft, and any 6 speed final drive set should fit any other 6 speed output shaft..

It's just between the 5 & 6 speed that you can't swap, as the output shafts are different.

(The above came from LR over on SC)

[edit] I should clarify here - the reason you can't swap is actually beacuse the pinion gear is part of the output shaft.. Changing the FD is a full box rebuild, which won't be cheap (you have to swap all of the gear sets from one output shaft to the other)

markiii

so Aaron if I want to buy just teh j-spec final drive ratio and keep my lsd, what exactly do I need to order, I'm going round in circles with Graham trying to get a price at teh mo
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

I spotted that - actually the inference I got from his last post on SC was that he knows what you want, just doesn't want to sell it to you because he thinks it's a silly idea  s:? :? s:?  Which is weird!

You need the pinion (which is part of the output shaft) and ring gear (which fits on to the LSD).

Are you getting these for your original 5spd, or for the 6spd we put in?  Either way you might as well get the J-spec 2nd & 3rd gears too, seeing as you've got to get the whole box pulled apart anyway..

markiii

stu and I have a cunning plan to both end up with 6 speed j-spec boxes

with lsd

if I can get a good price on the final drive

aaronjb

Does this plan involve you stealing Stu's gearbox while he's not looking?  s;) ;) s;)

markiii

Quote from: "aaronjb"I spotted that - actually the inference I got from his last post on SC was that he knows what you want, just doesn't want to sell it to you because he thinks it's a silly idea  s:? :? s:?  Which is weird!

You need the pinion (which is part of the output shaft) and ring gear (which fits on to the LSD).

Are you getting these for your original 5spd, or for the 6spd we put in?  Either way you might as well get the J-spec 2nd & 3rd gears too, seeing as you've got to get the whole box pulled apart anyway..

so does that mean I need teh whole output shaft?

Tags: