Woohoo I'm Back...

Started by Chris, November 10, 2003, 16:39

Chris

Well well well...

that's been an 'interesting' few weeks...

for those that care or are just plain nosey, I hadn't been abducted by aliens or anything, but suffered an acute brain haemorrhage, which lead to several seizures and consequent hospital treatment.

I'm back home now, recovering and feeling much better, but the major downer is that I can't drive for a year   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

So this leaves me with a dilemma about what to do with my '2:
Keep it for a year, or sell it now and buy another one later....

I wanna keep it (obviously  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ), but not sure that this is the most logically/financially sensible thing to do...  I bought it for 16700 and still owe 12100 on my loan. Parkers reckon's it should be worth about 14000 for a private sale, so I just need to work out what it might be worth in a year's time - any one know any depreciation calculators?

cheers

ps it's good to be back - got loads of posts to read now though!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:) :) s:)
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Mate, sorry to hear about that.  Glad you're on the mend though!

On the one side selling your car now will save you depreciation.

On the flip side, if you hang onto the car, you'll have car with much lower than average mileage in a years time.  That said, I can't think that mileage would help that much on resale value.

Anonymous

oh sorry to hear about you not being well mate... hope your better now though.

SteveJ

I know someone that is looking for a car to borrow for a while <hint><hint>  s;) ;) s;)

Good to hear you're on the mend - strange Pudsey didn't mention you were ill

zud

Bloody Hell!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    

Glad to hear you're OK!!!

FWIW, my thoughts on sell or keep...

keep: the mods are yours, the car's unique.
sell: probably not good for it to sit idle for a year (tho' I'm sure you'd get a queue of volunteers willing to drive it from time to time!)
sell: dealers hit you for high mileage, but don't give much for low mileage!

Anyway, best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Comer

Hope you recover quickly Chris.  I know from a family friend how serious that can be.

As for the car, do you have a possible partner in crime to ferry you around?  

I had a Golf convertible once and I decided to go backpacking for a year and decided it had to go.  
You could put it up for sale at a highish price and if it goes it goes and you'll be happy at the price you get or you get tokeep the car you really wanted to keep.

With the '2 is not uncommon to drive them less at this time of year or put it in the garage for the winter months.  So you could end up only missing 6 months of the next year.  What's the target date or is it dependent on a check up?
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Chris

it's dependent on blood tests throughout, but the initial estimate is 12 months from the last attack, which would make it 28 Oct 2004, just enough to miss all the summer driving next year!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Thats a good point about it standing idle for a while - i've heard that you should keep them jacked up to avoid strain on the suspension, and run the engine for a while every so often.

Mine's already been standing on my drive for nearly 3 weeks - would it be ok to start? (presumably all the oil has sunk down out of the engine now...)
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  All sounds serious stuff but I take it you are over the worst.

Re: the car I would find it tough just seeing it sat under a sheet for a year not being able to drive it. With a year's worth of interest on the loan and no recompense for it behind the wheel, I would sell the car once any mods had been removed, stick the cash in a high interest account and use it as deposit for a new 2   s:P :P s:P

markiii

or alternatively, I realise there are medical grounds for not driving, but the only legal issue is public roads. Now if you could get someone to drive you to a track day?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

Chris, it's good to see you back - I did wonder where you had gone! I'm really sorry to hear about the illness - it doesn't seem that long since I last saw you and you seemed fine... one of those things you just don't see coming I guess - good to hear you're getting better though.

As for the car... I'd sell. Keep any good bits and buy another when you are cleared to drive again, and you will have some mods ready to go, but I can imagine what a hard decision it is   s:? :? s:?  

Best wishes mate,

Sean
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Geez mate!  Glad you are ok, must have been scary!

Not sure wot to say about the 2 other than what has already been said (crap english there then).

Anonymous

best wishes for a speedy recovery.
i would de-mod the car,put everything back on original and sell it.
stick the cash in a super high interest account and buy the 04 model if they release it next year.
that way you have something to look forward to when you have made a full recovery.  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Hi Chris, Sorry to hear about your problem and its a good job you were not driving at the time.

Personally I would also sell the car, and look towards buying a new one when well enough to drive. It would remove the temptation to give it a quick run as well.

Anonymous

Geez Chris!!! Nice to know you came out the other side! Thats BIG!!! great you're Ok though.....

As for the car, if you DO decide to keep it, then I would make sure that your 2 is kept relatively dry. The woman who had mine had it in storage for 6 months before I bought it and although it was garaged, it wasn't heated or climatised and the window rubbers had a little bit of green algae on them! Try and keep it nice and dry and at least a little heated and get someone to give it a spin every couple of weeks. Should have a lovely nice fit 2 to get back into when you are fit and ready!!!

Good luck with the recovery!!!

Tem

Quote from: "Chris"I wanna keep it (obviously  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ), but not sure that this is the most logically/financially sensible thing to do...

If we were logical and financially sensible, we would've bought a Yaris in the first place  s;) ;) s;)

Keep it. Sit in her once a month or so, make her shine like never before and maybe get some aftermarket parts during the year  s8) 8) s8)

And like someone already said, I'm sure you can drive on some closed area...track, autox?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Liz

Chris, so sorry to hear what has happened to you, and I really hope that you are making a speedy recovery...not to sure what to say about what you should do with the car but I think that maybe the 04 option would be good...and just think when you go back on the road we will all be after a ride in your new car!

Best wishes to you.  s:) :) s:)
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

heathstimpson

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate illness.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  My suggestion would be to sell and but again when you are allowed to drive.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Chris

thanks for all your kind words guys, i am making good progress.

i sounded out two local dealers on buying my car, and they weren't overyl enthusiastic (especially without being a part ex), and one even flat refused when told it was an smt!   s:? :? s:?    I'm may investigate a private sale, but not sure if I can be arsed with all the hassle.

I suppose it teaches you one thing - always keep your stock parts in case you need to revert to them - I didn't even think to ask for my stock exhaust back, and my airbox was cannabilised fairly rapidly!!

decisions, decisions...
[size=100]
[/size]

Tags: