Tyres... what to buy?

Started by Anonymous, March 5, 2007, 23:06

Anonymous

Okay time has come to replace my tyres on my 2...

whats the verdict on tyres?? i'd preferably like something that grips well in both wet and dry... or at least amazing in dry weather and half decent in the wet  s:D :D s:D

cheers much

btw. its yokohama things on it just now... i think they suck to be honest... but they came with the car!

Ernie Ball

Many here (including me) are happy with the Toyo Proxes T1-Rs but it will be rare to find anyone who has done a comparison of more than one or two brands of tyres on the same car.

enid_b

there is about 300 pages on tyres.

most folk seem to recommend toyo proxies

w www.blackcircles.com w  i believe is the place to get em cheap

google toyos or search here for tyre reviews

e
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

toyo proxies, make sure your sizes are staggered.

mytyres is cheaper.

Anonymous

i did have a wee shifty at the tyre reviews... but wasnt sure how old they were...

Anonymous

I've just put T1-Rs on from stock Bridgestones.  Not wanting to regenerate the the full tyre review thread here but I must confess of being dissapointed to date.  These tyres have generated more body roll & tramlining, I also get a feeling the car has developed a few degress of offset to the left from straight & level.  The transfere of weight when changing direction rapidly is very noticeable & turn-in is less responsive - all this is covered in other threads & is explained by tire wall stiffness.  On the up side fresh rubber has given me more grip in the wet and the ride is less harsh.  - As a low milage user I think I'd rather pay the extra &  have the performance of the Bridgestones.

Anonymous

im going to go for some Dunlop SP9000 next to try something different, there more of a summer tyre i would say but will do the job just aswell as any other tyre, these seem to get good reviews!

on the otherhand im running yokos still! and i think there brill, maybe all you need is some upgrades on bracing, these will make your drive alot better!

Anonymous

my cars standard, and in 8 months ive done in excess of 16k...

so id you have any tips on long wearin tyres that handle well... much appreciated  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

ive had my yokos from 11/05 and theres still about halfway threw the tread!

sorry this info is of no use most likely  s:) :) s:)  

oh and this is with a turbo car, i have a heavy accelerator foot   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Quote"on the otherhand I'm running yokos still! and i think there brill, maybe all you need is some upgrades on bracing, these will make your drive alot better!"

To me this sounds like remidial action, add bracing because the performance loss due a change of tyres.  Also soft wall tyres will still make a stiff chassis feel like it's rolling.  I'm going to play with the pressures to get the best out of them for the summer months.  I'm not sure where the few degrees offset came from.  The bridgestones came off with perfectly linear tyre ware. 20 mins later and with the new set on the 2' feels like the tracking is out    s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

well before i did any modding i felt to that the yokos werent that greatbut after improving certain areas mainly the bracing, something like the TTE or corkys, for me anyway, i relised that the cars drivability was anythig to do with the yokos!

if i werent changing the size of the wheels i would still go for yokos!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Andie_M"my cars standard, and in 8 months ive done in excess of 16k...

so id you have any tips on long wearin tyres that handle well... much appreciated  s:D :D s:D

I got 23k out of OEMs. However if the last 3mm or so coincides with winter months you'll need to tippy toe around   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Quote from: "bossman23780"if i werent changing the size of the wheels i would still go for yokos!

The only experience I've had with yokos was on my Celica GT .  These were phenominal in summer months on a dry road.  Not so good in winter tho.

Anonymous

tough for me to comment on other tyres only ran on yokos for this car as recommend! i would give them a thumbs up!

on the other hand i have a different LSD now and the 2 is totally different, wet weather is easy!

sorry andie i dont think my comments have helped in anyway   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Chris_h

Having just ordered Toyo T1R for a post 03 spec car, I can confirm that after exhaustive research, Mytyres is the cheapest.

Black circles were VERY uncompetitive on this tyre / size (but good on others, E tyres about £50 more and tyre traders within £20.

I was pleasantly surprised that my tyres...
2* 225/40/16
2* 195/50/15
were less than £170 delivered.

I happen to quite like the A043 in the dry - tonnes of feedback and the car feels alive. In the wet it is a different story.....

Oh and bear in mind you could be looking at a 10 day lead time.

Chris
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris_h"Oh and bear in mind you could be looking at a 10 day lead time.

Chris

Also check with Mr T.  The dealers in Chesterfield priced matched MyTyres  s:?: :?: s:?:  . Oh, and then proceeded to put the rears on back-to-front  s:o :o s:o

Anonymous

Slightly off topic I guess but does anyone know it etyres.co.uk are OK fitting 225/40/16 onto 7J wide rims?

(And yes, I have contacted them, they're not exactly prompt with their responses).

Ta,

Chris_h

Simon,

That is what everyone seems to use (225) - but do try mytyres.co.uk as I found them considerably cheaper than etyres.

They send you the tyres and provide a list of local fitters on their site - expect to pay between £10-£15 per corner for fitting.

Re. the Mr T price match. I never thought of that, but I imagine (shoot me down...) it would only be for OE Bridge or Yoko, as Toyo are generally a nightmare to get hold of through the usual outlets.

Chris
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris_h"That is what everyone seems to use (225) - but do try mytyres.co.uk as I found them considerably cheaper than etyres.

They send you the tyres and provide a list of local fitters on their site - expect to pay between £10-£15 per corner for fitting.

Yeah I know but its a convienence thing, I've got a new set of wheels in the garage that need tyres.
Don't fancy carting them to a tyre shop and then having to take my standard wheels/tyres back. (Not in the '2 anyways).
I don't want to get etyres out to my home and then have them go "oh, 7.5 wide is the smallest for 225/40 sir".

I'm probably worrying about nothing...  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

after all your help... turns out my brother had 2 spare 15" tyres lying about! so ive theived them  s8) 8) s8)

the yokos have been absolutely awful in the wet and i will NEVER go back to them!

not sure what make my brothers are, but they from his old mk2 mr2 so i recon they should be pretty decent for mines!

thanks tho everyone!

roger

Quote from: "Andie_M"after all your help... turns out my brother had 2 spare 15" tyres lying about! so ive theived them  s8) 8) s8)

not sure what make my brothers are, but they from his old mk2 mr2 so i recon they should be pretty decent for mines!

You might NOT be doing yourself a favour!!! Where are you fitting them... definitely don't mix makes on same axle. You do realise front and back are different sizes. Which are you matching? Don't know anything about Mk2's, what size are they? Just be very careful!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

mrsmr2

I can only comment on RE040s and T1-Rs.  I would go for the RE040s and live with the tramlining.  

The extra sharpness the RE040s give the car more than compensates.

To get the same sharpness with the T1-Rs involves inflating the tyres higher but reduces grip.

If you plan on doing track days then avoid the T1-Rs as they are too soft.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrsmr2"I can only comment on RE040s and T1-Rs.  I would go for the RE040s and live with the tramlining.  

The extra sharpness the RE040s give the car more than compensates.

To get the same sharpness with the T1-Rs involves inflating the tyres higher but reduces grip.

If you plan on doing track days then avoid the T1-Rs as they are too soft.

I 100% agree !

Tags: