fitted unichip

Started by Anonymous, June 4, 2007, 11:02

Anonymous

well arfter losing a bit of skin and a lot of sweat i finally got the unichip in and wow it really makes the car shift.  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  
i ended up drilling the bolts out, i had a go with the dremmel (hence the lost skin  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  ) but found it better to drill the bugers out then its just a case of pulling two sockets out and pluging two in leading from the chip
not too hard as long as you have small hands(borrow a child if ya can)   and really worth the effort the car has bags more pull and a better rev range. just arfter the install it was ideling a bit too high about 2k but arfter a ecu reset and a good thrash it was back to normal. mpg looks better but hard to tell yet but on the country roads it was soooo much fun.
if any one is thinking of going the way then do it IMHO its one of the best mod's for your car.  s:P :P s:P

Anonymous

I'm just about to install mine (had it for over .
2 months, sad or what!) I'm a bit worried about drilling the security bolt on the right hand side;it's very close to the wiring

Anonymous

Quote from: "essexmatt"well arfter losing a bit of skin and a lot of sweat i finally got the unichip in and wow it really makes the car shift.  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  
i ended up drilling the bolts out, i had a go with the dremmel (hence the lost skin  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  ) but found it better to drill the bugers out then its just a case of pulling two sockets out and pluging two in leading from the chip
not too hard as long as you have small hands(borrow a child if you can)   and really worth the effort the car has bags more pull and a better rev range. just arfter the install it was ideling a bit too high about 2k but arfter a ecu reset and a good thrash it was back to normal. mpg looks better but hard to tell yet but on the country roads it was soooo much fun.
if any one is thinking of going the way then do it IMHO its one of the best mod's for your car.  s:P :P s:P

Good isn't it?!!!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

heathstimpson

And I'll be selling mine with the harness in around a months time if anyones interested  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "sandstrain"I'm just about to install mine (had it for over .
2 months, sad or what!) I'm a bit worried about drilling the security bolt on the right hand side;it's very close to the wiring

dont worry about it i bought a set of tools to remove bolts and screws but ended up just drilling it out with a normal drill bit for metal.
start with a smaller bit first untill you just get past the head of the bolt then increase the size of the drill bit untill the head pop's off all in all took about 15 mins with a steady hand.
just dont sneeze   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Personally I used the dremmel to cut a slot in the head of the security bit then simply used a flatheaded screw driver to unscrew it like a normal screw. No need to drill the whole thing out. Took under 5 mins.

Anonymous

i bought a dremmel £60 and half way thought the first bolt it broke the motor was still going but the head had stopped spining.so stupid me touched the head and nearly cut me finger off   s:? :? s:?  long and short off it quick trip back to b&q money back and £5 on a few drill bits.
horses for courses i guess.
N.B take the hammer action off the drill first   s:P :P s:P

mr2mark

Just a little tip ......... I used a small drill bit to drill out the nipple bit inside the head of the screw , then I used a bigger MASONARY bit and REVERSED the drill ........ hey presto !! It took me about 10 mins all in all (half of that was setting the drill up   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Jigwar

Quote from: "essexmatt"horses for courses i guess

or how's about just using the appropriate security torx bit   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

uktotty

What you mean like these?

£3.99 is a lot cheaper than £60 for a Dremmel

aaronjb

Quote from: "sandstrain"2 months, sad or what!) I'm a bit worried about drilling the security bolt on the right hand side;it's very close to the wiring

Yeah, just ask Stu what happens if you're not paying attention to the dremel!
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spit

s:D :D s:D  That was another classic moment in the DIY world of the ROCster  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Quote from: "uktotty"What you mean like these?

Sadly, no. On '2s where there is an ECU plate fitted, a more rare 5-sided raised-centre security fitting is used.

But nice try  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

uktotty

I have an excuse as I have never seen under the bonnet of a 2

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "uktotty"I have an excuse as I have never seen under the bonnet of a 2

The plate in question is behind the seats   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Simon

spit

Not having a pop Russ - just want to make sure no-one goes to the effort of stripping down their car only to find that they don't have the correct service tool  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Just to add a bit more confusion, on the later models the star drive changes again, even Hyper Sport couldn't remove my plate - so out came the drill  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob.

uktotty

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"
Quote from: "uktotty"I have an excuse as I have never seen under the bonnet of a 2

The plate in question is behind the seats   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Simon
LMAO, i have so much to learn Obi Wan

Anonymous

Hi all
Just been reading all about the unichip and sounds possiblly the best perfomance mod you can do. Got quoted 450 all in. Supply, fitting and mapping. Is this a reasonable price?

rtbiscuit

am still to test drive a chipped car,

and the difference you feel is all before you've had it mapped properly on a rolling road,

then that is good  s:D :D s:D
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

roger

Quote from: "FGRob"Just to add a bit more confusion, on the later models the star drive changes again, even Hyper Sport couldn't remove my plate - so out came the drill  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob.

Not sure what "later" models are Rob, can't recall your plate, but my O4 uses the "standard" AST4570 5 star tamperproof bit.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "FGRob"Just to add a bit more confusion, on the later models the star drive changes again, even Hyper Sport couldn't remove my plate - so out came the drill  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob.

Not sure what "later" models are Rob, can't recall your plate, but my O4 uses the "standard" AST4570 5 star tamperproof bit.

Hi Roger

Mines a 54 plate, Hyper tried that bit and it didn't fit. If you remember after a certain date even the SP under bracing does not fit as well. Typical Toyota they like to keep you guessing  s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "alanb"Hi all
Just been reading all about the unichip and sounds possiblly the best perfomance mod you can do. Got quoted 450 all in. Supply, fitting and mapping. Is this a reasonable price?

that's reasonable especially as it includes mapping.

I may be selling mine in the next few months if you want to hold on.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "simonp"
Quote from: "alanb"Hi all

that's reasonable especially as it includes mapping.

thats only resonable if it includes the P'n'P harness
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

yup the harness cost me £200+vat so £450 all in is relly cheap.just make sure it is the plug and play harness or you will have to claim it on your insurance as the other option is hardwireing in to your ecu which you cant remove if you have prang

N.B you must tell your insurance company of any mod's you have made to your car as i have (run's outside to pull the unichip out)   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Quote from: "simonp"I may be selling mine in the next few months if you want to hold on.

Yes I would be interested pm me with details

Tags: